2017 NBA Playoffs Thread - CLE @ BOS Game 5 on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are talking about struggles in general & people who voice their opinions on their struggles.
Great.

Now identify where the struggle lies in a "perception" about how Jeremy Lin basketball.

We're not talking about "oh he speaks well". That's linguistics...and a completely separate argument from perceived attributes about how a person plays basketball. Explain to me how someone not classifying Jeremy Lin and John Wall under the same umbrella....is a STRUGGLE for Jeremy Lin.

Trying to use the overarching theme of "stereotypes" and "struggles" when we're sitting here quite LITERALLY talking about basketball attributes is backwards as ****.

This isn't a world struggle argument. We're specifically discussing a very niche set of topics here. 

Last edited:

Great.

Now identify where the struggle lies in a "perception" about how Jeremy Lin basketball.

We're not talking about "oh he speaks well". That's linguistics...and a completely separate argument from perceived attributes about how a person plays basketball. Explain to me how someone not classifying Jeremy Lin and John Wall under the same umbrella....is a STRUGGLE for Jeremy Lin.

Trying to use the overarching theme of "stereotypes" and "struggles" when we're sitting here quite LITERALLY talking about basketball attributes is backwards as ****.

This isn't a world struggle argument. We're specifically discussing a very niche set of topics here. 
Both are ball dominant guards that use their dribbling to break down defenders and get to the rim?

Both are average jump shooters who can shoot off the dribble?

Anyway clearly Wall in more talented and athletic than Lin

Last edited:
would'nt nobody say **** about Lin if he didnt suck so back his first few yrs. Even now, hes just solid. Not really anybody you want on your team. And that has jack to do with race. there's hella black dudes I dont ever want to see in purple and gold. even in their spare time. Mmm mm, dont wear dat.

You're better than this man. Don't let that weird Lakers hate cloud your ability to be rational.

A lot of the reason Jeremy Lin took the "long road" to become a professional basketball player had a lot to do with him being Asian-AMERICAN.

I mean....the CALIFORNIA PLAYER OF THR YEAR, who led his team to a 32-1 record in HS, and state championship over Mater Dei....didn't receive a D1 offer :lol:.

You're better than this man. Don't let that weird Lakers hate cloud your ability to be rational.

A lot of the reason Jeremy Lin took the "long road" to become a professional basketball player had a lot to do with him being Asian-AMERICAN.

I mean....the CALIFORNIA PLAYER OF THR YEAR, who led his team to a 32-1 record in HS, and state championship over Mater Dei....didn't receive a D1 offer :lol:.
Yea, not sure how this can be argued man. If he was black, we know damn well schools would have been ALL over him

Perfect ******* example.

Came into the league looking like they made him in a lab somewhere and he was supposed to be an elite athlete.

1281093588_Eev39i.jpg

Patrick Beverly is considered "scrappy". Ain't nothing white on him but his teeth. 
Yi is pretty athletic he's kinda buns tho

I mean....the CALIFORNIA PLAYER OF THR YEAR, who led his team to a 32-1 record in HS, and state championship over Mater Dei....didn't receive a D1 offer
laugh.gif
I know you know better than this. So I know you know this isn't based upon him being Asian.

I'm not even going to waste my team and go down the list...but I know damn well that you know that there are PLENTY of athletes who had DECORATED prep careers and didn't sniff the Pros or go D1. Across multiple sports. Hell...the Washington Post just literally ran a story about the leading scorer in the entire area and can't get a D-1 offer. He's not Asian. 

Last edited:
would'nt nobody say **** about Lin if he didnt suck so back his first few yrs. Even now, hes just solid. Not really anybody you want on your team. And that has jack to do with race. there's hella black dudes I dont ever want to see in purple and gold. even in their spare time. Mmm mm, dont wear dat.

fam he came AFTER Yao. The NBA was open and primed to Asian players. Dude was horrible. That's not discrimination. I remember those Golden State years.

As far as college goes..I can't speak on the recruiting. But it looks like he only wanted to go to Ivy League schools anyways. Only sent his tape to Stanford and Harvard and UC Berkley, etc. Being Asian could've held him back in the recruitment process as far as the lesser schools, but it sounds like he would've passed on them anyways.

But it looks like he only wanted to go to Ivy League schools anyways. Only sent his tape to Stanford and Harvard and UC Berkley, etc. Being Asian could've held him back in the recruitment process as far as the lesser schools, but it sounds like he would've passed on them anyways.
He has spoken on how he sent letters specifically to PAC-10 schools and they didn't show interest. 

Somehow...not getting interest from the schools he wanted to go to = Didn't receive a D1 offer

But it looks like he only wanted to go to Ivy League schools anyways. Only sent his tape to Stanford and Harvard and UC Berkley, etc. Being Asian could've held him back in the recruitment process as far as the lesser schools, but it sounds like he would've passed on them anyways.

He has spoken on how he sent letters specifically to PAC-10 schools and they didn't show interest. 

Somehow...not getting interest from the schools he wanted to go to = Didn't receive a D1 offer

"No Division I program offered Lin an athletic scholarship — the Ivy League does not give them — but he discussed walking on at Stanford, California or U.C.L.A. with the coaches there."

Y'all comparing Jeremy Lin.

An Asian American guard 6'3 Guard.....

To INTERNATIONAL 7ft professionals that have been playing for basketball academies since babies :lol:

To INTERNATIONAL 7ft professionals that have been playing for basketball academies since babies
laugh.gif
Nobody compared Jeremy Lin to  Yi. NOBODY.

If you go back to where this thing started...Yi was bought up as a rebuttal that "Asian = Unathletic". Nobody compared the 2 as players. Stop it. 

Last edited:

I mean....the CALIFORNIA PLAYER OF THR YEAR, who led his team to a 32-1 record in HS, and state championship over Mater Dei....didn't receive a D1 offer :lol: .

I know you know better than this. So I know you know this isn't based upon him being Asian.

I'm not even going to waste my team and go down the list...but I know damn well that you know that there are PLENTY of athletes who had DECORATED prep careers and didn't sniff the Pros or go D1. Across multiple sports. Hell...the Washington Post just literally ran a story about the leading scorer in the entire area and can't get a D-1 offer. He's not Asian. 

Let's not forget that him being Asian was part of the hype. He had a little spark mixed with the hype of Asian guy coming outta nowhere balling and he was able to turn that into a big contract. I'm not mad at him but I'm not bout to feel sorry dude. I'm sure he did get knocked for being Asian through college and ealry on in the NBA once that hype train started he was pushed and hyped as something he's not.

To INTERNATIONAL 7ft professionals that have been playing for basketball academies since babies :lol:

Nobody compared Jeremy Lin to  Yi. NOBODY.

If you go back to where this thing started...Yi was bought up as a rebuttal that "Asian = Unathletic". Nobody compared the 2 as players. Stop it. 

I think he was referring to how I brought up Yao. My point was Yao was loved. Sure he had his struggles in regards to the competition not respecting him at first, but once his game shined, he got props from literally everywhere. Shaq hated him, then they became bosom buddies. From what I remember, at least in NorCal, Lin was hella loved too. His game was weak though. The spotlight goes anyway on anybody that doesnt fight to stay in it. It wasnt til Linsanity that dude restarted the 15 minutes again. and that felt like that lasted for a literal 15 minutes. It was over quick af. Feels like it ended about the time the knicks played the heat and bron and wade bullied him for 48 minutes.

I'm sure he did get knocked for being Asian through college and ealry on in the NBA once that hype train started he was pushed and hyped as something he's not.
Which is what my ENTIRE argument rests on. 

It's not 1942. If you can play basketball on the highest level...you will play basketball on the highest level. Sure...stereotypes exist in sports...for EVERYONE. But you're going to be hard pressed to point out to me, how they effect their careers in any, way, shape or form. Jeremy Lin earned his way to the league just like thousands of other undrafted players. Because he could hoop.

If you're trying to argue with me that he SHOULD have evaluated differently and considered a blue chip prospect from the jump...and the only reason he wasn't is because he's Asian...that's where you lose me. 

Last edited:
I think he was referring to how I brought up Yao. My point was Yao was loved. Sure he had his struggles in regards to the competition not respecting him at first, but once his game shined, he got props from literally everywhere. Shaq hated him, then they became bosom buddies. From what I remember, at least in NorCal, Lin was hella loved too. His game was weak though. The spotlight goes anyway on anybody that doesnt fight to stay in it. It wasnt til Linsanity that dude restarted the 15 minutes again. and that felt like that lasted for a literal 15 minutes. It was over quick af. Feels like it ended about the time the knicks played the heat and bron and wade bullied him for 48 minutes.

It wasn't even them. Chalmers took his launch money.

I'm sure he did get knocked for being Asian through college and ealry on in the NBA once that hype train started he was pushed and hyped as something he's not.

Which is what my ENTIRE argument rests on. 

It's not 1942. If you can play basketball on the highest level...you will play basketball on the highest level. Sure...stereotypes exist in sports...for EVERYONE. But you're going to be hard pressed to point out to me, how they effect their careers in any, way, shape or form. Jeremy Lin earned his way to the league just like thousands of other undrafted players. Because he could hoop.

If you're trying to argue with me that he SHOULD have evaluated differently and considered a blue chip prospect from the jump...and the only reason he wasn't is because he's Asian...that's where you lose me. 

Where did anybody say anything about the blue chip part?

Didn't Morey say himself that JLin was discriminated against during the draft process BC Lin is Asian?

Last edited:
J Lin is just making a simple observation over what we all know to be true in basketball. Lighten up fellas. I'm all for going in on the bs we go thru.....but this ain't it. Lin is not trying to play a "woe is me".....I

Dude is simply pointing out these stereotypes exist in basketball. That's all there is to it. Sheesh.

Let me requote this

I mean people was really saying **** like "Melo has to adjust Jeremy Linn" :lol:

The hype was outta hand.

this. the hype was crazy.

there were def black players salty though, saying Lin was only getting the hype he was getting BECAUSE he was Asian. The numbers he put up really werent that crazy. But if you wanna go down that road, then, yea, they were crazy for an Asian player if you already have a preconceived notion that they are weaker. Black guys were like 'wth man, the stuff he's doing for these 12 games, I've been doing for 8-9 yrs..wheres my parade famo? wheres my balloons and 13 virgins?'

Very simple concept y'all are trying to discredit and dismiss for whatever reason :lol:. I don't get it. Jeremy Lin isn't trying to make anybody "feel sorry for him". Dude is simply drawing attention to a very obvious and real stereotype.

I'm black as hell....y'all know this. Let's not kid ourselves and act like scouts all through Lins process to try to get to college/league didn't overlook him because he was Asian American.

We can all acknowledge that. That is all I'm saying. It's not that deep.

Very simple concept y'all are trying to discredit and dismiss for whatever reason :lol:. I don't get it. Jeremy Lin isn't trying to make anybody "feel sorry for him". Dude is simply drawing attention to a very obvious and real stereotype.

I'm black as hell....y'all know this. Let's not kid ourselves and act like scouts all through Lins process to try to get to college/league didn't overlook him because he was Asian American.

We can all acknowledge that. That is all I'm saying. It's not that deep.

Lol people just love to overreact for sum reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom