24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

After a year or two does the card transition to a regular card or how does that work? I was thinking about either a secured capital one card or the discover card after I handled my collections

I had an unpaid medical bill hit collections. Paid it off then disputed it and the negatives were removed from my credit report
I see this happen ALL THE TIME! Medical facilities report patients immediately to collections even after the insurance check is cut to the hospitals. It infuriates me when a loan is denied because of this >:

Moral of the story
Stay Healthy & Out Of Hospitals.
Medical bills ain't a joke
Great Health Is WEALTH [emoji]129297[/emoji][emoji]129297[/emoji][emoji]129297[/emoji]

Last edited:
The guys with AMEX when you app for a charge card and credit card do they hit you with 1 inquiry or is it 2. I heard when you app with them for several cards at once they only do one hard pull.

I'm about to app with them after this im laying low

The guys with AMEX when you app for a charge card and credit card do they hit you with 1 inquiry or is it 2. I heard when you app with them for several cards at once they only do one hard pull.

I'm about to app with them after this im laying low
You won't regret it, my favorite card. 

Can someone oop me a referral for the discover IT card? [emoji]128064[/emoji] I need another card for gas and ect. Trying to build my credit even more.

Weird that I did not get instant approval on the new Chase Free Unlimited card.

My FICO score is a 791.

Loans I currently have:

1) student loans
2) small revolving credit card debt
3) loan for my motorcycle

Figured I would've gotten an instant approval.

My FICO score is a 791.

Loans I currently have:

1) student loans

thats wild :lol:. you should call the reconsideration line

I applied for another discover credit increase only 31 days after my last one. I remember reading somewhere it's possible to get an increase after a short time so I gave it a shot. When I applied i got a message saying I'll get a decision in 2 days, and the next day I logged on to discover and saw a $5,000 increase, and now my limit is up to $24,500! No income verification or anything. This is probably the last increase I'll see with this card, but it's crazy how I can get such a high limit from a card that I don't use that much.

Credit reports cycle every 60 days starting on the 1st of January. I'd suggest waiting out at the very least 60 days to request the increase, ideally 180 days.

My FICO score is a 791.

Loans I currently have:

1) student loans

If you have 5 or more new credit accounts in the last 2 years, it's an instant denial with chase. If that's not your case I would call the reconsideration line

Is it 30 or 90 days for first CLI request with discover?

For your first CLI it's 90 days, any after that you can try every 31 days.

Credit reports cycle every 60 days starting on the 1st of January. I'd suggest waiting out at the very least 60 days to request the increase, ideally 180 days.

Discover is different. They're pretty generous with CLIs and the majority of people who request every 31 days get them.

I use my Discover quite a bit but have opened like 4 new lines of credit in the past 30-45 days for buyin furniture and appliances. Should I wait to pay those new lines off before asking for a CLI wit Discover??

My FICO score is a 791.

Loans I currently have:

1) student loans

I went through this with Discover. I was 805 per Equifax which is what they pull in Texas. I called to see why there was a delay and they approved me for $10.5K on the spot. I have the same loans you have minus a car/bike note. They never said why. I hadn't applied for anything in a while I guess they wanted to make sure it was me.

I had an unpaid medical bill hit collections. Paid it off then disputed it and the negatives were removed from my credit report
I see this happen ALL THE TIME! Medical facilities report patients immediately to collections even after the insurance check is cut to the hospitals. It infuriates me when a loan is denied because of this >:

Happened to my a few years ago, insurance paid off the small bill and the hospital kept contacting me for the money when they had the insurance on file and proof I was covered. Called insurance and shows they were paid, went back and forth for months then eventually they said it was paid

Never affected my credit (didn't really have any then) but was pissed about the situation

My FICO score is a 791.

Loans I currently have:

1) student loans

I went through this with Discover. I was 805 per Equifax which is what they pull in Texas. I called to see why there was a delay and they approved me for $10.5K on the spot. I have the same loans you have minus a car/bike note. They never said why. I hadn't applied for anything in a while I guess they wanted to make sure it was me.

Could be anything really.

Missmatch of information that you entered vs whats on the credit bureau (name, address, new employer).

Lots of credit file don't get approved on the spot because the name is complicated and there is an error on the credit bureau. Then the error code has to be treated before the approval is made.

Last edited:
I want to Thank all of you guys in this thread that provided great info, because of you guys I finally hit 700!!!!! When I started paying attention to this thread I was at 620 which was around February. Keep the info coming and if your credit is bad and you trying to make it great keep at it.

WE ALL GONNA MAKE IT

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom