2014 NFL Draft Thread

johnnys lack of arm strength is what is going to be his downfall in the NFL, 6'0 doesn't matter if you have a NFL arm(vick,bress and Wilson for recent times) all of his deep balls float and doesn't have any zip on them.

even other short guys in this draft like Braxton Miller, Aaron Murry, and Tajh Boyd have a NFL type arm

Last edited:
iive always felt Johnny has a pistol on his shoulder. Its not Vick's cannon but he makes sum effortless throws that get home quickly. I've never seen Johnny struggle on seems or outs from the hashes

Aaron Murray gonna Sam Bradford some idiot GMs. :lol:

I still like Bradford, Gunna. Like, not love.

You've been on him since day 1 though and so far right. Seems to me like a guy who would be good on the perfect team, but won't do anything special on a team like the Rams or anything.

Not ready to give up on him yet, but his piss poor demeanor/lackadaisical play in the game today rubbed me the wrong way. Who are you hoping the Rams get for Q?

Last edited:
If there was a way to take Manziel with the lower of the two picks, Im all for it. I don't want any parts of Mariotta.

Its a gamble but Im good with trying. For home run.

If we get Van Noy, Easley, Sutton or Nix (smh more Dts) early I would be excited.

If there's a CB who shows up this yr and booms Im all for that too. Finnegan has got to go.

RB has to be addressed. Has to! Lache early or James White/Marion Grice late.

One thing I've noticed about Manziel is that for as much as he runs, he hardly ever takes big hits.

So many intriguing QB prospects this year

Boyd
Manziel
Mariota
Murray
Bridgewater
McCarron
Carr

etc...

all of those guys have a chance at going in round 1.

As far as the Skins, they HAVE to address the secondary. No question. They need help at both safety and CB. Their first pick is in round 2.

Last edited:
Wish the Bengals could get Ha-Ha Dix. No chance he's around when we pick, though. 

One thing I've noticed about Manziel is that for as much as he runs, he hardly ever takes big hits.

So many intriguing QB prospects this year

Boyd
Manziel
Mariota
Murray
Bridgewater
McCarron
Carr

etc...

all of those guys have a chance at going in round 1.

As far as the Skins, they HAVE to address the secondary. No question. They need help at both safety and CB. Their first pick is in round 2.

Funny thing is, outside the round 1 QB possibilities you mentioned, you still have Fales, Gardner, Morris, Bortles, Mettenberger, Hundley, Pachall.

Not everyone will come out, somebody will stay in school and be the man next year, but this class could get deep if some guys jump ship.

Wish the Bengals could get Ha-Ha Dix. No chance he's around when we pick, though.

You should be early to mid 20's, Reid went what, 15-16 this year? I'm not so sure Ha-Ha goes too much earlier, especially if we see a 4-5-6 team run on QB's, that just pushes other skill guys down (good for the back end of the first) You might have a shot.

Say 5 QB's, Clowney, Roby, Sammy and Lee, 2-3-4 OT's, Barr, Nix, Van Noy, OG, Seastrunk, maybe another CB/TE/DE in the mix, and Ha-Ha the first safety.

That's your top 20 right there, you're in range IMO.

Funny thing is, outside the round 1 QB possibilities you mentioned, you still have Fales, Gardner, Morris, Bortles, Mettenberger, Hundley, Pachall.

Not everyone will come out, somebody will stay in school and be the man next year, but this class could get deep if some guys jump ship.
You should be early to mid 20's, Reid went what, 15-16 this year? I'm not so sure Ha-Ha goes too much earlier, especially if we see a 4-5-6 team run on QB's, that just pushes other skill guys down (good for the back end of the first) You might have a shot.

Say 5 QB's, Clowney, Roby, Sammy and Lee, 2-3-4 OT's, Barr, Nix, Van Noy, OG, Seastrunk, maybe another CB/TE/DE in the mix, and Ha-Ha the first safety.

That's your top 20 right there, you're in range IMO.

There is going to be a ridiculous amount of value in rounds 2/3 this year. You're 100% right about the other QBs I didn't mention. Guys like Hundley will have 1st round buzz. It's going to be real interesting to see who stays in school for another year. With the '14 QB class being as deep as it's been in recent memory, someone like Mariota might decide to stay in school to really try to cement themselves as a top 5/10 pick in '15.

What do you see in Johnny that suggests he doesn't know what he's seeing and cant digest film?

*shrugs*

Sounds like one of those Cam Newton detraction's :lol:

tocry.gif

Captain Save-an-Aggie...
Find a new bit.

Has nothing to do with that. It was a question about a criticism that I don't think holds any merit...

There are a hundred things you can be concerned about with Johnny... But if you watch entire games over the course of a season, the "his first reaction is take off and run" thing just isn't true.. Are those the highlights you see on ESPN? Hell yes. But when Johnny breaks the pocket he's doing so with his eyes down field looking for anything to open up first. If its not a designed run, he very rarely just puts his head down and takes off.

Now, he does some stupid ****. Like the turn and heave off my back foot down the middle of the field against Alabama. Or the throw to some spare receiver in tight coverage that Sunseri picked and took to the house... Romo and Favre type **** that he's got to clean up.

He's a ****** off the field and he's kind of a douche. He doesn't have a cannon. But he doesn't struggle to get throws outside or downfield.

But questioning whether or not hes a leader, or if he knows what he's seeing on the field or whether he's digesting film just doesn't make sense.

There's a difference between scrambling and waiting for receivers to pop open as opposed to reading the defense, going through a progression and delivering the ball on time in the pocket. Those are things he needs to do consistently in the NFL. It makes a lot of sense and do you really know that he is in the film room understanding all of this? I never said he's not, but that he needs to if he wants to succed in the NFL.

The potential downfall of him holds merit for sure. Especially when all you seem to say is that he's a playmaker and when he scrambles his eyes are down the field. That doesn't hold merit entirely either. Even further, given those boneheaded tendencies that come along with his game, he has to learn when and when not to.

He's a gamble that could pay off big or fall flat, but it comes down to translating his game and expanding it to the neccessities of an NFL QB.

Last edited:
There's a difference between scrambling and waiting for receivers to pop open as opposed to reading the defense, going through a progression and delivering the ball on time in the pocket. Those are things he needs to do consistently in the NFL. It makes a lot of sense and do you really know that he is in the film room understanding all of this? I never said he's not, but that he needs to if he wants to succed in the NFL.

The potential downfall of him holds merit for sure. Especially when all you seem to say is that he's a playmaker and when he scrambles his eyes are down the field. That doesn't hold merit entirely either. Even further, given those boneheaded tendencies that come along with his game, he has to learn when and when not to.

He's a gamble that could pay off big or fall flat, but it comes down to translating his game and expanding it to the neccessities of an NFL QB.

it really just seems like you're taking basic criticisms that can be applied to any quarterback ever, and applying them to manziel with no evidence to indicate one way or the other :lol:

every QB needs to learn in the film room if they want to succeed in the NFL.
every QB needs to go through a progression and deliver the ball on time from the pocket if they want to succeed in the NFL.

if anything i'd say there's more evidence to suggest he IS learning to go through progressions and throw from the pocket. i think he still breaks the pocket more than he needs to at times, but you can tell he's still looking to make plays down the field before taking off for the most part.

Never applied though. That's where you're not paying attention. I'm asking...ASKING can someone tell me he knows how to do these things?

And no **** every Q needs to learn that, but it was extremely evident that a guy like Luck or Matt Ryan was ahead of the game because they developed a lot of these skills in college. It's so much harder to try and do that in the NFL which is why you see the flucuation in play from a lot of these other guys. It's common and simple concept, but it strips away the flash and gets down to basic principles of being able to play QB at a high level in the NFL. Luck is already on to much more in-depth learnings than other guys because his learning curve was less of that like a Newton or Kaepernick. Matt Ryan showed the same thing.

Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, etc...They are undoubtedly the best and it's guys like those that would be one of the best in any era...It's because they are on a completely different level. That level begins and ends with understanding the game a whole heckuva lot deeper than the Vick's of the world.

Again..Because reading for comprehension seems to be a big problem here and same with confirmation bias, I'm asking DOES HE KNOW HOW? Evidence? I haven't watched nearly as much CFB as in years past so I'm asking and relating to the common, yet 100% true, reality that these guys face when they get to the NFL.

Last edited:
you're asking if he can learn in the film room. is there any evidence to suggest he can't do so? if not, why are you asking in the first place?

can he make progressions, and make throws from the pocket? yes. if you'd like evidence, go watch last year's game against florida and LSU. then watch later in the year against alabama, and his games this year so far.

he's clearly matured as a passer. check the gametape jaws

There's evidence one way or another, but that's why I was asking...Not telling. There's A&M fans on this board who may have heard or read things about this particular matter, so thank you for that input. Me: evidence he can read film? You: is there evidence he CAN'T? Seriously? :lol: Again, if you can't discern the difference...I was asking because that would tell a lot more about him as a quarterback and NOT as a precursor to state anything definitively negative against him.

You can spare me with snide remarks. If you knew how to read in the first place this wouldn't have been so difficult for you just to leave it at you having seen him mature as a passer and how. I never said he'd fail. I simply explained how quarterbacks of his skillset in the past have a hard time adjusting and you took that as a direct stance on Manziel.

Why is it that fans of particular teams of a guy being discussed get so damn defensive? Especially when nothing derogatory was said about him. Ya'll are nuts, man.

Last edited:
1:02 p.m.: Manziel, wearing a gray "WITNESS" T-shirt, sits at Spavital's desk watching Alabama video.

"I like stuff over the middle this week," he tells Spavital.

"When you tempo, they'll play zone because they're unsure," Spavital says.

"I want this right here every time," Manziel says as he pauses the video where A&M's 6-5, 225-pound go-to receiver Mike Evans is matched up one-on-one with Alabama cornerback John Fulton attempting to jam the hulking wideout at the line.

"Mike gets really angry with (dudes) in his face," Beaty says.

The Tide won't like Mike Evans when he's angry.

"If we can get this 100 times, I'll take it all 100," says Manziel.

Manziel torched Alabama in Tuscaloosa last November. He went 24-for-31 and piled up almost 350 yards of total offense. Manziel, and everyone else in College Station, has heard all summer about how the Tide, coming off a grueling come-from-behind win at LSU, was caught off guard by the Aggies or about how Nick Saban and his defensive coordinator Kirby Smart have had 10 months to come up with answers to bottle up the free-wheeling QB.

On the video showing the Tide's defense, Manziel matter-of-factly points out the Alabama linebacker he'll look off to the three-receiver side of the formation, "We do this, and it'll be like stealing."

All of the offseason talk was about how Saban and Bama were going to put the clamps on Manziel because they'd have a year to watch film and gameplan for him. It's pretty obvious Manziel did a little film watching of his own after that performance.

Last edited:
to get back on track, if you can find highlights from his first game last year against florida and then watch highlights of the cotton bowl against oklahoma, you might feel like you're watching two different QBs

watch the 2nd play in the oklahoma video. look how long he sits in the pocket, makes reads downfield, before he tucks and runs. people off top assumes he's a 1 read then run guy.

Thanks for posting. I will have to watch when I get home.

He's got that "it" thing going on for him and Regardless of what was discussed just now, I've always said I'm really intrigued by Manziel as being someone that may just get it done.

if you watch those then watch the bama game posted earlier, you can tell his mechanics have been cleaned up a lot, that isn't to say though that he still needs to fix some things

Back
Top Bottom