2014 NFL Draft Thread

Thought so too, initially. I'm not really thinking in terms of better than as an individual, but rather how they would be for Minnesota.

An efficient, accurate, game-manger kind of guy. A winner. A.J. fits the bill. I think he's going to be a solid pro with a lengthy career.

I think Mettenberger is the better prospect, but unfortunately, the Vikings need someone that can play right away. Even though they have Cassel, they'll still pull him if he struggles and they want someone ready...Unless they still have a grain of faith in Ponder.

What do you like about AJ?

He's steady...Efficient. You know what you'll get.

He has experience with a pro-style offense and can play from under center, which seems to me more and more a rarity these days. From everything I've seen of the kid, he can progress through his reads better than most college quarterbacks. He's accurate. He's accurate even under pressure. Moxy is what comes to mind. After the Nat'l Championship game a few years ago when we heard from Barrett Jones postgame that A.J. called him out in the huddle, I knew he was fiery and not scared to take control. He's a leader. He's won. And then won again. I like his size. Good height, sturdy weight....Durable. Did he even miss a game at Alabama?

Only negative I foresee coming form analysts is arm strength, but I'm not too concerned as long as he can make the mid-range throws consistently and accurately, which he seems to be able to do. Patterson will go after the deep balls.

If Mettenberger didn't tear his ACL he would be in contention for that #1 pick....come at me NT bros. He's the exact type of quarterback that O'Brien likes.

i'm with 651...would LOVE for the pats to draft AJ in the third if he's there

AJ McCarrons come out every year b

No they don't. Quarterbacks are rarely that polished and have so much experience winning in a conference that houses tons of future professionals, but who have also won a Championship, let alone multiple.

gotta agree. mccarron is being slept on HEAVILY. he won't come in an change a franchise, but he could be a reliable starter for years and grow into a star QB

i'm with 651...would LOVE for the pats to draft AJ in the third if he's there

AJ McCarrons come out every year b

i don't think so. i think the athletic over hyped ones come out every year it seems now. but even besides that, it's about getting a guy like AJ 2-3 years behind brady

Once Brady gone its over, it has to be

i don't want to talk about it :frown:

:lol:

Thinking real quickly about it, there isn't a QB off the top of my ahead who had more polish coming into the league since Matt Ryan. That's the kind of quarterback the Vikings need.

Andrew Luck is the exception only because he's the once-in-a-century quarterback that requires no debate.

Polished. Poised. Generational talent. All the tools.

I'm stumped. :lol:

He's no Brad Johnson, but he may have been able to be mediocre in the NFL if given that chance. His numbers regressed though and his accuracy/TD:INT ratio was not "polished." Those were also so-so years for FSU from what I remember, so maybe lack of talent around him hurt is prospect.

Last edited:
If Mettenberger didn't tear his ACL he would be in contention for that #1 pick....come at me NT bros. He's the exact type of quarterback that O'Brien likes.
Really doubt that. If he was that sure fire, then he would still be a R1 pick right now. 

ACLs don't terrify people anymore.

Last edited:
I'm stumped. :lol:

He's no Brad Johnson, but he may have been able to be mediocre in the NFL if given that chance. His numbers regressed though and his accuracy/TD:INT ratio was not "polished." Those were also so-so years for FSU from what I remember, so maybe lack of talent around him hurt is prospect.

He was horrible, I'm trolling :lol:

I think Mettenberger is the best pure pocket passer in this draft. All it takes is one team to fall in love with a prospect to have him jump waaay above where he's projected. He's exactly the type of quarterback that O'Brien likes. Bortles and Manziel are not what he usually goes for or as ever coached.

I think Mettenberger is the best pure pocket passer in this draft. All it takes is one team to fall in love with a prospect to have him jump waaay above where he's projected. He's exactly the type of quarterback that O'Brien likes. Bortles and Manziel are not what he usually goes for or as ever coached.

Not going to disagree, but how do you know what O'Brien likes?

Back
Top Bottom