2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some nter on twitter lost a bet to me and never paid. What's worse is that he even wanted to bet more during the game. I lost $10 to finns once :lol:

I bash Brooks too but honestly... how many coaches in the L would we consider "good" ?
People just blame coaches for everything.  Every fan seems to think their coach is the worst in the world and they could do better.  "Nate Robinson should be a star!  You're just using him wrong!"

Last edited:

I bash Brooks too but honestly... how many coaches in the L would we consider "good" ?
People just blame coaches for everything.  Every fan seems to think their coach is the worst in the world and they could do better.  "Nate Robinson should be a star!  You're just using him wrong!"
yup, every coach has his pros and cons

people just like to only focus on the cons or only focus on the pros (this also applies to the way people think about players)

And lebron dropping 60 is very impressive but I'm damn near numb to 60 points at this point unless it comes from someone I don't expect... like Mario chalmers lol. I just expect guys like bron, kobe, kd, melo to get those games where they can't miss if they tried idk

Stevens is just one of those guys who's been anointed as a good coach for some reason.  So he'll carry that reputation for a while.  Because no one in the media/fan side seems to actually have any idea what coaches actually do or who is good and bad.

Look at Doc Rivers.  People were mocking him, Bill Simmons writing about how he is one of the worst coaches in the league.  A few years later he's on some elite level.

Tom Thibodeau is called a genius despite never winning anything significant as a head coach and only being able to coach one side of the ball.  Meanwhile D'antoni is slammed for only coaching offense despite having one of the great non-championship winning runs with the Suns.

Last year Knick fans were loving Mike Woodson, now they hate him.  

Jeff Van Gundy is remembered as an amazing coach even though his teams were always offensively clueless and he was never even close to a championship outside of one miracle run where his team got dominated in the finals.  Meanwhile Stan rarely gets mentioned despite building a far more complete and unique style of team in Orlando.

People just decide if they like the look of a guy and go from there.

Coaching has got to be the most overrated aspect of the NBA game.

With Rare exception, (See Phil Jackson for a great coach. See Scott Brooks for a bad coach) the success and failure in the NBA is due largely to the players you have man. That's it. If you have the best players, you are going to win. If you don't have good players on your team, you are going to lose. It's really that simple. The best players win the games. Besides, with the 24 second shot clock, most plays get blown up and end up with a 1/5 or a 2/4 screen roll anyway. Typical NBA set: A few diversions and misdirections which don't work and end up in an ISO or a scree & roll.

i'd take stevens and hornacek over brooks in a heartbeat
what has stevens done though?
was a fan of his from butler.. but you can see he has that team playing hard, in spite of it's limitations..

hell he had jordan crawford playing pg and looking like a team player

thibs is also a guy i would love to have over brooks, granted someone would have to stop him from playing durant 40+ every night

Last edited:
I don't think people sleep on SVG, everybody saw and respected what he did with Orlando especially that last year with Dwight were he somehow kept winning despite the circus

Coaching has got to be the most overrated aspect of the NBA game.

With Rare exception, (See Phil Jackson for a great coach. See Scott Brooks for a bad coach) the success and failure in the NBA is due largely to the players you have man. That's it. If you have the best players, you are going to win. If you don't have good players on your team, you are going to lose. It's really that simple. The best players win the games. Besides, with the 24 second shot clock, most plays get blown up and end up with a 1/5 or a 2/4 screen roll anyway. Typical NBA set: A few diversions and misdirections which don't work and end up in an ISO or a scree & roll.
I mean the NBA is a player's league.  I assume that's what many of us enjoy about it.  A coach is limited into what he can do, it's not like football where he's up there calling every play.  It all comes down to the creativity and chemistry of the 5 men on the floor.

i'd take stevens and hornacek over brooks in a heartbeat
what has stevens done though?
was a fan of his from butler.. but you can see he has that team playing hard, in spite of it's limitations..

hell he jordan crawford playing pg and looking like a team player
everytime i have watched the celtics play they have been laughable. jeff green, sully, bass and rondo being back is more than enough to have more wins in the east than they currently do

yes im still mad he threw both games vs the lakers

coaching is understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the players that you have (and the opponents) and putting them in a position for them and ultimately the team to be successful..

pop is a perfect example of this, he looks at the personal that he has and adjusts.. sometimes game to game.. and year to year

Last edited:
I mean the NBA is a player's league.  I assume that's what many of us enjoy about it.  A coach is limited into what he can do, it's not like football where he's up there calling every play.  It all comes down to the creativity and chemistry of the 5 men on the floor.

Exactly right. It isn't like Football, or College basketball. It all boils down to how great of players you have that can play with the basketball, and whether or not they can create scoring opportunities for themselves and/or others whether through iSO or screen and roll. That's all the NBA is and that's what makes it such an enjoyable product.

coaching is understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the players that you have and putting them in a position for them and ultimately the team to be successful..

pop is a perfect example of this, he looks at the personal that he has and adjusts.. sometimes game to game.. and year to year
See I think the most underrated part of coaching in the NBA is teaching.  And that's what Pop is actually the best at, if you ever go back and read about his early years with Ginobili and Parker, etc.

Stevens is just one of those guys who's been anointed as a good coach for some reason.  So he'll carry that reputation for a while.  Because no one in the media/fan side seems to actually have any idea what coaches actually do or who is good and bad.

Look at Doc Rivers.  People were mocking him, Bill Simmons writing about how he is one of the worst coaches in the league.  A few years later he's on some elite level.

Tom Thibodeau is called a genius despite never winning anything significant as a head coach and only being able to coach one side of the ball.  Meanwhile D'antoni is slammed for only coaching offense despite having one of the great non-championship winning runs with the Suns.

Last year Knick fans were loving Mike Woodson, now they hate him.  

Jeff Van Gundy is remembered as an amazing coach even though his teams were always offensively clueless and he was never even close to a championship outside of one miracle run where his team got dominated in the finals.  Meanwhile Stan rarely gets mentioned despite building a far more complete and unique style of team in Orlando.

People just decide if they like the look of a guy and go from there.
yup, pop literally gave away a championship last year when he sad duncan when bosh got the rebound and passed it to ray allen but people dont care about that because hes a "good coach" so people ignore all the mistakes

when phil was our coach we got KILLED every year when it came to pnr defense but no one said anything but now everyone wants to blame dantoni when we cant defend a pick and roll

mike brown was....... actually hes just bad 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom