2016 Houston Rockets Pre-Season Thread - Preseason Finale vs Spurs

Will be at the game today sitting with Sting. My gf copped tickets at the beginning of game 3 cause she wanted me to witness the Rockets being swept in person. HA! Jokes on her.

Brewer has to have some dirt on JBB, there's no other reason why he could continue to see playing time

Think I didn't enough venting on twitter after (and well, later during) the game, but witnessing how the second half happened in person sucks completely. The whole fun and spirit in the Toyota Center slow y got zapped out of the building as the second half went on. There was a lot of sloppiness to get it tied 59-59 at the half, but you still felt good about things. I completely missed when Curry went down with that injury, but I didn't even hear that Bev wasn't coming back to the game til I heard it on the radio at the concession stand.

The defensive intensity was so good early on, but they didn't all out take advantage of GSW's mistakes. We could have been up way more at one point. The second half was miserable. I was so livid at how they left Klay open for multiple 3s. Same thing with Iggy and I think Speights hit 1 or 2. Also, Draymond pretty much took over, they let him get anything he wanted while we basically stalled on the offensive end. And the nerve of JBB to wait until Harden is obviously gassed from trying to will this team to something and THEN bringing in KJ and Harrell. Harden only had 18 points but 10 or 11 assists, and I could tell Harden was winded at that point the way his shots weren't falling. JBB KEPT Brewer in there for what felt like forever, knowing damn well with Bev out, you could've had KJ or even Goudeluck (who has obviously played PG) come in. JBB really is McHale straight up. Never seen somebody be influenced by a coach, and does every single thing that the previous coach does. There's literally no difference between the two. I don't get how you can leave unproductive guys out for long periods of time, and don't try to change anything up when things get out of hand. JBB needs more assistant coaching duties, on another team. This is ridiculous.

We should have smelt blood when Steph didn't start the second half...

Instead it was the other way around :lol:

It's funny how we jokingly said "well, if we make the playoffs, Steph could get hurt and we could beat them."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
That Brewer missed layup was embarrassing. As soon as he checked in, my stomach turned. And during some of that Warriors run (I think to was 64-79), when I saw Brewer come to the scorers table to choke BACK in, I was so damn pissed cause it only got worse from there smh

We should have smelt blood when Steph didn't start the second half...

Instead it was the other way around :lol:

It's funny how we jokingly said "well, if we make the playoffs, Steph could get hurt and we could beat them."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Right :lol:? Things were perfectly set up for the Rockets to be tied or possibly even up, and they blew it through the usual ineptitude we all were accustomed to this season. One of the worst Rockets games I've ever attended during one of the worst seasons I've been apart of.

:lol: yall sound so surprised at all of this. this is standard operating procedure

looking forward to the draft

Last edited:
From Hoopshabit:

Is This The End Of The Current Houston Rockets Team?

The Houston Rockets are on the brink of elimination by the Golden State Warriors in their first-round playoff series, which could spell the end for the current Rockets team.

The Houston Rockets trail the defending champion Golden State Warriors 3-1 in their first-round playoff series. With Stephen Curry set to miss time due to a MCL sprain, they may not be out of this series yet, but with the series heading to back to the Bay Area, it will be tough to overcome the series deficit.

Regardless of what happens in the rest of this series, or even this postseason, each team will face different offseason challenges; one will be building for a championship and one will be building for a repeat. The Rockets may have a new makeup when their offseason begins.

For Houston, their offseason will likely result in a head coaching search. Rockets’ general manager Daryl Morey fired head coach Kevin McHale on Nov. 19 after a 4-7 start to the regular season. J.B. Bickerstaff became the team’s interim head coach and led them to a 37-34 record through the end of the regular season, which got them the eighth seed in the Western Conference playoffs.

If Rockets owner Leslie Alexander wants a clean slate to start over, now is the best time to do it. While Bickerstaff is deserving of consideration for the head coaching position, Alexander has options. He can clean house, fire Morey and rebuild the front office with a new GM and head coach.

The Rockets will have $21.1 million coming off the books this offseason, according to HoopsHype.com. That total more than doubles if center Dwight Howard decides to decline his $23.2 million player option and becomes a free agent. With the NBA’s salary cap expected to rise this summer, the Rockets could have more than $24.7 million
to spend in free agency or in trades.

Houston, We Have A Rebuild

Although Tom Thibodeau and Scott Brooks are no longer free agents in the coaching realm, there are several strong candidates available. That could easily mean the end for Morey and Bickerstaff, beginning a Rockets rebuild … or retool, if you prefer.

James Harden is one of the best scorers in the NBA and is a good player to build a franchise around. He averaged a career-high 29.0 points, 7.5 assists and 6.1 rebounds per game this season. He shot 43.9 percent from the field and 35.9 percent from three-point range. His defense has been suspect, considering he has 10.6 offensive win shares to just 2.6 defensive win shares. Nonetheless, he’s a cornerstone player to build around.

Trevor Ariza, Corey Brewer and Patrick Beverley are three key players that have guaranteed contracts for next season. Ariza averaged 12.3 points and 4.5 rebounds per game this season. Brewer struggled this season, averaging a career-low 7.2 points and 2.4 rebounds per game coming off the bench.

Beverley is averaging 9.2 points, 3.1 assists and 3.5 rebounds per game over his four-year career.

Where the Rockets go from here is completely wide open. They can elect to bring players back, such as Terrance Jones and Donatas Motiejunas, or move on and completely change the makeup of their roster.

Kevin Durant headlines this summer’s free agent class, but there are some young guys that the Rockets may be better suited to go after. With Beverley and Ariza returning to the starting lineup next season, the Rockets need to focus on the power forward and center positions, especially if they lose Howard in free agency.

Some options in the frontcourt are Ryan Anderson, Pau Gasol, Al Horford, Hassan Whiteside and Al Jefferson, among others. The free agent class isn’t a star-filled class, but there is plenty of great options to fill out a starting lineup and a rotation.

Finishing The Playoffs

Houston trails the Warriors 3-1 in their first-round playoff series. The Rockets could keep this series going with Curry out. Nobody should rule the Rockets out, due to Harden’s scoring and playmaking abilities. As everyone has seen, the Warriors are still a great team and backup point guard Shaun Livingston brings a different element to the lineup.

Livingston had nine points, nine assists and five rebounds in 24 minutes off the bench in relief of Curry in Game 4 on Sunday. Livingston is capable of moving the ball and allowing shooting guard Klay Thompson to be the star of the offense, thanks to Livingston’s playmaking abilities. Livingston will be ready for the moment when he gets the nod as the starter in Game 5.

The Rockets may still be outmanned when it comes to depth, so their starters will have to carry the team through victory. Expect the ball to be in Harden’s hands a lot, whether it’s taking shots or distributing the ball. Houston needs to go through Harden and have support players hit shots. This will also allow the paint to be freed up for Howard to get touches and easy looks at the basket.

The direction the Rockets decide to go in will depend on who is in their front office and their head coaching staff. This, ultimately, will determine what the Rockets want to do in free agency with the cap space that they have. Without an unclear direction, it’s tough to predict what will happen. However, the Rockets will have plenty of options to rebuild their roster.

Houston traded its first-round pick for 2016 to the Denver Nuggets in the ill-fated Ty Lawson trade last July and would have to trade to get back into the top 30 selections. The Rockets only hold two second-round picks, so free agency and trades will be the key to rebuilding.

There are interesting times ahead for the Rockets, as their team could be heading towards drastic changes from the top to the bottom.

Last edited:
Sucks how this season might end but Houston isn't in the worst position at all

Embarrassing effort tonight; I might lose but I'm not gonna lay down and let you just humiliate me. Down 31 to a stephless Warriors team in the damn playoffs. Hope Leslie is waiting in the locker room to hand out pink slips.

I'm glad we made the playoffs and got exposed :lol:

**** needs to change.

I mentioned in the NBA season thread that this destruction was reminiscent of that 2012/2013 season. Once the Warriors got up and I saw the Rockets' effort that was being put out, I wanted the lead to keep growing just for Morey and Les to get a taste of what a real team with a real coaching running a real offense with heart and grit looks like. No need for the Rockets to try to fake us out by extending the series. They were 41-41 for a reason. Harden, Capela, Beasley, Bev, and the younger guys are the only ones I want to see back next year. Everybody else can pretty much gone, coaching staff included. Such an embarrassing outing and very fitting end to the season, especially with Dwight taking a 3 near the end. This was a game that you had to win or go home, and both JBB and the majority of the team played like it was a regular season game with 30 games left. I saw exactly what I didn't want to see as far as both coaching and on-court play goes. As far as the coaching, I just didn't understand it. Possibly your last game of the season, and not a single thing changed. Brewer played 18 minutes, but it felt like 40. The nerve of the media trying to give him a pass for this happening. Take these two awful uninformed opinions:
View media item 2011431View media item 2011432And to think this is a national consensus. I can't believe people are this foolish to paint McHale and JBB as some sympathetic scapegoats.

McHale was scapegoated
JBB did walk into a no win situation.

Whether their coaching acumen is legit or not once the team fired McHale & named JBB the coach we were throwing the towel in on the season. (yes 11 games in)

The players quit on both coaches.

Mchale was here a year too long. We needed to replace him before last year, but the trip to the Western Confrence Finals made it hard to fire him. You saw signs of this in the Clippers series but somehow we made that comeback. He was basically our Mark Jackson
JBB might be good. But he's too young and needs to get away from Mchale's coaching tree. Get on another staff and learn from there.

Last edited:
JBB might be good. But he's too young and needs to get away from Mchale's coaching tree. Get on another staff and learn from there.

YUP...JB's not a bad coach...he's just not ready to be a head guy. This team needed a hard a** after Mchale's kinder gentler approach and he's not that.

As for last night... :smh: . I honestly couldn't be an NBA owner; if my fully healthy team got blown out by 30+ in an elimination playoff game by a team missing the league MVP I'd probably be throwing chairs. From the jump ball you could tell these guys were checked out.

we need a coach that runs plays to manufacture open looks. we rely way too much on harden to create everything. the warriors/spurs create it through movement and mismatches. we need that, and a little roster overhaul

McHale was scapegoated

Whether their coaching acumen is legit or not once the team fired McHale & named JBB the coach we were throwing the towel in on the season. (yes 11 games in)

I agree with not a single bit of this other than them quitting on JBB

we need a coach that runs plays to manufacture open looks. we rely way too much on harden to create everything. the warriors/spurs create it through movement and mismatches. we need that, and a little roster overhaul

Agree with all of this. I'm not sure how Harden can be blamed for so much stuff when he's constantly passing to guys who simply can't hit shots, whether contested or wide open.

the cap next year is 90 million.

as it stands we have:
harden 16.7
brewer 7.6
ariza 7.8
beverly 6
mcdaniels 3.3
dekker 1.7
harrell 1.3
capela 1.3
beasley 1.4
goudelock 1

roughly 48.2 million. 40 million is basically 2 of the smaller max contracts for next season.

i think we all agree we want brewer gone. if morey wanted to completely rock the boat, moving brewer ariza and beverly would have us at 63 million in cap which would be 3 max contracts, or 1 max and a ton of role players etc. In Morey We Trust.

exactly why we should have sat our *** down during these playoffs :lol:

we've been doomed. it was obvious in the early JB days. I question how much actual film time and practice our guys are putting in relative to other teams. Never seen so many people collectively lost about what it takes to be a competitive team (from players to coaching). And we have no excuse man. We have Pop and Carlisle coached teams IN OUR DIVISION. Plenty of references on how to play contending basketball, even without the best talent on the court.

i still think we had the roster to be competitive. It just took a coach with a diff system forcing these guys to only use their strengths in very specific scenarios.

McHale was scapegoated

zZZZzzzZzZZzZzzz

Back
Top Bottom