2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h1]The Second-Dumbest Sentence From The Boston Globe’s Red Sox Postmortem[/h1]Scocca flagged one sentence earlier today from the Boston Globe's story. Here's the part that gets me:
The gift of leadership also eluded Adrian Gonzalez. On the field, Gonzalez's overall production was superb, but he provided none of the energy or passion off the field that the Sox sorely needed. His most unfortunate act in September was grousing about the Sox schedule, which required the team to play five getaway games on Sunday nights.

"We play too many night games on getaway days and get into places at 4 in the morning," Gonzalez complained. "This has been my toughest season physically because of that."

Blaming five stressful nights over a six-month season for a tough year smacked of the self-interest that is uncommon among leaders of championship-caliber teams.

I just love that last sentence. That's a clown car of a sentence. It manages to be ignorant and smarmy and airily mean-spirited all at once. "Uncommon"? The leader of the last two World Series-winning Red Sox teams was a walking monument to self-interest.

Besides, is it really an outrageous lack of leadership to suggest, in response to a reporter's question, that a quirk of the schedule might have had something to do with the Red Sox's falling down a well in September? Is this explanation any less plausible than the notion that the Red Sox lost 21 of their last 29 because of fried takeout? So Gonzalez isn't manfully living up to the toy morality of the press box. The guy hit .318/.455/.523 the last month of the season. What the hell is he supposed to say, anyway? "You're right, fellas—the rest of the guys stank up all of Kenmore Square because of various deficiencies in their personality and my overall lack of bounding and hand-clapping in the clubhouse"?

So Texas has played 9 playoff games, right?

How many of them were played on the day they were originally scheduled for, on time, w/ no delays or extra innings?

They GOTTA be exhausted.
laugh.gif

"So we are playing today? Cool. Wait... we're gonna finish the game tomorrow? Cool. What's that? Off the field? Wait for the rain? Cool. Alright, back on the field? Cool. Wait... back off the field? Cool. So no day off tomorrow, because we're playing today's regularly scheduled game tomorrow since we finished yesterday's game today? Cool. Hmmm, still tied after 9? Cool. So tied up after 9 innings again? Cool.

Gonna get to the World Series mentally drained.
laugh.gif

How many of them were played on the day they were originally scheduled for, on time, w/ no delays or extra innings?

They GOTTA be exhausted.
laugh.gif

"So we are playing today? Cool. Wait... we're gonna finish the game tomorrow? Cool. What's that? Off the field? Wait for the rain? Cool. Alright, back on the field? Cool. Wait... back off the field? Cool. So no day off tomorrow, because we're playing today's regularly scheduled game tomorrow since we finished yesterday's game today? Cool. Hmmm, still tied after 9? Cool. So tied up after 9 innings again? Cool.

laugh.gif

Texas looking like the mlb champs right now.
Who wouldve thought.
Props to them so far.

Texas looking like the mlb champs right now.
Who wouldve thought.
Props to them so far.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

They GOTTA be exhausted.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Worse for Detroit.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

They GOTTA be exhausted.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Worse for Detroit.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Worse for Detroit.

The weather & its effect on the Tigers this postseason has been %%*!@%$ horrible. I won't be surprised if we lose today. This team is too drained to beat the Rangers.

Worse for Detroit.

The weather & its effect on the Tigers this postseason has been %%*!@%$ horrible. I won't be surprised if we lose today. This team is too drained to beat the Rangers.

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

Worse for Detroit.

Rain kinda set the tone throughout the season.  Yanks and Sox got kinda killed by it.  MLB forced them to make up games on off days in September.  Hell, they forced the Yanks to start a game against Baltimore at 11:30PM and come back and play at 1PM the next day.  Selig's gotta do a better job with that.  Same in the postseason, I know he's trying to get everything in before November but you gotta cut the teams a break when weather affects everything this much.

Worse for Detroit.

Rain kinda set the tone throughout the season.  Yanks and Sox got kinda killed by it.  MLB forced them to make up games on off days in September.  Hell, they forced the Yanks to start a game against Baltimore at 11:30PM and come back and play at 1PM the next day.  Selig's gotta do a better job with that.  Same in the postseason, I know he's trying to get everything in before November but you gotta cut the teams a break when weather affects everything this much.

^ Completely agree.
Proshares:
23ska909red02:

They GOTTA be exhausted.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Worse for Detroit.
I definitely had Detroit in mind, not Texas. Got myself crossed up.
laugh.gif

But yeah, out of their 9 games so far, how many of them were played on the day they were originally scheduled for, on time, w/ no delays or extra innings? Like 2?

^ Completely agree.
Proshares:
23ska909red02:

They GOTTA be exhausted.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Worse for Detroit.
I definitely had Detroit in mind, not Texas. Got myself crossed up.
laugh.gif

But yeah, out of their 9 games so far, how many of them were played on the day they were originally scheduled for, on time, w/ no delays or extra innings? Like 2?

Selig's gotta do a better job with that.  Same in the postseason, I know he's trying to get everything in before November but you gotta cut the teams a break when weather affects everything this much.
Why is he so opposed to the Series running into November? You can't control the weather, but you can control the integrity of the game. 

Selig's gotta do a better job with that.  Same in the postseason, I know he's trying to get everything in before November but you gotta cut the teams a break when weather affects everything this much.
Why is he so opposed to the Series running into November? You can't control the weather, but you can control the integrity of the game. 

Im sure I am going to be called a homer by some......but how in the BLUE HELL does Lance Berkman deserve the Comeback Player of the Year award over Ryan Vogelsong?

Isnt what Vogelsong did the epitome of a comeback? I know Berkman had a pretty s*** season in 2010, but he still had 14 jacks and 58 RBI. Not great by his standards, but still relatively productive. Vogelsong has been out of the Major Leagues for 5 years and he figures out a way on the defending Champions team, has the 4th lowest ERA in the National League (7th in all of baseball), and his 13 wins would have been 18+ with even a mediocre offense behind him.

Look, I know Berkman had a great bounce back year. But going from being out of the MLBl for 5 years to becoming one of the best pitchers in all of baseball FAR outweighs the leap Berkman made.

Robbery.

Im sure I am going to be called a homer by some......but how in the BLUE HELL does Lance Berkman deserve the Comeback Player of the Year award over Ryan Vogelsong?

Isnt what Vogelsong did the epitome of a comeback? I know Berkman had a pretty s*** season in 2010, but he still had 14 jacks and 58 RBI. Not great by his standards, but still relatively productive. Vogelsong has been out of the Major Leagues for 5 years and he figures out a way on the defending Champions team, has the 4th lowest ERA in the National League (7th in all of baseball), and his 13 wins would have been 18+ with even a mediocre offense behind him.

Look, I know Berkman had a great bounce back year. But going from being out of the MLBl for 5 years to becoming one of the best pitchers in all of baseball FAR outweighs the leap Berkman made.

Robbery.

Originally Posted by dland24

It probably has to do with the fact that Berkman is an everyday player. Pitchers seem to get looked at differently when it comes to awards. I watched The Franchise and was happy for Vogelsong's ability to overcome the obstacles he's faced.

It probably has to do with the fact that Berkman is an everyday player. Pitchers seem to get looked at differently when it comes to awards. I watched The Franchise and was happy for Vogelsong's ability to overcome the obstacles he's faced.

Of the last 10 Comeback Players of the Year, 5 were pitchers.....which leads me to believe that his position doesnt matter.

Of the last 10 Comeback Players of the Year, 5 were pitchers.....which leads me to believe that his position doesnt matter.

Why is he so opposed to the Series running into November?

from wiki 2010 world series
Game 4 was beaten in the ratings by a Pittsburgh Steelers–New Orleans Saints game on NBC Sunday Night Football, the first time a prime-time World Series game was outdrawn by a regular-season NFL contest on the same night[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_World_Series#cite_note-23[/sup]

Why is he so opposed to the Series running into November?

from wiki 2010 world series
Game 4 was beaten in the ratings by a Pittsburgh Steelers–New Orleans Saints game on NBC Sunday Night Football, the first time a prime-time World Series game was outdrawn by a regular-season NFL contest on the same night[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_World_Series#cite_note-23[/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom