2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe d got lucky with that chip and squad.

Billups and Wallace were journey men.

He got Sheed because the trailblazers had to blow up the squad and the hawks are the hawks.
Can't say that. He went to 2 finals won one and they were consistently good even after they went to the finals. Flip started the downfall 
tired.gif

Joe d got lucky with that chip and squad.

Billups and Wallace were journey men.

He got Sheed because the trailblazers had to blow up the squad and the hawks are the hawks.
I don't think you can say he got lucky.  He got a little lucky with Sheed.  But Billups, Wallace, Hamilton, he all got for peanuts considering their production.  And drafting Prince as well.  He looked like the smartest guy around for a minute there.

I can't even blame Dumars that much for the Smith signing either. He got one of the most versatile forwards in the league while he was in his prime. Now it's just a matter of dealing Monroe for some perimeter help or trying to find a trade partner for Smith.
You are WAY too forgiving.  
*Zo.gif*
Edit:
Billups before landing on the Pistons had gone thru 4 teams and 5 years.

Wallace was a throw in to the Grant Hill trade.

Joe got lucky.
Chauncey proved he was legit in his run with the T'Wolves.

Wallace was not a "throw in". He was productive with the Magic. They just got desperate enough for Hill to throw him in the trade.

Last edited:
Stop.

It was the right pick and the right time.

And Darkos ceiling was higher then Melos at the time.

No it wasn't the right pick, never has never will be. Melo was a proven star even back in 2003, Darko was just tall and foreign at a time when everybody wanted the next Dirk. They foolishly chose Darko after the emergence of Tayshaun but would have been better drafting Mel to start and bringing Tayshaun off the bench, they needed more scoring.

Yeah, Joe goofed on that Darko pick. Every GM wanted to be the genius to discover the next European star and he whiffed on it. Everyone then was saying Melo should have been #2

Hindsight is 20/20.

Even Kiki Vandeweghe (Nuggets GM) said if he held the #2 pick, he would've gone with Darko over Melo too.

Yeah, Joe goofed on that Darko pick. Every GM wanted to be the genius to discover the next European star and he whiffed on it. Everyone then was saying Melo should have been #2

No way. Everyone was saying Darko was a better prospect. Plus he was a Center. It wasn't just the Euro thing, it was the "young, skilled big man" thing. As was said, Denver was planning on taking Darko over Melo if they had the choice.

In all seriousness anyway, shouldn't we be talking about Dumars taking Darko over Wade anyway? Re-do that draft and Wade goes #2 by a mile.

Nah.
Horry is.

7 rings > 6 rings

I meant MJ as GM for seeing Adam Morrison's championship potential.

On August 3, 2000, he was traded along with Chucky Atkins to the Detroit Pistons for Grant Hill, in what was at the time considered a one-sided trade; Hill had planned to sign with Orlando as an unrestricted free agent, but the sign and trade deal allowed Hill to receive a slightly more lucrative contract while Detroit received at least some compensation for losing its marquee player.

Nevermind. That was Ben.

Last edited:

No way. Everyone was saying Darko was a better prospect. Plus he was a Center. It wasn't just the Euro thing, it was the "young, skilled big man" thing. As was said, Denver was planning on taking Darko over Melo if they had the choice.

In all seriousness anyway, shouldn't we be talking about Dumars taking Darko over Wade anyway? Re-do that draft and Wade goes #2 by a mile.
True, but like @PMatic  said, hindsight is 20/20

darko was the right pick at that time. the pistons were in position to have their rookie sit and learn. larry brown wouldve kept melo on the bench as well.
losing to the spurs was the downfall. if the corpse of bob horry didnt rise in gm 5, the pistons were in position to repeat as champs.
also, the rise of lebron. his fourth qtr takeover was the beginning of the end for the pistons. from that series on, cleveland was not intimidated of detroit

Last edited:

HUH?

were you even old enough to watch TV and understand?

Darko was consensus #2 100%. No Lebron, hes got #1 without a doubt...

Pistons needed a bigman as well which is why it made sense. he was 18 years old and looked very good.

yall are crazy

HUH?

were you even old enough to watch TV and understand?

Darko was consensus #2 100%. No Lebron, hes got #1 without a doubt...

Pistons needed a bigman as well which is why it made sense. he was 18 years old and looked very good.

yall are crazy
Did you even read? I agreed with Pmatic when he said hindsight is 20/20. I forgot about that detail of the '03 draft. I'm so sorry Mr. NBA encyclopedia for missing such a detail. I'll never make that fatal mistake again with my limited NBA knowledge. 

Got this from another website

Here are the free agents Dumars has signed in the decade since Rip Hamilton fled the Wizards for Motown, in reverse order: Josh Smith, Vernon Hamilton, Ike Diogu, washed-up Tracy McGrady, Chucky Atkins, Maceo Baston, washed-up Ben Wallace, Chris Wilcox, Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva, old Antonio McDyess, Kwame Brown, Will Bynum, washed-up Theo Ratliff, Gerald Fitch, Jarvis Hayes, deceased Chris Webber, Nazr Mohammed, Flip Murray, Ronald Dupree, Maurice Evans, the carcass of Dale Davis, mummified Elden Campbell, Nigel Dixon, Smush Parker, Terrance Shannon, Ronald Dupree, Antonio McDyess, Derrick Zimmerman, Ronald Dupree (yep, three times), Chris Garner, Rod Grizzard, A.J. Guyton, Justin Hamilton, Tang Hamilton and Darvin Ham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom