2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 5 rings is good for Kobe's legacy

Even if he got another one or two.....he's still not passing Jordan

6 rings undefeated > Kobe 5 rings with Finals losses, Magic's 5 rings with Finals losses, Shaqs 4 rings with Finals losses or Lebrons however many rings with Finals losses.
i never understood why "6 rings undefeated" is such a big deal

like how is going 6/6 in the finals better than going 6/8?

you are really dumb if you dont get THAT

So it really is a big deal to y'all? Still... Russell's 11/12 >>>>>>>> Jordan's 6/6

How silly is it that people actually think going 0-82 is the same as loosing in game 7 of the NBA finals. Life, like that example, is not close to being that black and white.

I'm sure the buffalo bills LOVE their legacy
I mean, they obviously would have loved to have won one, but in the end, 4 straight Super Bowls is some kind of special.

I'm sure every single person on those rosters would choose just one championship over 4 straight SB losses... and I'm also sure that every single person on those rosters would rather 4 straight SB losses over playing 4 seasons and never winning a game.

How silly is it that people actually think going 0-82 is the same as loosing in game 7 of the NBA finals. Life, like that example, is not close to being that black and white.
It seems like you're saying that someone who thinks '0-82 = Game 7 Finals loss' would be a black/white thinker.

And also seems like you're saying that life should not be thought of in terms of black/white, all/nothing thinking.

How very interesting.

I'd have to say I wholeheartedly agree, on both accounts.

I 've been on sports team that were awful and teams that were good, but not champs and teams that took it all. Obviously, nothing beats a championship, but IMO being good and coming up a little short >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than being terrible

When Durant becomes the best player in the world who will be #2

iqCXfc1wExhcR.gif

Betting on the man with kids to feed

It seems like you're saying that someone who thinks '0-82 = Game 7 Finals loss' would be a black/white thinker.

And also seems like you're saying that life should not be thought of in terms of black/white, all/nothing thinking.

How very interesting.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The idea that if you don't win it all, that it's somehow the same as going 0-82 is ridiculous to me. I understand that life and sports as a whole would be much easier to grasp and understand if it was that black and white, but sadly that's not the way it works. That's essentially like saying Karl Malone, John Stockton, Reggie Miller, Allen Iverson, Charles Barkley, their careers didn't mean **** because since they didn't win, it's like they played on a bunch of 0-82 teams.

It doesn't work like that. Making it all the way to the Super Bowl, NBA Finals means something. That's an incredible achievement. Being in the cellar and playing for a title is not even remotely the same. On another note, I do feel like people try to simplify things in life and make them black and white (such as race, ethnicity, politics, etc.) when it isn't that simple. But that's another topic for another time.

How very interesting.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The idea that if you don't win it all, that it's somehow the same as going 0-82 is ridiculous to me. I understand that life and sports as a whole would be much easier to grasp and understand if it was that black and white, but sadly that's not the way it works. That's essentially like saying Karl Malone, John Stockton, Reggie Miller, Allen Iverson, Charles Barkley, their careers didn't mean **** because since they didn't win, it's like they played on a bunch of 0-82 teams.

It doesn't work like that. Making it all the way to the Super Bowl, NBA Finals means something. That's an incredible achievement. Being in the cellar and playing for a title is not even remotely the same. On another note, I do feel like people try to simplify things in life and make them black and white (such as race, ethnicity, politics, etc.) when it isn't that simple. But that's another topic for another time.
In complete agreement.

I'm constantly telling people to try and get out of black/white, all/nothing mentalities.

A few Laker thread regulars know this. 
laugh.gif
 And a few are in denial about their all/nothing mentality.

"Those who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it."

Last edited:
I don't think Durant will be the best player. LOL He's always gonna be under LEBRON, because in this class, LBJ has dictated everything.

Durant

P.George 

are close though in terms of that wing-man

if durant passes lebron then wouldnt it make sense that lebron is #2?

unless you mean who's the next "next in line" guy

dont really see anyone in the NBA today that is good enough to play at that level so i would go with someone from this years draft (fingers crossed)

In complete agreement.

I'm constantly telling people to try and get out of black/white, all/nothing mentalities.

laugh.gif

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” 

This sums up what you are trying to say.  I don't feel like a player needs a championship ring to validate his career.  I can't say the same about Allen Iverson though, cuz as much as he introduced quickness and freshness, he was a total jerk!!

How very interesting.

In complete agreement.

laugh.gif

obviously they're not the same however one would hope that a team that goes 0-82 is only THAT bad because they are not trying to win or tanking. from that point of view you could say that the 0-82 team was successful in their goal to have the worst record, while the team that lost in game 7 was unsuccessful in their season goal of winning a championship.

of course whether is good or bad to tank is a whole nother argument, and 0-82 might get your team dropped from the league

imo the differences between losing in early rounds of the playoffs and losing in the finals is a more interesting argument

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom