2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

Manziel is drawing all sorts of red flags since winning the Heisman :smh:

He gets drunk and parties and goes out. God forbid a college student do any of those things. :lol:

People overreacting to the Manziel stuff. It's not like he's addicted to drugs or something. He's only doing the same things every other college student in America does. Let him live.

It's becoming a habit of him being a knucklehead.

Can't excuse his behavior when I can't readily think of other past star quarterback acting like this

He gets drunk and parties and goes out. God forbid a college student do any of those things. :lol:

People overreacting to the Manziel stuff. It's not like he's addicted to drugs or something. He's only doing the same things every other college student in America does. Let him live.

Can't excuse his behavior when I can't readily think of other past star quarterback acting like this

I'm sure Leinart, Barkley, Cam, McCoy etc all partied too. Only difference is they didn't do it in 2013 when social media is anywhere and everywhere you go. So everything he does is under a microscope and gets seen.

[COLOR=#red]I'm ready for the PS3 online league. Been practicing already.
The read option with #2 is dam near unstoppable...especially when you mix it up with playaction. I hot route my receivers differently almost every passing play depending on the defense...especially like the wheel route with my HB. I definitely spread the wealth with my receivers.
[/COLOR]

I'm sure Leinart, Barkley, Cam, McCoy etc all partied too. Only difference is they didn't do it in 2013 when social media is anywhere and everywhere you go. So everything he does is under a microscope and gets seen.

3 of those guys were in school very recently it's not like social media has drastically changed since then.

it's not just the assumed partying, it's just the whole Manziel deal right now, the constant interviews, the TV appearances, being at so many sporting events that he's giving Jimmy Goldstein a run for his money, the dumb tweets etc etc

Shouldn't he be in College Station working to get better?

If I'm a NFL team, I don't like it

Mike Mayock analyzes college QBs at Manning camp

By Kevin Patra NFL.com
Published: July 15, 2013 at 09:06 a.m. Updated: July 15, 2013 at 09:36 a.m.

While Johnny Manziel's "dehydration" is getting all the headlines, there were many other high-profile college quarterbacks who participated at the Manning Passing Academy.

Since the 2013 NFL Draft ended we've been starving for some Mike Mayock.

The scouting guru attended the academy this past weekend, and Monday morning on NFL Network's "NFL AM" he broke down some of the juniors and seniors we one day could see playing on Sundays.

Seniors

»Bryn Renner, North Carolina Tar Heels:

"He probably is the most polished of all the quarterbacks I saw," Mayock said. "Great feet, bigger kid than I thought -- 6-(foot)-3, 220 (pounds) -- ball comes out beautifully. His father is a highly recognized high school coach, so it doesn't surprise me that he is so polished."

»AJ McCarron, Alabama Crimson Tide:

"Kind of as advertised," Mayock said. "Ball comes out well, very, very smooth, great mechanics, good footwork. I think he's got good, but not great arm strength, and he is very accurate."

Brooks: Luck vs. Kaepernick
Andrew Luck and Colin
Kaepernick are emerging stars. Which QB is better? Bucky Brooks' pick might surprise you. More ...
»Stephen Morris, Miami Hurricanes:

Mayock called Morris "the guy I really enjoyed" watching at the Manning camp, then raved about the senior.

"I thought he threw a beautiful football," Mayock said. "He's got a big arm. He won the 'Air It Out' challenge, which they do on the final night there, which is a test of accuracy. Stephen Morris has got great mechanics. He was coached by Jedd Fisch at Miami, who is now the offensive coordinator with (the) Jacksonville (Jaguars), and you can see that (Morris has) really been developed well the last couple of years."

Juniors

»Devin Gardner, Michigan Wolverines:

"He's 6-(foot)-4, 210, he's got a buggy whip for an arm, he's highly athletic," said Mayock after pointing out Gardner started last year as a wide receiver. "He's raw as can be, but trust me, he's a redshirt junior, and this kid's got some ability. I'm really anxious to watch him develop this year."

Jeremiah: Instant-impact rookies
Daniel Jeremiah identifies seven rookies who are primed to make immediate contributions in the coming season. More ...
»Jeff Driskel, Florida Gators:

"Six-(foot)-4, 237 (pounds)," Mayock said. "This is a big, strong, prototype-looking kid. He's obviously and athlete. He ran the ball. I'm anxious to watch his tape this year and see how he develops into a passer."

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.

3 of those guys were in school very recently it's not like social media has drastically changed since then.

it's not just the assumed partying, it's just the whole Manziel deal right now, the constant interviews, the TV appearances, being at so many sporting events that he's giving Jimmy Goldstein a run for his money, the dumb tweets etc etc

You noticed all the TV appearances but missed all the sportscenter stories about him spending the off-season working out in San Diego with the QB Guru I suppose.

Spotlight on Manziel unprecedented
No college star has ever been as famous -- or as scrutinized -- due to social media
Originally Published: July 14, 2013
By Ivan Maisel | ESPN.com

Johnny ManzielJackson Laizure/Getty ImagesJohnny Manziel's offseason has been as legendary as his stellar Cotton Bowl performance.

By one measure -- sheer numbers -- Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel steps onto the podium Wednesday morning at SEC Media Days as the biggest celebrity college football has ever seen. Ever.

He has played one season, beaten one No. 1 Alabama, and won one Heisman Trophy. Yet you can make the case that no college player in the history of the game -- not Red Grange, not Archie Griffin, not Tim Tebow, not anyone -- has bathed in the heat of the American spotlight the way that Manziel has.

It has nothing to do with his 5,116 yards of total offense last season, or the 47 touchdowns for which he ran or threw. Not those numbers. It's the approximately 378,000 followers that Manziel has on Twitter. That is more than Texas A&M University, Texas A&M football, Aggie head coach Kevin Sumlin and the Southeastern Conference -- combined.

A marriage of personality and technology, of nickname and bandwidth, of style and characters -- 140 of them -- has made Manziel unlike any player who has come before.

MEDIA DAYS

SEC media days are Tuesday-Thursday. Get prepared the big names and big topics in Hoover, Ala. Aschoff

Media days mean the circus is coming soon to a city near you. Schlabach

The way that the redshirt sophomore known as Johnny Football created offense with his arm, his feet and his flair last season captivated any viewer with a pulse. More important, under the tutelage of Sumlin and former offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury, now the head coach at Texas Tech, Manziel took a team expected to struggle in its initial season in the SEC and led the Aggies to an 11-2 record and a top-five finish.

Manziel has refused to blink in the glare of the spotlight. Blink? Shoot, Manziel uses the spotlight like a tanning lamp.

"Knowing Johnny," Kingsbury said, "he's just a college student, and anybody that was in that position at age 20 would be taking advantage of it to the extent he is. That's what I see. He's gonna have fun with it. That's his personality. That's who he is. He's not on the side of Tebow. I think people were accustomed to seeing that kind of behavior, and that's not who he is."

Rather than shrink from the public, Manziel has gone on living his very non-Tebow life with his social media at the ready. That's what college students do today. They document their lives without realizing the whole world can watch.

"They express their celebration," said Jason Cook, the Texas A&M senior associate athletic director for external affairs. "They express things that they are doing, events they are going to. They express their frustrations via social media. I don't mean that there has been a change in how athletes engage and express themselves on campus. It's just that now there's this megaphone and there's this visibility into a day in the life that we haven't had before."

And what a life Manziel is living. There he is posing with LeBron James. There he is playing golf with country singer Kyle Park. There's Manziel tweeting and having Arizona Cardinals superstar Larry Fitzgerald retweeting in agreement.

It's all new and it's exciting and to the generation in charge, it's a little frightening, too. When Manziel left his job as counselor at the Manning Passing Academy this past weekend, the Twittersphere reported he had been dismissed. Then came the tweets suggesting he had been partying too much. There were photos of him and Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron in a bar.

The camp put out a statement that Manziel left because of illness. Peyton Manning told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that he would love for Manziel to return as a counselor next summer. That was one event on one weekend. The hyper-vigilance of social media can be exhausting.

[+] EnlargeJohnny Manziel
Margaret Norton/NBC/Getty ImagesIn December, Johnny Manziel was already sharing screen time with Megan Fox on "The Tonight Show."

"When Herschel Walker was here, tweeting was a sound a bird made," said Claude Felton, the Georgia senior associate athletic director. "The definition of media is a lot different than today. Just go back. There was no Internet. No cell phones. … There was not talk radio."

In the old days -- say, as late as five years ago -- college football programs had gatekeepers like Felton who could promote and protect their national figures. You can draw a timeline of college football heroes just by listing the media that covered them and the media that hadn't yet arrived.

In 1948, you couldn't walk past a newsstand anywhere in America without seeing Doak Walker on a magazine cover. But college football had yet to appear on national television.

In 1968, O.J. Simpson appeared on national TV four times. But there was no ESPN.

In 1984, the year America fell in love with Doug Flutie, ESPN began televising regular-season college football games. But there was no "College GameDay."

In 2007, Tebow and his 1,000-watt smile lifted the Heisman Trophy. But Twitter was just in its infancy.

Felton came to the Bulldog sports information office in 1979, the year before freshman tailback Herschel Walker lifted Georgia to the national championship. In 1980, Felton said, Walker and Georgia didn't appear on national television until the eighth game. ABC Sports picked most of its television schedule long before the season began. The cameras couldn't train onto a phenom the way they did on Manziel last season.

And now, everyone has a camera.

"If you're out on a Friday night," said Cook, the Aggie official, "there's 300 reporters surrounding you, watching every move that you make. They all have a camera and they all have a 'newspaper' at their fingertips. So there's a personal awareness and there's also a situational awareness. … When you talk about how things have changed, that's the big difference between then and now."

That's the world that officials such as Felton and Cook have to negotiate. As the chief media officers in their programs, they hold the responsibility for the interactions their student-athletes have with the public. Yet they are trying to steer a vehicle that they no longer control.

"I think our mindset is, 'Look, how do we provide additional context?'" Cook said. "Because you cannot know a person, what makes them tick, and the pressures they are under, in 140 characters. … I am still of a belief that Johnny Manziel is the same person who stood up in New York and gave one of the best Heisman acceptance speeches in history. That's Johnny Manziel. But people are trying to extract these moments throughout his life and trying to say that moment is who he is. Perception should be built on a whole collection of moments, not just 140 characters."

A year ago, Manziel had yet to win the job as starting quarterback. Sumlin appeared before the hundreds of media at SEC Media Days last July, answered 18 questions and never once mentioned Manziel's name. In a time when Twitter trends soar and plummet -- "Sharknado," anyone? -- it will be interesting to see whether Manziel's celebrity hinges upon his performance.

If he fails to lead the Aggies back to the top 10, will anyone care where he spends his Friday nights? That may be the true measure of college football celebrity. At least until the arrival of the next unknown superstar.

Last edited:
:lol: @ Billy Carlson. EWD, just get rosters. C'mon man....

Anyways, the microscope Johnny Manziel is under is crazy. Folks just wanting him to fail. :smh:

You noticed all the TV appearances but missed all the sportscenter stories about him spending the off-season working out in San Diego with the QB Guru I suppose.

I saw it

My bad for not mentioning the 4 days of work he got there. :rolleyes

Well in Manziel's defense, I'd find hit hard to believe that he isn't running 7 on 7, Passing drills w/ his WR's when he is in College Station

At least I would hope

You're crazy if you think Johnny hasn't been busting his *** to get better this offseason.

He partied the night before the Cotton Bowl and came out and put up one of the best CB performances ever.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he either gets arrested again or starts laying eggs on the field.

I want A&M to win the national championship

I don't want some miscommunication interception in the 4th quarter of some important game because Manziel and some receiver didnt get enough work because Johnny Football was busy having a six month Heisman celebration tour

[COLOR=#red]Lol Dre. But yeah I'm on the demo now practicing up...all I have to do is go to Walmart and get the game and get somebody's PSN name who uploaded the rosters.

Dam I'm so nervous about this season...all this offseason crap cannot be good at all. Hate to say it, but sometimes success can come too soon and too much. Then the highest highs become the lowest lows. I just hope that if it all goes down Sumlin survives somehow. In other words I hope he doesn't get Willingham-ed.

Oh and Tmay don't eem act like you didn't see my PM bro :nerd:[/COLOR]

Last edited:
He partied the night before the Cotton Bowl and came out and put up one of the best CB performances ever.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he either gets arrested again .

Yep that makes me feel real good about him

Red flags? Nope

Last edited:
Lol Dre. But yeah I'm on the demo now practicing up...all I have to do is go to Walmart and get the game and get somebody's PSN name who uploaded the rosters.

Dam I'm so nervous about this season...all this offseason crap cannot be good at all. Hate to say it, but sometimes success can come too soon and too much. Then the highest highs become the lowest lows. I just hope that if it all goes down Sumlin survives somehow. In other words I hope he doesn't get Willingham-ed.

Oh and Tmay don't eem act like you didn't see my PM bro
nerd.gif
Supposedly "PASTAPADRE" has the best rosters right now... But I'm on 360 and I think his PSN name is different. Quick google should help you find his PSN name.

^Community rosters on OS will be done later on today (PS3/XBox). Those will be the best out.

He gets drunk and parties and goes out. God forbid a college student do any of those things. laugh.gif

:lol: @ this excuse.

"every" :lol:

He's a high profile athlete and he needs to act accordingly, is it an overreaction, slightly but dude is reckless with his image. He will have bigger concerns when he moves on to the next level.

I read that Cortez Mcdowell was a silent to Jimbo for a few weeks now. But called Coach a cple days ago to tell him he's out.

Dude who is Malone's trainer (former Vol Cb) says don't read too much into the UGA hype w/ Him. That totally goes against what I've been told. So now, I have no clue. Its recruiting!

I read that Cortez Mcdowell was a silent to Jimbo for a few weeks now. But called Coach a cple days ago to tell him he's out.

We've been outbid! :smh:

But that makes sense though, Cause I've been expecting him to pop since June. Drastic change in his recruitment
Dude who is Malone's trainer (former Vol Cb) says don't read too much into the UGA hype w/ Him. That totally goes against what I've been told. So now, I have no clue. Its recruiting!

a-chance.gif

Back
Top Bottom