24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Anyone have different cards for different expenses? I'm thinking about diversifying my portfolio of cards to meet the specific expenses of my life. Ideally, I want cards that will maximize my rewards in each expense area. To start, what are some cards y'all use for grocery shopping?

Cards that I currently have:

1. Discover -- oldest account 7+ years. My daily...use for all my non-cash purchases.
2. GAP Visa -- signed up for it, in store, only so I could get a nice discount on a purchase. Owned for 2+ years. Only used it once.
3. Amazon Visa -- signed up for it, so I could qualify for free shipping and massive discount off a recent purchase. Owned for about 3 months now and have never used it.

My rotation:

Bank of America Cash rewards : 3% back on gas - I use it as gas card

Bank of America Better balance rewards : 35$ every quarter as long as you spend 25$+ per month. Put my 30$ cell phone bill on there

Chase Sapphire preferred 2x points going restaurants/fast food- Use it for dining - Never paid for flights (I go out to eat a lot)

Amex cash everyday- 3% on grocery- for grocery shopping

Dem %s add up

Question: can I put like 90% on my card and pay it off before the statement cuts (I'll pay it as soon as it posts essentially) without it affecting my score and everything negatively? Reason I ask is because I can pay my rent online with a card but it will be about 90 % of my limit. If I can eat off the rewards it would be great (get 2% cash back for doing something I was gonna do anyway) but if it'll kill my score then I'll wait till I've got higher limits. Reps will be given

Question: can I put like 90% on my card and pay it off before the statement cuts (I'll pay it as soon as it posts essentially) without it affecting my score and everything negatively? Reason I ask is because I can pay my rent online with a card but it will be about 90 % of my limit. If I can eat off the rewards it would be great (get 2% cash back for doing something I was gonna do anyway) but if it'll kill my score then I'll wait till I've got higher limits. Reps will be given

In my experience, paying off the balance in full and not carrying a large balance into a new billing cycle will not reflect negatively. That's how I utilize my cards. I charge and make sure to pay the balance in full before the due date so when the bill comes in the balance is $0.00 and my credit tracker shows credit utilization at 0%.

As long as you pay it before your statement cut date you would be fine. If you are going to pay rent on your card I would suggest paying it in full as soon as it post on your cc transactions. 

Anyone have different cards for different expenses? I'm thinking about diversifying my portfolio of cards to meet the specific expenses of my life. Ideally, I want cards that will maximize my rewards in each expense area. To start, what are some cards y'all use for grocery shopping?

Cards that I currently have:

1. Discover -- oldest account 7+ years. My daily...use for all my non-cash purchases.
2. GAP Visa -- signed up for it, in store, only so I could get a nice discount on a purchase. Owned for 2+ years. Only used it once.
3. Amazon Visa -- signed up for it, so I could qualify for free shipping and massive discount off a recent purchase. Owned for about 3 months now and have never used it.

I don't know what you spend your money on but the Chase Sapphire preferred,Citi premier, or Amex premier rewards gold should be a good start. Eventually you should have one from each company. You should be earning at least double points on most of your purchases.

@BeezyGotSole

@Zyzz

Just got this promo letter in the mail

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Any other cards out there that give you big signup bonus miles (40k +) , I already had the Chase United and Sapphire Preferred.

Going on a trip next year to Eqypt, I have 70,000 miles left in my account, one more big bonus would probably do it for me.

Anybody have suggestions, that are 1 to 1 with United Miles? :nerd:

Any other cards out there that give you big signup bonus miles (40k +) , I already had the Chase United and Sapphire Preferred.

Going on a trip next year to Eqypt, I have 70,000 miles left in my account, one more big bonus would probably do it for me.

Anybody have suggestions, that are 1 to 1 with United Miles? :nerd:

I plan on going to egypt too, what time of yr were u going and where you doing a tour?

Fellas still in here eating and raising those scores 
nthat.gif

About to wreck these CB rewards. Just remembered we were taking a cruise next year. About to place it on the Discover card and then pay it off once it comes in. 
nthat.gif

i just got my first CC from cap one. no annual fee & unlimited 1.5% cash back on purchases... Did i do good guise?

do you guys rotate card usage among your stable, or do you usually just keep one with balances? 

i have three but i only really use one...for pretty much everything

do you guys rotate card usage among your stable, or do you usually just keep one with balances? 

i have three but i only really use one...for pretty much everything
One I use for small, everyday items (Quicksilver for cash back).

The other I use for major purchases (VentureOne for miles).

Ok, so I had a tax lien removed my equifax account but not transunion. Any idea why it was just removed from only equifax? How would I go about getting it removed from transunion? Not sure if it's on my experian report as well.

Ok, so I had a tax lien removed my equifax account but not transunion. Any idea why it was just removed from only equifax? How would I go about getting it removed from transunion? Not sure if it's on my experian report as well.
How long has it been since it was removed? Could be a delay. TU and EX don't report at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom