24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Holy cow... My score went down over 50 points for paying off my car loan a year early. Unbelievable.

I can’t believe I get penalized for that.

For those wondering, I did it to change the title. My company is paying me 5k for it, the difference between what I sell it for and the KBB value.

Jesus Christ :sick::smh:

This **** literally boggles my mind sometimes and makes zero sense

wtf?

I thought about paying off my lease in full because its cheap hoping it would make my score soar.... guess im not doing that :lol:

your score will go down when the last lease payment is made anyway. I forget the exact reasoning why, but any time a loan is completely paid off, your score will drop

Holy cow... My score went down over 50 points for paying off my car loan a year early. Unbelievable.

For those wondering, I did it to change the title. My company is paying me 5k for it, the difference between what I sell it for and the KBB value.

Yup. 8 wouldn’t even stress it though because getting $5k and saving on the interest you would have paid for the rest of the loan>A 50 point drop in your score from paying a loan off early.

I’m not trippin, I am a bit peeved though, especially since I plan on not having a car for a bit (haven’t had a car for a yr in Switzerland).

Is it an m3?

Anybody have any luck getting a late payment removed from their report? Them chase boys don't play :smh:

I have when it was my first time. My mom uses many cards and sometimes forgets a payment here and there and they always waive it for her.

If you have a clean record and history of making timely payments they should waive it for you

^When I talk to them on the phone they act like they don't know wtf I'm talking about. I'm not talking about the fee, I mean the actual mark on your report

Discover upped my limit to $19,700.00 yesterday. It's the highest limit I've ever had from any creditor.

Not to be funny, but does merchants still take Discover?

I keep getting their promo card in the mail. Is it worth it? Any benefits to having it?

Any idea how authorized users work? My wife and I lived in a diff country so she didn’t really have any credit history when we got to the US. I have a bunch of cards and old accounts and everything is paid off. I’m floating at close to 800. No CC debt, student loan, car loan.

I want to add her as an authorized user to 3 cards. Will bring an authorized user help her score or does she need to open up her own cards?

Any idea how authorized users work? My wife and I lived in a diff country so she didn’t really have any credit history when we got to the US. I have a bunch of cards and old accounts and everything is paid off. I’m floating at close to 800. No CC debt, student loan, car loan.

I want to add her as an authorized user to 3 cards. Will bring an authorized user help her score or does she need to open up her own cards?

It helps her

Once I have kids i am going to add them to a couple of my cards as soon as I can and not even give it to them to give them a head start

I keep getting their promo card in the mail. Is it worth it? Any benefits to having it?

Every merchant I’ve been to takes Discover. You should be fine unless you travel internationally

Discover is good for folks starting out in the credit world or just have thin files. They give good starting limits, too. I used it for the first year's cashback match and not after that, unless it's a category I spend often in for their rotating categories every quarter.

Discover is widely accepted in the US, but know for a fact it's not accepted widely abroad. Parents had difficulty using it in Thailand and Dubai.

It'll help her scores, but that's about it.

It won't really help her if she decides to apply for a loan or credit card. Lender's want to see that you yourself have a good payment history and track record. Some lenders don't take into account that you're an AU and must have a track record for yourself. Add her as an AU to your cards as well as establish credit history for her (apply for her own cards).

I’m using my discover IT cash back card for everything this year (year one) , it’s pretty much accepted everywhere. I’ve had a few times where the merchant didn’t accept but it was usually some mom and pop business in the sticks.

I live in a large city. I've never experienced Discover rejection. It's a run of the mill no annual fee card with rotating categories. Most of the major creditors offer something similar for cash back.

What's a good card for balance transfers right now? I'm carrying a bit much on my discover right now & don't wanna start paying interest on it.

My score is around 710-730 right now & I honetly wouldn't have any intentions of using the card other than to hold the balance while i pay it off.

What's a good card for balance transfers right now? I'm carrying a bit much on my discover right now & don't wanna start paying interest on it.

My score is around 710-730 right now & I honetly wouldn't have any intentions of using the card other than to hold the balance while i pay it off.
I used Citi, they had a 21 mo. promo period and I did the same thing you're planning on. Not sure what they have now, but maybe look at Chase Slate too. Your score is solid enough to qualify for pretty much any bt card if you need.

Back
Top Bottom