2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

Someone plz explain to me why the magic have not been sold , how are they still in orlando? This is a dead serious question , does their owner care about the team?

I feel like this was a move made DIRECTLY for GS.... End of Game you go Russ, Dipo, Roberson, KD, Adams and man oh man will things be hard on the offensive side of the ball for GS.

Also on offense you dudes are acting as if Russ and Oladipo are Rondo or something... You can't just leave those guys wide open, Roberson is the only one in that said lineup that can be left alone.
We're not acting like they're Rondo, we're acting like GSW will breathe a sigh of relief anytime they rise to shoot from deep, which they do frequently for some reason. They went 10/50 from deep in the last 2 games of the series, trading away Serge for a rook, 1 guy who's too slow to play against GSW, and another guy who ranges from mediocre-average from 3 doesn't help with that.

And you're saying Roberson is the only one who can be left open from deep, when he & Oladipo hovered around the same % from deep for most of the season. For the vast majority of the season, Vic hovered around that mediocre 32-33% range. He had hot flashes like that 45 point game vs. CLE w/ 6 threes, and he was red-hot in January. But that's certainly a shot you'll gladly concede come playoff time.

Not sure if posted

Herring is one of my favorite writers

Why NBA Players Lie About Their Height
The league’s height listings are littered with inaccuracies as players aim to seem shorter or taller; Kevin Durant is bigger than 6-foot-9
OL-AI533_HEIGHT_16U_20160503160028.jpg

By Chris Herring
Updated May 5, 2016 11:51 a.m. ET

Kevin Durant is 6-foot-9. That’s his height by all official accounts—the NBA, the Oklahoma City Thunder, his Wikipedia page—and that’s how Durant will be described throughout the basketball playoffs.

As it turns out, though, there is one person who disagrees. His name is Kevin Durant.

This mysterious revelation came during a routine discussion after a regular-season victory over the Los Angeles Clippers. The Thunder star was describing his game-winning block on the Clippers’ Chris Paul, and that’s when he confessed. “He’s 6 feet tall,” Durant said, “and I’m 6-11.”

It was a rare example of Durant slipping up by mentioning his actual height. Since joining the league, Durant has gone with an extremely conservative height, one that Thunder teammate Steven Adams calls “bull—.”

He’s not alone. NBA game programs across the country are littered with inaccuracies when it comes to player height. The widespread misrepresentations highlight a funny thing about the NBA: Its players, despite being taller than most of the other 2.7 billion men on earth, lie about their height like everyone else.

Durant’s case is particularly odd, though, since he stretched the truth to make himself shorter. Durant, whose team is tied 1-1 with the San Antonio Spurs in the Western Conference semifinals, said he often lies about his height depending on whom he’s speaking with.

“For me, when I’m talking to women, I’m 7 feet,” he said. “In basketball circles, I’m 6-9.”

There’s actually a basketball reason behind Durant’s white lie. “But really, I’ve always thought it was cool to say I’m a 6-9 small forward,” he said. “Really, that’s the prototypical size for a small forward. Anything taller than that, and they’ll start saying, ‘Ah, he’s a power forward.’ ”

A handful of other high-profile players seemingly cheated themselves by an inch or two to avoid the distinction of being labeled a 7-footer. Flip Saunders, the late Minnesota Timberwolves coach and executive, often said he referred to Kevin Garnett as “6-foot-13” because, like Durant now, the former MVP feared people would view him as a center as opposed to a power forward. Garnett, who was unavailable for comment, is still listed at 6-foot-11.

Stars from previous generations are more open about why they didn’t want to be labeled as 7-footers: It would only draw more attention to how much bigger they were than everyone else. Bill Walton, who claimed he was 6-foot-11, was once asked why he was officially shorter than the 7-foot Hakeem Olajuwon, even though he towered over Olajuwon when they guarded each other. “The floor’s warped,” he said. That old habit dies hard: To this day Walton contends he’s only 6-foot-11.

It’s far more common to find players who are listed as being an inch or two taller than they actually are. Height sleuthing has become easier than ever now as a number of websites provide rookies’ measurements from the draft combine, with and without shoes, allowing fans to identify which players receive the most generous listings.

Dallas Mavericks guard JJ Barea, for example, was 5-foot-10 without shoes and 5-foot-10¾ inches with shoes, according to DraftExpress’s data. According to the NBA, though, Barea is 6-feet.

Barea first noticed the discrepancy years ago when he was introduced during the team’s starting lineups. “I remember laughing when they said, ‘6 feet,’ because me and about 20,000 other people in the arena knew that was a lie,” he said. “I’m 5-foot-10 on a good day.”

Barea insists he never asked anyone with the team to inflate his height. A spokeswoman for the Mavericks said most teams use combine numbers or a player’s college height, but team staffers—who perform physicals before training camp—may be asked by younger players fighting for a roster spot to adjust their metrics to make one of them a wee bit taller. (A Thunder spokesman confirmed that Durant did the opposite of this as a rookie, by asking a team staffer to list him at 6-foot-9 as opposed to something taller.)

The most common reason for these variations, though, is actually pretty simple: There’s a huge degree of latitude because the NBA doesn’t require players to use their “in shoes” measurements. That’s why someone like Durant can accurately claim to be 6-foot-9—his draft combine measurement without shoes—even though just about everyone else in the league is using a different metric.

With no standardized way of tracking height, a number of players have seen random, year-to-year growth spurts—or sudden bouts of shrinking—when they change teams. And a handful have seen their heights change even while staying with the same team.

According to the league’s data, which has been kept loosely since 1994, former guard Dan Dickau went from being 6-feet tall with the Clippers in 2008 to 6-foot-3 in training camp with the Suns in 2009. He turned 30 years old in between.

Connecticut coach Kevin Ollie alternated between 6-foot-2 and 6-foot-4 for years with Philadelphia. He was also listed at 6-foot-3 once. It’s still happening today, too. Los Angeles Lakers forward Tarik Black was officially listed as 6-foot-9 this season. Last year he was 6-foot-11.

Warriors coach Steve Kerr also had a number of odd height changes, according to NBA data, going from 6-foot-3 in 2001, to 6-foot-1 in 2002 before shooting back up to 6-foot-3 in 2003. “I don’t know,” said Kerr, who said he’s really 6-foot-3. “I guess it just sounds better on the program.”

Even abnormally tall forwards don’t seem as sensitive about the 7-foot threshold anymore, and that’s in part because of the positionless nature of today’s NBA. Giannis Antetokounmpo, who was drafted three years ago by the Milwaukee Bucks at 6-foot-9, but has since grown to 6-foot-11 at age 21, says he’d have no issue with being known as a legitimate 7-footer if he grew another inch. In fact, he said, it would be kind of cool.

“Honestly,” says Antetokounmpo, who has been tabbed as the Bucks’ starting point guard next season, “I want to get taller.”

“For me, when I’m talking to women, I’m 7 feet,” he said. “In basketball circles, I’m 6-9.”

:lol:

:wow: @ the Dan Dickau mention... I haven't heard that name in ages

Barea first noticed the discrepancy years ago when he was introduced during the team’s starting lineups. “I remember laughing when they said, ‘6 feet,’ because me and about 20,000 other people in the arena knew that was a lie,” he said. “I’m 5-foot-10 on a good day.”

Knew he was no 6"

Hard being a Magic fan team has a history of trading away good players and getting nothing in return, hers to another 5 years picking in the lottery

damn, Minny's going to be even more fun to watch now.

Pulling for Dunn. Was my favorite player coming in to the draft, and then i hear about his background? He's hungry. Dunn will be legit.

Can someone please tell me how Marco Bellinelli got traded for the 22 pick? Makes NO sense. I can't think of one reason that trade is good for Charlotte.

The Magic essentially traded Tobias Harris (Jennings and Ilyasova trade), Oladipo, #11 for Ibaka.

So bad.

Horrible.

They didn't even need to trade Tobias, Jennings/Illy didn't make them better at all and won't even be on the team going forward.

I think Skiles had something to do with that and even he is gone.

Can someone please tell me how Marco Bellinelli got traded for the 22 pick? Makes NO sense. I can't think of one reason that trade is good for Charlotte.

maybe he provides experience good shooting and the draft wasnt deep this year?

Only defense I can come up with is, they decided not to overpay for Courtney Lee this summer. Now put more focus on Batum, Marvin Williams and Jeremy Lin?

Last edited:
Hearing and reading Ibaka not being happy with his role, strained relationships with Durant and Westbrook, likely to leave OKC next year. Interesting.

We're not acting like they're Rondo, we're acting like GSW will breathe a sigh of relief anytime they rise to shoot from deep, which they do frequently for some reason. They went 10/50 from deep in the last 2 games of the series, trading away Serge for a rook, 1 guy who's too slow to play against GSW, and another guy who ranges from mediocre-average from 3 doesn't help with that.

And you're saying Roberson is the only one who can be left open from deep, when he & Oladipo hovered around the same % from deep for most of the season. For the vast majority of the season, Vic hovered around that mediocre 32-33% range. He had hot flashes like that 45 point game vs. CLE w/ 6 threes, and he was red-hot in January. But that's certainly a shot you'll gladly concede come playoff time.

In that sense your right, but Roberson also wasn't a threat to create or attack the rim & finish, so you back all the way off dipo can step into the lane and create. Also the addition of Dipo allows russ to take breaks on defense. roberson on Klay, Dipo on curry, KD on Green & Russ is allowed to chill a bit on defense. In the playoffs that helps A LOT. also If Harrison Barnes Leaves the W's small ball lineup might not be the same as before.

That Orlando trade was GOD AWFUL :lol:

In what sense did the Magic think it was necessary to give up Oladipo and Ilyasova and the 11th pick for Ibaka?

I'm also trying to figure out how this trade helps OKC. Part of the reason why the Thunder did so well agaisnt the Warriors was because they were able to switch everything on defense. I'm not sure you can do that anymore with Ilyasova playing the 4. Not unless you play Durant at the 4, Oladipo at the 3 and Waiters at the 2.

Last edited:
If the Thunder package Waiters along with Sabonis what do you think they can get back? Waiters balled for them in the playoffs this year, and didn't have his usual ridiculous shot selection, played under control, and got to the basket damn near whenever he wanted. He's still young and it's clear as day GM's get hoaxed bt playoff performances all the time Add in a young Lottery pick & this gotta intrigue some team out there correct?

If the Thunder package Waiters along with Sabonis what do you think they can get back? Waiters balled for them in the playoffs this year, and didn't have his usual ridiculous shot selection, played under control, and got to the basket damn near whenever he wanted. He's still young and it's clear as day GM's get hoaxed bt playoff performances all the time Add in a young Lottery pick & this gotta intrigue some team out there correct?
Isn't waiters a free agent?  I just assumed this trade meant waiters was all but gone.

I'm also trying to figure out how this trade helps OKC. Part of the reason why the Thunder did so well agaisnt the Warriors was because they were able to switch everything on defense. I'm not sure you can do that anymore with Ilyasova playing the 4. Not unless you play Durant at the 4, Oladipo at the 3 and Waiters at the 2.
against the warriors in the playoffs, Durant would get a ton of mins at the 3/4 (with Roberson)..

pretty sure we do a sign and trade with waiters now.. oladipo upgrades that role and becomes the starting SG.. you still switch everything amongst russ-oladipo-Roberson-KD-adams

I think another move is coming though

Also Considering the Kings drafted THREE centers last night, this gotta be the end for Boogie right? because i see no way they can have WCS & Boogie and think this was an OK move when your star player has already been visibly frustrated with management

What's okc cap looking like? I think they could be players in free agency if they have some doe

Also where do yall think Rubio ends up? For some reason I wanna say Chicago. They've been in extended talks for Dunn but that seems dead but maybe they made enough traction to still get an alternate deal done.

Philly is about to get FLEECED. They HAVE to get rid of one if not both of oak/Noel before the season because they absolutely have to evaluate embiid and saric who are nearing the end of their rookie deals. Some team is gonna come up at their expense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom