2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The addition of Josh Smith could help with some of Houston's perimeter issues"

*plays good perimeter D*

*jacks up 3 in transition*

Yeah, Wade's not going anywhere regardless. He's getting those 20 Ms, speaking of which...

The Big 3 are open to a paycut... under the right situation. (USATSI)
More Offseason Analysis: Coaching changes, news | Free Agency | Draft

So the big question in Miami is whether the Triad of LeBron James, Chris Bosh, and Dwyane Wade will take paycuts in order to a. stay with the Heat and b. improve the roster. There's also the little matter of Micky Arison facing steep luxury tax penalties under the new CBA with the Big 3 around.

But the New York Daily News reports that James and Co. are not going to take a discount unless it makes the team better, Arison bottom line be damned.

As team insiders have maintained for months, James isn't interested in reducing his salary from $20.6 next season and $22.1 million in 2015-16 just so that team owner Micky Arison can avoid paying luxury taxes. As they say, been there, done that and all it got James was second place.

Bosh, who makes identical money to James, and Wade, who makes slightly less, at around $41.5 million for the next two seasons, also don't want to rework their deals solely to give Arison another tax break. They want the money put to good use, meaning adding talent so that Miami can return to the Finals for a fifth straight season. No team has done that since the Red Auerbach-led Celtics of the 1960s.

The Big Three would possibly do what Duncan has done for years so that Pat Riley has the means to bring in a young, athletic wing, along with other new parts. There will be talk about taking pay cuts to fit Carmelo Anthony in, but that is seen as far-fetched.

via It comes down to what dollars make sense for LeBron James and Heat after NBA finals loss - NY Daily News.

This all makes sense, right? The players will take less if they can improve the team, but not just to help out the owner who both has and makes more money than them, in part due to their contributions.

What's a little interesting about this is that it shows the continued tension between players and owners. Few people in the world are willing to take paycuts to help their employer out unless it improves their job security. But the Heat are specifically lead by three outspoken leaders of the players' association. And in part, the new rules are the results of the owners' efforts in the lockout to curb player salaries. So the players aren't going to sacrifice to help their owner, even if he didn't support such draconian measures and has been a freind to them, avoid the penalties his side pushed for.

Meanwhile, the Dwyane Wade decision still lingers largest. Wade is owned $40 million over the next two seasons. If he keeps that money, then goes for a two-year deal around $14 million to finish his career, that would put him at $54 million in total earnings from here on out from NBA salary. If he opts out, and takes a drop to $14 million for five years, that puts him at $70 million. It all depends on what kind of deal he thinks he can get on his next deal, or if he thinks he'll retire. Wade looked like a shell in the Finals.

For James, it comes down to whether the Heat have a plan that can convince him the team can improve. They didn't just lose to the Spurs, they were demolished. All of this factors into his decision. They have to convince him not only to stay, but to stay and take less money because the personnel they plan on acquiring will be worth it... then they have to go out and get those guys.

Did I mention this season is kind of a big deal for them?

-These stars aren't taking paycuts just for the sake of doing them anymore to save the owners cash, they gone have to field/maintain a winner without shortchanging the system.

Can anybody really see D-wade turning 20 mil a season down for two years? He is dumb if he does. Who else is going to be there for him when he retires? Miami fans will probably hate him but if I'm him...no way I walk away from that kind of money.

The Heat can't just let Wade go :lol: He and Bosh and Bron all have player options, they have all the leverage, if Wade wants that 20 mil over the next two seasons, there isn't a damn thing Riles and co. can do about it, same with Bosh and Bron.

Can anybody really see D-wade turning 20 mil a season down for two years? He is dumb if he does. Who else is going to be there for him when he retires? Miami fans will probably hate him but if I'm him...no way I walk away from that kind of money.

Wouldn't it make sense for him to sign up for checks for the next 4 years instead of just 2?

As i've said before, in a fan's world yes Wade, & Bosh "should" take less money to help improve the team, considering how they performed in the finals this past season.

However, their basketball careers are much bigger than their current state. They've been playing this game their whole lives and and have worked incredibly hard to get to this point. No way will they, or should they turn down this money. Last chance of their careers to make this kind of money. They've worked hard as hell to get to this point. No way you turn it down.

Yea, the dude who backed out of a bet when the blazers won 13 in a row. Also a dude who isn't active as much as he once was.
I mean... it's true. 
laugh.gif

'S what I think of every time I see your name, for real. *shrugs*

Wouldn't it make sense for him to sign up for checks for the next 4 years instead of just 2?

It does but is it for sure he would get a contract for 4 more years? If I'm a GM, after this years finals there is NO WAY I give him a 4 year deal. He might hold up for the next 2 years....

JA, J, BigMike, Dirk, JD, Allen, O, JRS, Chester, Shuges, Osh, JPZ, BHZ, Dub, Kev, H3at, FinallyFamous, ShoeKing, Proshares, DoubleJ's, we need to do a better job stomping out trolls from our NBA thread.

No more of what happened the last 2 years, we need to get it under control before NT truly becomes unbearable.

Some way, some how, we gotta clean these threads up. Let them enjoy the Hater threads built for mindless trolling, but no more in the season threads.
That doesn't mean do a better job convincing them of... whatever. It doesn't mean build better arguments.

It means... don't feed them.

Someone says Lebron is a bum and shouldn't even be in the same breath as blah, blah, blah, it's not a rule that you HAVE to respond. Or convince him. Or throw stats at him. Promise. It's not in the rules. I just checked.

Someone says Bron is better than blah, blah, blah, again, it's not in the rules that you link him to empirical data separating him from... whoever.

Depends on if he's getting paid the same amount, if so then maybe, but if not, hell no. You really think D-Wade can hold up for another 4 years?

Get all you can while you're still able to do it. These guys took marginal paycuts (around 2 mil each) to come together initially in the prime of their careers, it's completely unreasonable to expect them to do it again when especially for the first time Miami ownership this season showed a propensity to be cheap in some of their personnel moves. They won 2 titles and went to 4 straight finals, they did about as well as can be expected. It has to raise some questions going forward for all 3 of them, and they need to make the best decisions for themselves. Giving into the owner's ways is not going to be a good look when they go back to the collective bargaining table in a few years.

They make so much money in excess off all of these stars in merchandising, advertising, and ticket sales why should they be the ones making all the sacrifices when these dudes have billions. You want ot be or maintain the best you're going to have to open up the checkbook. Dr. Buss did it for years before all the other owners *****ed and moaned about how the system was unfair, yet there about to become victims of their own creation.

Last edited:
I honestly think LeBron leaves Miami. He shouldnt care about what people think anymore, he just put up 30 and 10 in the Finals and is still being killed by the media meanwhile everyone else around him contributed nothing. He needs to leave.

I would gain respect for dude if he leaves, because it would prove that hes given up on this "I care what people think about me" thing and wants to win over everything.

They will still engage in arguments with them. With tons of stats, video, data and what not. All of you will continually feed trolls. It's what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom