2015 NY Knicks offseason thread, Los Almighty appreciation thread

D'Angelo Russell Cancels Visit, Workout With 76ers
JUN 12, 2015 1:04 PM

D'Angelo Russell was a last minute cancelation for a workout and visit this weekend with the Philadelphia 76ers.

Russell has been heavily linked to the 76ers with the No. 3 overall pick.

There have been reports that either the Minnesota Timberwolves or Los Angeles Lakers could take Russell ahead of the 76ers, or he could now prefer to fall to the Knicks at No. 4.

Twolves - ???
LA - Okafor
76ers - Mudiay
Knicks - ???

JR's stat line last night:

2-12 from the field, 0-8 from 3.

But man oh man what a god awful mistake the Knicks made dumping this turd.
******* mental ******.

Draft talk:

Yesterday, DraftExpress released their Extended Mock #4. DraftExpress is far from a perfect source of information, but they do have inside sources with NBA teams.

In the mock yesterday they had Porzingis go #3 to Philly landing Russell to the Knicks at #4.

They said that the Sixers are "reportedly extremely high on the Latvian power forward as a shot-blocking, 3-point shooting power forward to play in between their big man combo of Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid."

This makes little sense to me because I have 0 clue how they can make that frontcourt work, not even mentioning that they still have Dario Saric, but that is the point. It doesnt make ******* sense. It doesnt make sense to me and I am sure it doesnt make sense to most of the ******* folks evaluating these prospects at DraftExpress.

Often times, the rumors that dont make any sense to outsiders are the rumors most likely to be true. Because often times when reports are that outrageous and against public opinion, it could only mean that it comes from a very legitimate inside source. Otherwise, it wouldnt pull enough weight to carry forward. It would be dismissed.

IMO, this is likely a prime example. The Sixers traded MCW at the deadline and for MONTHS it has been pretty common NBA knowledge that the Sixers have been dead set on taking either Russell or Mudiay. Probably has been considered the likeliest thing to happen in the NBA Draft this year. Everybody knows this and it makes perfect sense.

I dont care if DraftExpress writers like Porzingis or even if they hear rumors that Sam Hinkie is "high" on him, it likely doesnt hold enough weight to lead them to disprove something so widely believed and understandable as the Sixers taking Russell, or at the very least Mudiay. Replacing Russell with Porzingis in their mock draft is SO outrageous that it could not possibly have come specifically from the analysis of DraftExpress scouts. It is so "out there" that it likely wouldnt have changed anything if it had come from some bull **** insider either. No, the only way something this outrageous could have caused the DraftExpress writers to actually change their ******* mock draft to the Sixers drafting Porzingis is if it came from some EXTREMELY credible insider source. This is my thinking at least.

When I saw the mock earlier this morning, I kind of laughed it off as nothing. I sent it to a couple of my Sixers fans friends as a joke but I didnt think much of it at all. But then, earlier today, reports came out that Russell randomly left Philadelphia after 20 minutes and cancelled his 76ers workout/meeting that he had set up for this weekend. I am very much starting to believe that the 2 are somehow related to one another.

Now, something could have legitimately came up for Russell that caused him to cancel. Something serious and maybe personal. Maybe DraftExpress found out about this and overreacted to Russell leaving Philly for something serious, as well as rumored interest in Porzingis, which caused them to misguidedly change their mock draft. This is a possibility.

BUT the fact that the DraftExpress mock came out yesterday and the Russell randomly leaving/cancelling on Philly reports didnt come out until today, lead me to believe it is actually the other way around. I think there is a strong possibility that DraftExpress got some extremely credible insider info that was so strong/legit it forced them to move Porzingis to #3 in their mock (despite all logical thinking otherwise), and THEN, related to that same insider info, something came up which forced Russell to leave/cancel on Philly (or maybe them canceling on him). 

Think about it. Even if Philadelphia was so high on Russell to the point where they absolutely know they are going to take him, it still wouldnt make sense for them to not do their due diligence on him, and have him leave without working him out or at the very least meeting with him formally. It would just be irresponsible for them not to do that much. Teams do this with all prospects, especially the ones they are most interested in him. You dont just use a top 5 pick on a player based on a "hunch" or just because you watched him play every single game in college and liked what you saw. **** just doesnt work like that in the NBA where SO many different things can factor into a prospect's success.

Looking into this story more and trying to connect all the dots, I am starting to believe that Philadelphia really might have lost interest in Russell and/or have their eyes set on Porzingis right now.

Which of course, would leave Russell for the Knicks considering that Towns to Minnesota and Okafor to LA both appear to be locked up right now. Which would just be ******* awesome. This could all be a bunch of bull ****, and as we all know, anything can ******* happen on draft day, but overall, I think that this is a great sign for those like me hoping for the possibility of DLoading on the Knicks.

pimp.gif

EDIT:
JR can have 10 of those games in a row and then explode for 30 and people will still be saying it was a mistake we got rid of him
When those 10 games in a row all happen to take place in the playoffs (or Finals for that matter) and the 30 takes place in November, that is what will happen.

Last edited:
alright after being in this thread for a few seasons, I think im officially the J.R. smith of this thread. I always want to post in this thread but I literally have nothing to say... like ever. :smh:

alright after being in this thread for a few seasons, I think im officially the J.R. smith of this thread. I always want to post in this thread but I literally have nothing to say... like ever. :smh:

was it you who got head after every loss? :lol:

lmao she thought the knicks were gonna be good and then found out we're gonna finish 2nd....from the bottom

WOW first he gets topped off for every lost and now hes in the thread title :smh: he really is JR SMITH of this thread

jokes bro. all love from here.

Mudiay is the 3rd best prospect in this draft. I pray Philly takes Russell because Muddy is going to be the better player. Been watching a lot of video of Muddy, he moves well, he's explosive, he's got a good eye, not as great of a passer as Russell, but better overall as a player. He can finish in traffic. Splits double teams well.

Last edited:
Mudiay is the 3rd best prospect in this draft. I pray Philly takes Russell because Muddy is going to be the better player. Been watching a lot of video of Muddy, he moves well, he's explosive, he's got a good eye, not as great of a passer as Russell, but better overall as a player. He can finish in traffic.
I hope you're right, i just wasn't impressed by the little clip.

That clip isn't anything inspiring either honestly. I've been watching some game footage and other workout videos. His jumper needs work, but it's definitely getting better and I think it'll be good enough to keep defenses honest and not sag off on him word to Rondo.

With his size and athleticism alone, at the PG position, don't see how he won't be a terror/matchup nightmare on both ends of the floor.

There are less than a handful of players in the league with that raw ability at the 1 spot.

Back
Top Bottom