2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just throwing this out there, but someone tell me a PG that is playing better than Goran Dragic this season? 

Lol I am serious.  This guys is ballin'  People that don't pay attention to the Suns, have no clue how efficient this man has been for them.  

love this gif
YSeh2xR.gif

:pimp:

I'd take a healthy Russy even with my criticisms of him. Rose's game is lacking too much for me.
Rose has the same skillset. Both have improved their 3 point shooting, and the only difference is that Rose picks his spots and doesn't attack EVERY play. Rose is more willing to run the offense and take over late in games rather than attacking every single possession. They are virtually the same player. Always have been.

I'd take a healthy Russy even with my criticisms of him. Rose's game is lacking too much for me.
Rose has the same skillset. Both have improved their 3 point shooting, and the only difference is that Rose picks his spots and doesn't attack EVERY play. Rose is more willing to run the offense and take over late in games rather than attacking every single possession. They are virtually the same player. Always have been.
Eh, I see the differences and what both lack to say they're the same player. I'm not talking about what they improved upon. I'm talking things most dudes love to ignore or avoid like defense. While neither are past first pgs I'll take Russy.

Russell's problem isn't just taking shots, it's how he takes them. He goes mano-a-mano way too often and tries to play heroball. He'll come down and shoot on 3 straight possessions, even if your name is Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan that's not good basketball.

I love him on OKC but he needs to play smarter when he comes back
He goes "mano-a-mano" a lot because he's a nightmare matchup at the 1. Most nights opponents don't have anyone that can keep up with him and he knows it.
Then why isn't his efficiency higher? Because based on his career efficiency numbers, clearly he isn't as good of a scorer as he thinks he is. He can finish at the rim at will but takes way too many long jumpers, which neutralizes that matchup advantage and bails out the defense.

Someone just mentioned Goran Dragic, why is he more efficient than Westbrook? Because based on his stats he's more of a 'nightmare matchup' seeing as he can score just as much on less attempts, and gets to the line almost just as frequently. And is a much better 3pt% shooter. Why can't Westbrook do what Dragic is doing? Or as another example, Tony Parker?

Last edited:
Kings trading Thornton for Jason Terry and Reggie Evans just reminds me how far Terry has dropped off since that Championship run

Rondo isn't better than Westbrook in any fashion, chill.

Don't let his inflated assist #'s fool you, there are so many times he forces passes like Russ used to force shots.
1. So Russ has him beat in EVERY category? Nah.

2. Rondo sometimes forces passes, that is undeniable. The implication that Russ no longer forces shots is wrong though. Probably at a lesser volume than he used to...but it still happens.

Rondo and Russell's playing styles are so different it doesn't make much sense to compare them.
Basically.

Russ is absolutely a better fit for OKC though and I would never trade him for Rondo. They are a much greater threat with him and any conversations about how him and KD will mesh are beating a dead horse.

If you're looking to build a team and you're forced to choose between those two guys...it comes down to a matter of preference and what other pieces you have surrounding them. Personally, I'd pick Russ because he's 3 years younger, gives you more versatility as far as lineups + Rondo's biggest flaw is harder to overcome but it's not egregious if you wanna go with Rondo. Two completely different players.

Gerald Green had been ballin' out of control. He single handedly saved the Suns last night after that 20-2 run by Denver.

Phoenix is a pretty fun team to watch and the Dragon has been killing it all year.....even with Bledsoe out.

Russell's problem isn't just taking shots, it's how he takes them. He goes mano-a-mano way too often and tries to play heroball. He'll come down and shoot on 3 straight possessions, even if your name is Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan that's not good basketball.

He goes "mano-a-mano" a lot because he's a nightmare matchup at the 1. Most nights opponents don't have anyone that can keep up with him and he knows it.
Then why isn't his efficiency higher? Because based on his career efficiency numbers, clearly he isn't as good of a scorer as he thinks he is. He can finish at the rim at will but takes way too many long jumpers, which neutralizes that matchup advantage and bails out the defense.

Someone just mentioned Goran Dragic, why is he more efficient than Westbrook? Because based on his stats he's more of a 'nightmare matchup' seeing as he can score just as much on less attempts, and gets to the line almost just as frequently. And is a much better 3pt% shooter. Why can't Westbrook do what Dragic is doing? Or as another example, Tony Parker?
You have to stretch the defense and keep them honest with the 3pt shot. I'll agree he should probably take less but at the end of the day, he gives much much more than he takes away.

As for the Dragic comparison, I wouldn't know. Haven't watched the Suns much. As someone in here has already noted they're under the radar. Tony Parker is not a good comparison. Two completely different styles of play. Parker likes to probe defenses and exposes weakness. Westbrook plays the matchups and attacks regardless, setting the pace for the Thunder.

Kings trading Thornton for Jason Terry and Reggie Evans just reminds me how far Terry has dropped off since that Championship run
I'll spin this to the current convo and say that D Will not 'eem being brought up by a single person reminds me how far he's fallen off. And since people don't care as much about the Nets as the other team in NY...the focus on his drop off isn't getting the attention you think it would.

"Went from top 10 to not mentioned at all..."

I'll spin this to the current convo and say that D Will not 'eem being brought up by a single person reminds me how far he's fallen off. And since people don't care as much about the Nets as the other team in NY...the focus on his drop off isn't getting the attention you think it would.

"Went from top 10 to not mentioned at all..."
D Will's falloff might be the biggest in the league, as well as the quietest. His game is all smoke and mirrors now. Flashy dribble and the occasional bucket. Not an ounce of his once dominant self left.

You have to stretch the defense and keep them honest with the 3pt shot. I'll agree he should probably take less but at the end of the day, he gives much much more than he takes away.

As for the Dragic comparison, I wouldn't know. Haven't watched the Suns much. As someone in here has already noted they're under the radar. Tony Parker is not a good comparison. Two completely different styles of play. Parker likes to probe defenses and exposes weakness. Westbrook plays the matchups and attacks regardless, setting the pace for the Thunder.
The key to Dragic and Parker's efficiency is that they don't take ill advised jumpers. It's not just Westbrook's three-point shooting that is poor, he takes a lot of long twos out of the flow of the offense. I agree that he is overall a good fit, but he needs to cut that out because it's cost them games and may continue to do so.

Westbrook would be the best pg in the league if he improved his shot selection, that's his #1 problem

@DT43  I mean you also have to consider that he's a what 5th or 6th year PG playing under Scott Brooks. Not really fair to compare him to TP, a 13 year vet who came up under Pop. The right coach would make better use of Russ. And at the end of the day, I'll suffer the poor shot selection for the fearlessness that produced Russy's last playoff run.

Jason Terry trade done?
RT @DailyFantsyLove: Nets agree to acquire SG Marcus Thornton from Kings for G Jason Terry, F Reggie Evans, sources told ESPN (ESPN) http://t.co/SFdwq0mALh

Last edited:
The Nets are able to move Jason Terry and Reggie Evans without any issues, but the Knicks can't move Iman Shumpert or Raymond Felton? :lol:

GM's obviously don't respect the Knicks organization or Steve Mills (Knicks GM) enough. The Knicks are the laughing stock of the league.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom