2014 NBA Draft Thread

Ben McLemore is TRASH. He's a BUST. Can't dribble the ball for ****. Only thing he was known for at KU was his shooting and he shot POORLY past year.

I think the people in the Kings organization feel the same way.

awwsome thinks damn near everyone is a star. I wish I was as optimistic about life as he is about prospects. :lol:

I can't even read his posts anymore cause every one is just "____ is going to flourish, man."

I think he's a bot.

Last edited:
I wish this was like 10 years ago so I could see awwsome posting "ya'll gotta let Darko flourish" "let Kwame be great man. I'm screenshotting all ya'll"

From Arm Tellem, so there's an obvious bias but he brings up good points:
Turn One-and-Done Into None-and-Done

One of Adam Silver’s top priorities since he became the N.B.A. commissioner this year has been to raise the draft eligibility age. The current minimum, 19 or one year removed from high school graduation, was established in the 2005 collective bargaining agreement.

With this year’s top four overall draft picks being college freshmen, Kentucky Coach John Calipari has denounced the so-called one-and-done rule and hopped aboard the stay-in-school bandwagon. John Skipper, ESPN’s president, has called one-and-done “the single worst violation of student-athlete relationships.” Given all the unjust N.C.A.A. regulations that govern amateur athletes, and given that only about eight freshmen are drafted every year, that’s saying a lot.

Some have suggested that the solution is to allow the N.B.A. to tack another year onto the provision, essentially creating two-and-done. In theory, prospects would be better prepared — on and off the court — and N.B.A. teams could better evaluate potential draftees on the college stage. Silver said the change would result in fewer lottery busts.

In reality, no amateur draft is more predictive than the N.B.A.’s. As an agent who represents 50 current pros, I can say with reasonable certainty that college seasoning doesn’t help general managers make better draft decisions. Nor does cosseted campus life prepare players for life in the N.B.A. The best high school basketball players become the best one-year college players, are the highest N.B.A. draft picks, and ultimately earn the most money from playing salaries and endorsements. Over the last three seasons, more than half of the N.B.A. All-Stars had either turned pro out of high school or been one-and-done.

Eighty-four percent of the high school players drafted from 1995 to 2005 had N.B.A. careers lasting at least eight seasons. The median career length was 10 seasons, more than double the average for an N.B.A. player. Of the 38 high school players drafted since 1995, when the rookie wage scale was introduced, 24 played in the N.B.A. this season, about 63 percent.

In contrast, 59 of the 82 college freshmen who turned pro since 1996 were still on active rosters, about 72 percent. Only a handful of players failed to pan out on the pro level, and one was seriously hurt before his rookie season.

History shows that teenagers have had great success in the league. Witness the career trajectories of Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Tony Parker, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose. Only Anthony, Bosh, Durant and Rose were one-and-done. The N.B.A.’s last seven Most Valuable Player awards went to players who entered the league as teenagers.

In most of this country’s other pro sports, prodigies are welcomed and their achievements celebrated. Hockey had Wayne Gretzky and Sidney Crosby; tennis had Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi and the Williams sisters. Two years ago, Jordan Spieth dropped out of the University of Texas after his sophomore year to become a professional golfer. At 19, he won the John Deere Classic, becoming the first teenager to win a PGA Tour event in 82 years. At this year’s Masters, Spieth shared the lead after the third round and finished as the youngest runner-up in the tournament’s history. How come no one has said Spieth’s decision to leave the Longhorns was bad for golf?

Major League Baseball allows high school stars to enter its draft, which is how, at the not-so-tender age of 19, Bryce Harper and Mike Trout became impact players. Among the Hall of Famers who made their debuts as teenagers were Bob Feller, Mickey Mantle, Johnny Bench, Brooks Robinson, Harmon Killebrew, Al Kaline, Ken Griffey Jr., Robin Yount and a pitcher named Babe Ruth.

Mark Emmert, the N.C.A.A. president, has voiced no objection to the 500 ballplayers who annually sign pro contracts out of high school. A vast majority of them will never play a major league game, even those drafted in the first round. Most toil in the minors, where they earn minor league salaries. The same goes for hockey players. The big difference is that M.L.B. and the N.H.L. let high school athletes choose between college and the pros.

Gifted high school basketball players should not be denied access to the job market in their sport. Turning pro is, after all, a career choice for only a select few. The longer a player is kept out of the draft, the greater the risk of a career-threatening injury. Consider the torn knee ligament that the top prospect Nerlens Noel sustained last year, or the recent stress fracture in Joel Embiid’s foot.

Instead of abetting the N.C.A.A., Silver should pressure the organization to make college athletics a more attractive option for underclassmen as they make the transition to the N.B.A. The N.C.A.A. and the N.B.A. should follow a model similar to the one in baseball, in which prospects are eligible to turn pro after high school or at the end of their third college season. (Basketball players should be eligible after two seasons.)

The N.C.A.A should also adapt to the N.B.A.’s draft timeline, which would allow players to work out for pro teams and, if they choose, withdraw their names 10 days before the draft. And the N.B.A. should develop a true minor league, not just a holding pen for mostly has-beens and never-weres. Instead of moving in lock step with the N.C.A.A., the N.B.A. should side with opportunity.

Top-tier European players can now exhaust the draft process and make an informed decision. College players should be afforded the same opportunity. If a college player ultimately makes an unwise decision, he should be allowed to return to college and participate again as an amateur.

In the end, despite all the earnest harrumphing of Emmert and Silver, age restrictions can be legislated only through collective bargaining. As the N.B.A. pushes for greater restrictions in the 2017 agreement, the players union should demand a rollback of draft eligibility rules to what they were a decade ago.

The typical N.B.A. career is quite short and very fragile. I hope the players come to appreciate why injury and salary concerns make none-and-done worth fighting for. They must speak with one voice, arguing for fair play and, in the case of one-and done, exposing unfair practices.
Link

Either you should come from high school and play a year euro or d-league or have to stay four years in college like everyone else

Tell em, Tellem. :pimp:

Either you should come from high school and play a year euro or d-league or have to stay four years in college like everyone else

:lol:, no.

You should be able to enter the league out of HS if a team is willing to draft you, bottom line.

They made guys like Wiggins/Parker basically waste a year they could've spent earning millions and sharpening their game against pro's rather than college kids.

Why don't we pay them while getting adjusted to the league instead of jumping straight in.

4 yrs? :lol:

Blame the 04 draft class for the reason players cant enter the league straight out of hs, lebron set the bar too high, had the media overrating players to the highest degree(telfair,livingston, jr, josh smith) & none of them showed flashes of living up to their expectations early on besides dwight, they even put jr & josh in the dunk contest their rookie season, dont act like these dudes werent hyped up

2001's high school kids were far worse than 2004

uhm what?

Tyson Chandler: Excelletn NBA player
Eddy Curry: Good enough to get a huge contreact before his heart problems
Diop: Gave you avaerage 8th pick production.

The 04 class was fine as well.

Dwight Howard: once a top 3 player in the league.
Al Jefferson: Relly good nba player.
Shaun Livingston: Promising before knee injury.
Jr Smith: Really good nba player
Josh smith: all star player
Dorell Wright: out performed 18th pick expectations

Telfair only bust.

High school players have historically been safer picks, people act like its some horror show of busts, the biggest busts have traditionally been seniors.

Last edited:
Ben McLemore is TRASH. He's a BUST. Can't dribble the ball for ****. Only thing he was known for at KU was his shooting and he shot POORLY past year.

Called this last year coming outta Kansas, people act like I was talking foolish. It was so clear to see, can't handle it, inconsistent on the J, stupid athletic but doesn't play like it and no heart. Sound allot like Wiggins to me.

Called this last year coming outta Kansas, people act like I was talking foolish. It was so clear to see, can't handle it, inconsistent on the J, stupid athletic but doesn't play like it and no heart. Sound allot like Wiggins to me.
Welp

Only thing I'll say is Wiggins plays with fire defensively and has the tools and length to be an elite defender on the next level. That alone makes Wiggins much more appealing than a Mclemore who seems to be despondent on both ends of the floor. Still not going to say he's trash though. Not yet at least

uhm what?

Telfair only bust.

High school players have historically been safer picks, people act like its some horror show of busts, the biggest busts have traditionally been seniors.
tyson chandler excellent player :lol:
Josh smith all star player :rofl:
Shuan livingston was putting up the same numbers as telfair but what made him promising
Diop career avg of 2.4. & 3.7 is avg 8th pick production :smh:

Only 3 all stars on that list & one with multiple appearances but telfair is the only bust

You just said some nonsense

2001's high school kids were far worse than 2004

uhm what?

Telfair only bust.

I think the 2001 post meant their first two or three years before they "did anything".

I know this is the 2014 prospects thread, but I'm looking forward to seeing Noel & (an in-shape) Anthony Bennett in summer league.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom