24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Y'all think Amex will waive my $95 fee? Just got charged for it and I barely even use the card. Don't wanna waste $100 in a charge card lol

It's worth a shot. Just be honest, tell them you aren't using the card much so it isn't worth paying the annual fee. Worst case scenario, downgrade to a no fee version.

Y'all think Amex will waive my $95 fee? Just got charged for it and I barely even use the card. Don't wanna waste $100 in a charge card lol
It's worth a shot. Just be honest, tell them you aren't using the card much so it isn't worth paying the annual fee. Worst case scenario, downgrade to a no fee version.
CapOne won't even let me do this. My oldest card (which I haven't used in 3 years) has a $25 annual fee and the only option I have is to wait for an upgrade (will never happen) or close the card (will hurt my score).

So every July, I have to go in person and tell them to waive the fee.

Thanks to reading this thread a year ago, my score went from a 440 to 700 in 12 mths. I know that's not super high but it let's me know I'm on the right track. I lurk in here a lot, I just wanna thank dudes for dropping knowledge for real, most helpful thread imo in a long time.

Congrats Will that's a great improvement in just 1 year :pimp:

CapOne won't even let me do this. My oldest card (which I haven't used in 3 years) has a $25 annual fee and the only option I have is to wait for an upgrade (will never happen) or close the card (will hurt my score).

So every July, I have to go in person and tell them to waive the fee.

That secured card. Same thing with me. I only have 3-4 years of credit history. So ill take a fat hit if i cancel my oldest line

Applied for a Chase Sapphire Preferred and got approved! feels good man

Couldn't believe the credit limit they gave me though. $10k :wow:
my highest credit line before that was $1,800 from my discover it card and they recently just bumped it from $1,500

And after 60 days you can request for a credit increase.

AMEX gave me a $9,100 limit when I was expecting around $7K.

Going to request for a $12K limit in May.

Goal is have $40K limit total from all three of my cards by year's end.

Really good cards but im good off annual fees

Agreed.

Reason why I chose the regular BlueCash card over the Preferred.

Credit cards with annual fees have better sign up bonuses,better perks, and earn more rewards whether its points or cash back. Disregarding a card because it has an annual fee is dumb. Do the math,see how much you value the perks, and do what makes sense for your situation.

Last edited:
Used my chase Marriott card for a quick stay in Miami this wknd at a Marriott property.. Got 6am early check in and 3 pm late check out the next day no charge.

New to the thread, looks like you guys have a lot of useful info. Some PMs have already been sent 
nerd.gif

Credit cards with annual fees have better sign up bonuses,better perks, and earn more rewards whether its points or cash back. Disregarding a card because it has an annual fee is dumb. Do the math,see how much you value the perks, and do what makes sense for your situation.

You chase sign up bonuses because it works for you.

I chose to avoid an annual fee because that works for me.

To each is own.

You chase sign up bonuses because it works for you.

I chose to avoid an annual fee because that works for me.

To each is own.

Let's say a card like the Citi prestige which will cost you $450 a year to have. If you knew for a fact it would save you $1500 a year, you wouldn't get it because it has an annual fee ?

I know there are plenty of people who think like you which is fine. Your money, your choice.

Last edited:
When I first got into the credit card game I avoided cards with annual fees at all cost. Now with more experience and knowledge ( also traveling a lot) I tend to like cards that happen to have annual fees. I think it just comes with more understanding, when you first think of annual fees you automatically think it's stupid to pay for one when you can get a card for free, but the perks and rewards outweigh the annual fee when you sit down and really understand it. I was able to upgrade seating on 3 of my trips already and ate at airport lounges for free and brought friends in to eat and drink as well all for free, etc. I have another card that gives me more points on dining and that's where I spend most of my money at also. Overall I guess it depends, I definitely can understand for someone who doesn't do much spending, which in that case maybe getting a card with annual fee isn't the best scenario.

finally somebody said it

dudes really tripping off annual fee of 25-95

cmon dudes.......

And after 60 days you can request for a credit increase.

AMEX gave me a $9,100 limit when I was expecting around $7K.

Going to request for a $12K limit in May.

Goal is have $40K limit total from all three of my cards by year's end.

any benefits towards my score for having a high limit?

also didn't mind the annual fee considering the bonus and perks of the chase sapphire. hell if I got approved for that citi prestige at $450 annual fee I'd still come out on top with how I plan on using it's perks.

any benefits towards my score for having a high limit?

also didn't mind the annual fee considering the bonus and perks of the chase sapphire. hell if I got approved for that citi prestige at $450 annual fee I'd still come out on top with how I plan on using it's perks.

Higher limits=lower utilization=higher score. If you are only using 10% of your total limit now or you pay down your cards to less than 10% before the statement cuts already, a higher limit probably won't help your score. May only help you get other cards with higher limits.

Thanks to reading this thread a year ago, my score went from a 440 to 700 in 12 mths. I know that's not super high but it let's me know I'm on the right track. I lurk in here a lot, I just wanna thank dudes for dropping knowledge for real, most helpful thread imo in a long time.
What did you do to get the increase in score if you don't mind me asking

At the time me and my girl were moving. I didn't have bad credit, I just had no credit. So I put everything in my name, apartment, lights etc. Someone here recommended credit karma I think or some sight that helps u find a card that will accept u. Only 2 people gave me carsd, Walmart(150 limit) and capital one (300 limit). I axed them things out the same day. Paid em off in full every month. Max em out, pay em off, paid every bill on time. Then around Xmas borrowed 500 from my credit union.

I tried to lease a truck last year and the guy basically laughed. Told me I had a 440 and needed a co signer. Went Friday, left with the truck 30 minutes later no co signer.

Last edited:
At the time me and my girl were moving. I didn't have bad credit, I just had no credit. So I put everything in my name, apartment, lights etc. Someone here recommended credit karma I think or some sight that helps u find a card that will accept u. Only 2 people gave me carsd, Walmart(150 limit) and capital one (300 limit). I axed them things out the same day. Paid em off in full every month. Max em out, pay em off, paid every bill on time. Then around Xmas borrowed 500 from my credit union.

I tried to lease a truck last year and the guy basically laughed. Told me I had a 440 and needed a co signer. Went Friday, left with the truck 30 minutes later no co signer.
Yoooo
I imagine u had the same laugh as ur in ur avy as u smashed out the parking lot in the truck :lol:

Yoooo
I imagine u had the same laugh as ur in ur avy as u smashed out the parking lot in the truck :lol:
Bruh, I literally did the 50 cent gif. Made sure u went back to the same exact dude, looked and laughed as I stabbed out with da hemi.

Now this year we gonna get my girl together, she got into some stuff when she was 18 and last week we payed it all off. Now I gotta get her some cards and help her build her credit up.

dam itz lou dam itz lou , Ritchie X Rich Ritchie X Rich , al audi al audi

Fellas, I never said I'm against anyone who opts for cards w/ annual fees.

I simply said I chose to go w/ the BlueCash Reg over the preferred. Why ? Because the reg will suffice for the what I'm going to use the card for.

I actually have a card w/ an annual fee, granted the fee was implied after I acquired the card, but it's still paid regardless.

If you have cards w/ fees and it's working for you in YOUR situation, more power to you.

But you can't knock anyone that chooses to avoid annual fees.

Difference of opinions on this site has always sparked anger. Everyone's different.

To each is own.

Used my chase Marriott card for a quick stay in Miami this wknd at a Marriott property.. Got 6am early check in and 3 pm late check out the next day no charge.
Gotta look into this card. I stay with Marriott the most, people think this is the best one to get?

Ahh, the power of credit lol. I'm happy for you. Use credit to get what you need in life and thats it. Don't obsess over it just make sure everything is straight when it is time for your credit to be pulled for something important.

Got an offer in the mail for the AMEX Delta Skymiles card and accepted (spend $1k in the first 3 months for 60K bonus miles). Since I was copping an engagement ring, I just used the card to buy that and paid it off :lol: . I already have 30k miles with Delta, so it'll make for a nice round trip somewhere.

The problem I currently have is that I have a platinum card right now. I've had it for about 2 years (had the Gold before that). The annual fee just not worth it anymore and want to get rid of it. Since its a charge card, getting rid of it will not affect my score?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom