24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Is it normal for discover to increase your credit limit without notifying you? Just checked my account & it's higher :smokin

Last edited:
Is it normal for discover to increase your credit limit without notifying you? Just checked my account & it's higher
smokin.gif
Yes, just got my increased recently.

Few questions

What would be the best 0 APR card right now and what's the limit?

I'm looking for something around a 2-3K limit, family member is in dire need and considering i only have one card as of now i've been really thinking about opening a card with a 0 APR and then slowly paying off the 2-3 K over the year,

I'm well aware that carrying that much debt on on a card is gonna lower my score, but this is kind of urgent. & i'm 100% sure it will be paid off before the 12 month deadline is up.

Appreciate all the looks lol, but decided on BoA Cash Rewards card. Got approved for 5k instantly.

I've also heard that it's possible to get the 0 APR waived in some instances, anyone have experience with this? The last thing i need is to have 2K sitting on a card and being forced to pay 13-20+ percent of that monthy

I've also heard that it's possible to get the 0 APR waived in some instances, anyone have experience with this? The last thing i need is to have 2K sitting on a card and being forced to pay 13-20+ percent of that monthy

Yea some credit card companies will extend the 0% apr or if they have a special offer for an additional term of 0% but I wouldn't bank on that. If you end up with a significant balance on a card that is going to accrue interest and you can't pay it in full, the best option would be a balance transfer to another card. You can get a card that will only charge you around 3% of the balance that you are transferring or some cards even have no balance transfer fee.

Yea some credit card companies will extend the 0% apr or if they have a special offer for an additional term of 0% but I wouldn't bank on that. If you end up with a significant balance on a card that is going to accrue interest and you can't pay it in full, the best option would be a balance transfer to another card. You can get a card that will only charge you around 3% of the balance that you are transferring or some cards even have no balance transfer fee.

Thank you for the info, but i was talking more about the bank canceling the APR agreement early. Ex: bank offer 12 month APR would they be able to cut that off at like the 6 month mark?

Thank you for the info, but i was talking more about the bank canceling the APR agreement early. Ex: bank offer 12 month APR would they be able to cut that off at like the 6 month mark?

If you make late payments they can cancel the 0% agreement.

Few questions

What would be the best 0 APR card right now and what's the limit?

I'm looking for something around a 2-3K limit, family member is in dire need and considering i only have one card as of now i've been really thinking about opening a card with a 0 APR and then slowly paying off the 2-3 K over the year,

I'm well aware that carrying that much debt on on a card is gonna lower my score, but this is kind of urgent. & i'm 100% sure it will be paid off before the 12 month deadline is up.
Your limit is based off of what the company believes is right for you. Some people start with $500 limits some 10K+ depends on your credit history.

If you make late payments they can cancel the 0% agreement.

i'll def keep that in mind, i've had my card for about 3-3 years now & i believe i've made 1 late payment
1 late payment is seen as "bad"
U shoulda called u could have had it taken off
Especially if it was just a day late

Been paying off all my credit cards 1 by 1
Even when I've gotten increases the past few months I haven't touched EM
Tryna pay off by the end of the year
Plan to go house shopping around the holidays this year
And car shopping (challenger I NEED me a scat pack)

Amex wouldn't waive the annual fee

Wouldn't even give me points or anything. Should have just canceled on em smh

How long does it take to get your credit report/score? Do you have to wait for it in the mail or can it be done online and results are instant?

Amex wouldn't waive the annual fee

Wouldn't even give me points or anything. Should have just canceled on em smh
Amex is dropping down in my eyes, numerous issues with them, am now speaking with my wallet and using chase. 
laugh.gif
 I'm sure my 3k limit is going to ruin their business. 

Amex is dropping down in my eyes, numerous issues with them, am now speaking with my wallet and using chase. :lol:  I'm sure my 3k limit is going to ruin their business. 

a lot of places aren't taking them anymore, but then again in this day and age its no excuse for a small business to not use a Square POS system.

I paid it but honestly I might just call and cancel and they can refund

Like I said barely use the card. Would it even affect my credit score since it's a charge card? Had it for about 3 years

If you have other cards and your credit score is good, the potential small hit you would take is really worth it since you'll save on the fees.

Especially if you're not looking into buying a house in the next 3 months.

I finally bit the bullet and applied for a Discover IT card. I wasn't instantly approved and got the 5-7 decision notice. I uploaded a credit card statement and my social security card. First time I haven't been instantly approved for credit in years. Discover clearly wants to play with my emotions this evening.

View media item 1971568

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom