2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impressed? Mogs expected a TEDTalk from Embiid
laugh.gif
. It's childish toilet humor, relax.
Maybe impressed is the wrong word. I just don't think what he's doing is all that funny. Some stuff millions of people do on Twitter every day - he just happens to be an NBA player now.
I love it and most people love it because it's a young person living his life. Most NBA players Twitter accounts feel like they are ran by robots, whereas Embiid's is loose and you can tell he is the one behind it. Everyone with this 90s kids ish and thinking it will make him more famous for Twitter than basketball need to chill. Oh but I forgot we are in a society where you can't be human after you get to a certain tax bracket and everything has to be political.... 

[h2]T.J. Warren and the Demise of the Short Jumper[/h2]
tj-warren-tri.jpg

NBA
July 22, 2014

Last week, in the arid Vegas desert, I saw the steal of the 2014 NBA draft. Phoenix’s T.J. Warren lit up the night against Philadelphia, scoring 28 points on 12-of-22 shooting. The next day, against Minnesota, he put up 26 points on 11-of-18 shooting. Warren was dominant, but as strong as those performances were, questions still remain about his ability to perform in the real NBA.

The Suns selected Warren, the ACC player of the year and third-leading scorer in Division I last season, with the 14th pick of the draft. Despite his obvious scoring prowess, it’s how and where he scores that make him so intriguing. Warren is a true throwback, scoring in ways and in places that the league has largely forsaken.

In the time of the 3-and-D wing, the stretch 4, and the attack guard, Warren’s game is a time machine — he’s the kind of player who ruled the court before the 3-point shot. At times, he looks like Bernard King, a comparison I’ve heard from no fewer than three people in the last week.

bernardking.gif

Watching Warren play and thinking about King makes you realize how much the game has changed. King was masterful in an area you might call the inner midrange, the 2-point areas between four and 16 feet from the basket. It’s a highly defended court space in which only truly skilled athletes can score effectively. Warren is one such player, and he enters the league looking confident, athletic, and in possession of a freakishly soft and effective short jumper.

During the 2013-14 regular season, 78 NBA players attempted at least 150 shots between four and 16 feet. Only two made more than half of their attempts: Dwyane Wade and Dirk Nowitzki. Last year at NC State, Warren made just more than 50 percent of his 183 attempts from that same range. That may seem like an obscure stat, and in the 3-point era it kind of is, but looking at the list of top shooters in that inner midrange zone should still encourage Suns fans.

Last season, Warren was not only great in that inner-midrange area, he was also terrific near the rim.

Still, college is one thing, and the NBA is another. Real doubt persists about Warren’s ability to score going forward. He will face a much more dominant tier of interior defenders on a nightly basis. The league is chock-full of long leapers and hulky beasts who are the best in the world at obstructing the exact kinds of shots that he lives on.

Furthermore, as the league migrates to a perimeter-oriented brand of basketball, the midrange game is becoming less relevant.

Here’s the sad part: The 3-point line has eroded the value of players like Warren. It’s sad because scoring like King used to do requires equal parts intellect, athleticism, and practice. It’s pure basketball. Hitting a left shoulder half-hook over Roy Hibbert is the equivalent of blowing a fastball past a cleanup hitter; fooling Tim Duncan with a savvy up-and-under is akin to freezing Miguel Cabrera with an off-speed pitch. Unfortunately, given the way the league is trending, those skills have diminishing value, and guys who can do that are essentially like cinematographers who prefer to shoot in black and white.

The truth is that even the world’s best inner midrange shooters offer only marginally more scoring value than an average 3-point shooter. Not only is the league taking more 3s (and fewer midrange shots) than ever before, but rosters and salaries are beginning to reflect these trends. As a small forward trying to find a place in today’s NBA, it doesn’t bode well for Warren that he made just 17 of 88 shots (19 percent) beyond 16 feet last season. For him to maximize his value, Warren will not only have to continue his success close to the hoop, he’ll also have to improve both his frequency and his efficiency out on the perimeter.

Whether it was intended or not, the league’s growing infatuation with long-range shots must have a casualty. You can’t be the King anymore.

Last edited:
I love it and most people love it because it's a young person living his life. Most NBA players Twitter accounts feel like they are ran by robots, whereas Embiid's is loose and you can tell he is the one behind it. Everyone with this 90s kids ish and thinking it will make him more famous for Twitter than basketball need to chill. Oh but I forgot we are in a society where you can't be human after you get to a certain tax bracket and everything has to be political.... 

I hear you. I don't have a problem with what he's doing - just doesn't make me laugh all that much. But if other people are into it, great.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 1m
Minnesota's been determined to unload Kevin Martin and JJ Barea in a Love deal -- no easy task for Cavs to make work without a third team.

Another team wanting to dump Kevin Martin after only one season. What a surprise. :rolleyes

Minnesota should call the Mavs about Barea. If they brought Chandler back, why not JJ too?

I don't find this Embiid dude funny either. Not any of his tweets I've seen. Would it be funnier if I knew what he looked like? :lol: I know when I was scrolling past posts for the longest I thought you guys were misspelling embed.

It'd be great if Doc, CP3, and Blake left LAC cuz of Sterling. Doubt it though. It'd be surreal if Sterling is still owner at the start of the season.

Knicks fans been quiet.

Knicks tape still active?
Knicks pyramid is currently forming. That tape is now triangular.

...Doc Rivers and Chris Paul taking a stand?

RsUmcn1.gif

Julius Wrek
If they say it now in July, everyone will forget when October rolls around and they do nothing. Genius
Apart from the Drake skit at the Espy's and NBA heads followin' transactions and the off season,

I don't think the zeitgeist cared at this point.

To do something now in July would be smart,

albeit cowardly.

Doc and co. had the opportunity to do something historic when the news first broke.

Julius Wrek

Brian Windhorst [emoji]10004[/emoji] @WindhorstESPN
Follow
Cavs trading for John Lucas, Erik Murphy & Malcolm Thomas from Jazz to help facilitate Kevin Love trade, sources said. Yahoo reported 1st

Cue the *it's happening* GIF...

Wiggins will soon be Timberwolf. :pimp:

Embiid is on dumb mode. Get this dude off twitter before he ruins his career....

90's babies :rolleyes :smh:

u a disco man?
:lol: How you skip the entire 80s?

...Doc Rivers and Chris Paul taking a stand?

RsUmcn1.gif

Julius Wrek
If they say it now in July, everyone will forget when October rolls around and they do nothing. Genius

Apart from the Drake skit at the Espy's and NBA heads followin' transactions and the off season,

I don't think the zeitgeist cared at this point.

To do something now in July would be smart,

albeit cowardly.

Doc and co. had the opportunity to do something historic when the news first broke.

Julius Wrek
Dudes got families and a standard of living to maintain not to mention the penalties and consequences for walking, they don't got time for history :lol:

Minnesota should kiss Lebron's *** for going back to Cleveland because they weren't going to get a better deal for Love.

Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins/Bennett/Dieng is a solid rebuilding project

Then again can that even really be called rebuilding if they weren't **** to begin with?

Last edited:
Minnesota should kiss Lebron's *** for going back to Cleveland because they weren't going to get a better deal for Love.

Then again can that even really be called rebuilding if they weren't **** to begin with?

Wiggins is going to Toronto regardless though.

If Cavs chose Jabari they would've kept him.

But I bet Bari showed strong disinterest signals in joining the Cavs.

^That doesn't make sense. If they thought Jabari was that good that they wouldn't trade him for Love, they would've drafted him at number 1

Wiggins is going to Toronto regardless though.

Yep. Once a year if he plays in the west

laugh.gif
At the Dipset and Pause segue 

Jalen is watching battle rap now, this guys the realest dude ever

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom