24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

[h1]Balance Due: Credit-Card Debt Nears $1 Trillion as Banks Push Plastic[/h1]
Between the $1.4T in student loan debt and $1T in car loans, the average American adult has $22,000 in non-mortgage debt! That's not even factoring in that not every adult has debt 
mean.gif

If 1/3 are debt free, that number jumps to $32,000 EACH
mean.gif

Question... anybody who never had a CC before apply for one at chase and got approved? 

I keep hearing about interest can someone explain that to me please. Like you pay interest everytime you use you card.

I keep hearing about interest can someone explain that to me please. Like you pay interest everytime you use you card.

You only pay interest if you don't pay your card off by the due date. Example:

You use your card all month and the statement cuts on May 26th. when your statement cuts, you have a $300 balance on the card. You get your bill and your due date is June the 21st. If you pay the full $300 before June 21st you won't be charged any interest. If you don't, you will be charged interest on whatever amount of the $300 you didn't pay.

What's the most cc debt you guys have been in, and how did you pay it off? Also how long did it take?

2k First Credit Card Debt / a year and a half. I was in and out of work which sucked at the time.

Teller at bank warned me **** can go from 0-100 real quick (and boy did it [emoji]128563[/emoji]) so don't go higher than $300
My 21 yr old dumbass self went overboard on a Polo Store shopping spree and more.

To impress people on CREDIT [emoji]128531[/emoji]

Wasn't satisfied with the 20 things (2 bags full) I bought on sale so went to car to put things up and went back for more. Swiped $1200 that day.

From there on swiped here and there (gas,food,shoes,misc etc etc)
Until I maxed it out

I don't shop for clothes anymore (high end or whatever)

Basic af nowadays

Packs of black or white tees

Sweats, joggers, skinnys

Few select Js (broke that gotta cop them all mindset)

Rock my socks and drawls until holes are all over

I'm cheap until I'm straight again

Last edited:
I've gone from about $12k in CC debt down to $2k in a year. I didn't work during college and started my career last year. I've been paying the highest interest off and minimum payment to everything else. Just have this last BoA card left. My advice if you have a lot of debt pay it off first and then save. Use a paid off card as your emergency and be responsible. When all is paid off start stacking and enjoy life.

Most I probably had at one time unexpected was $4500. Opened a new card to rollover the balance with 0% APR. Paid it off in a year.

Post how guys.

For me...I racked up 30k in credit card debt remodeling my house cause I knew nothing about eloc and went ham.

Anyway. I bought eggs and tuna cans, and never went out for a full year and half. No sneakers, no clothes, no bdays, no trips, no wasted driving.

Sent my whole paycheck (duplex so mortgage and then some was paid for by tenants) after keeping $100 to spend for the month on just eggs and tuna.

Only downside of paying off debt was gaining 50 pounds when I had money to go out and eat and take trips again :lol:

If you have a big shoe collection....sell it. You'll live.

If I sell my shoe collection again I'm quitting for good. I've already done that twice in 5 years :smh: :smh:

If I sell my shoe collection again I'm quitting for good. I've already done that twice in 5 years :smh: :smh:

Do it.

Im a serial outlet shopper now.

I do have lapses in judgment and get stuff I shouldn't but I don't miss anything and end up selling everything cause I rather wear comfy shoes and slides all day.

I'm more frugal, went to the Nike employee store earlier this month and still refused to pay $75 for shoes haha. I rarely buy clothes or shoes now a days.

I'm more frugal, went to the Nike employee store earlier this month and still refused to pay $75 for shoes haha. I rarely buy clothes or shoes now a days.

How do you get an invite. My wife wants to go to Oregon so if I can get in...ill make the trip with ulterior motives. :lol:

But, I'm with you...there's times I'm at the store and she'll tell me to buy em, and I'm like...this is a $40-60 shoe I can wait to go on clearance.

Good point

I made a strict budget about a year and a half ago when I decided i was going to buy my co-op. I needed to save for the down payment but also had about 3-4k in cc debt.

Made the budget and spent 0 on anything that wasn't 100% necessary like clothes going out to eat or car parts. I also took some risks and invested in somethings to flip to help me out. It worked out for me but I wouldn't recommend it to someone with more to lose.

After I bought my co-op the money i was saving each month went to the cc debt and knocked it out in the past 6 months

Do it.

Im a serial outlet shopper now.

I do have lapses in judgment and get stuff I shouldn't but I don't miss anything and end up selling everything cause I rather wear comfy shoes and slides all day.

I'm definitely taking your advice on this outlet digging. I branched out into runners and air maxes when I can cop on sale.

Used the discover app to request an increase, about 15 days after getting denied for "not enough experience with current limit" and logged in today to another $4,000 increase. Went from $1,000 starting credit limit to $13,000 in about 6 months. Waited the 91 days before requesting my first CLI then asking every 31 days (with the exception of this one 15 days after my last request via the app). All the discover cardholders request CLIs every 31 days they've been mad generous to me.

How do you get an invite. My wife wants to go to Oregon so if I can get in...ill make the trip with ulterior motives. :lol:

But, I'm with you...there's times I'm at the store and she'll tell me to buy em, and I'm like...this is a $40-60 shoe I can wait to go on clearance.

You have to know someone that works for them. My sister-in-law's friend is who was able to put me on the list. Employees are only allowed so many guest passes per month as well. Shoes are 40% off and clothes 50% off. Selection was mehh.

Back
Top Bottom