24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Anyone have a cc with wells fargo? I've had one with them since I was 18 and I only have like 6k points. I feel like I'm being violated of my points :smh: I even have a 9k limit

Anyone called their cc company and negotiated for a lower APR?

Mine is 16.99% and it just pisses me off.

Looking to get my first credit card. is there a good place online to apply for one?

has anyone ever gotten a public record removed from their credit report? I want my tax lien removed from my credit report because I want to apply for a mortgage but don't want to wait until 8+ years for it to erase away. I wrote a page long letter to the all three credit bureaus and the NY State Tax Department but that didn't seem to help.
So it was a NY state tax lien and not a federal tax lien. I contacted the IRS about having it withdrawn and they wrote back to say it was a state tax lien and to contact them about the issue. I did and I received a letter back from the NY state saying it was paid and satisfied. How can I go about vacating the lien?

Finally got a real credit card after having my capital one secured for about a year.

Would paying off my balance in full and canceling the secured card hurt my credit? I don't think I need it anymore plus I was told that once I cancel the card my deposit would be sent back to me. Just want to make sure because I've heard that canceling a card can drop ones credit score...

Any advice?

Finally got a real credit card after having my capital one secured for about a year.

Would paying off my balance in full and canceling the secured card hurt my credit? I don't think I need it anymore plus I was told that once I cancel the card my deposit would be sent back to me. Just want to make sure because I've heard that canceling a card can drop ones credit score...

Any advice?

Why cancel the card? Why not just keep the account open and cut up the card?

Any advice?
Kind of iffy. Only 1 year history. general you dont want to close cards that have history because that helps your credit

1 year isnt that much really but it may hurt a little if you close it

Any advice?
You may take a minor hit in the short run, but a 1 year history on a card is nothing. Just cancel it and put the money in the bank.

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice!

Edit-

Got approved for the Amex everyday card. Application was quick, too less than 2 minutes to get approved. Was surprised since I only have about a years worth of credit history :lol:

Figured I might as well get another card and just use them for small purchases. Probably spend less than $400 a month combined and pay off the balance in full at the end of each month. Next step will probably be to apply for a small personal loan by the end of the year. Just trying to keep building my credit so that when the time comes to buy a house or if I want to get a new car my credit will be on point. I'm going to be real responsible with my credit...seen some of my family members make way too many bad choices :smh: when it comes to credit cards

Last edited:
My credit score went up 30 points 2 days ago. That was dope.

Question: For dudes that had delinquent closed accounts of their credit report, how did you go about fixing that? It's been about 7 years so I'm not trying to touch those closed account because I dont want them to go back to active status..

Also, does anyone have an anecdote they can share with us about using a secure card and helping out their credit score?

PenFed is some stingy people :lol: they bumped me from $500 limit to $2,500 on the Platinum Visa. When my score was in the 790-800 range I was getting card offers like everyday :lol:. Now i'm in the 740-750 range which is good but I wanna get back to 800 so i'm paying off some of my debt now.

FYI, 

All Amex charge cards (green, gold, platinum) have the same underwritting process. If you qualify for one, you can qualify for any of them. Just pick with perks and AF you are willing to live with. 

With that said i have the Green and rare Zync (white Amex charge card). I got them at the same time for different benefits at the same time. Usually if u get approved for one, u can go right back in and apply and get approved for the other one. One inquiry pull on credit. 

Amex just offered me the platinum upgrade with 35k in bonus points. But i just picked up the Chase Sapphire Preffered and wanted to focus on getting the 40k bonus points on that (took me a month. smh too much spending). IF that platinum offer (nice they sent me a damn book) comes back i might jump no it. and cancel after a year. Its an upgrade so no inquiry. and i get to say i had it. one of my dream cards as a kid. 

Depends. If your applying to get a bonus offer. Google the card and see what ads go up. apply through that. 

I missed out on a AMEX blue cash preferred offer by going direct on the amex site to apply, rather than googling the offer and going through the offer page. 

IF not i say go through the card issuers website. (sometimes they offer the bonus on their website, sometimes they dont. depends on the promo)

Exactly. Think like a lender for a second. If you have no income, you're not going to be able to pay it back unless you have a cosigner on the account that will pay the bill for you.

Sure hope you're not paying her bills. 22 and never having a job isn't a good look.
Never said we didnt have income and one thing i dont do is simp lol so no givin this way

Just lookin to build credit as i stated, something to charge little things and pay back quick

sorry I didnt quote more of you and didnt reply sooner. Actually forgot about this thread lol

As I stated though, Not trickin, not lookin to go into debt. Because my girl doesnt have a job doesnt mean she doesnt produce income. Appreciate the guy who recommended capitol one

Edit-

Got approved for the Amex everyday card. Application was quick, too less than 2 minutes to get approved. Was surprised since I only have about a years worth of credit history
laugh.gif

Figured I might as well get another card and just use them for small purchases. Probably spend less than $400 a month combined and pay off the balance in full at the end of each month. Next step will probably be to apply for a small personal loan by the end of the year. Just trying to keep building my credit so that when the time comes to buy a house or if I want to get a new car my credit will be on point. I'm going to be real responsible with my credit...seen some of my family members make way too many bad choices
mean.gif
when it comes to credit cards
I would go on an app spree right now (2-3 cards) and then garden for a year...Let the hardpulls drop off together...

Edit-

Got approved for the Amex everyday card. Application was quick, too less than 2 minutes to get approved. Was surprised since I only have about a years worth of credit history :lol:

Figured I might as well get another card and just use them for small purchases. Probably spend less than $400 a month combined and pay off the balance in full at the end of each month. Next step will probably be to apply for a small personal loan by the end of the year. Just trying to keep building my credit so that when the time comes to buy a house or if I want to get a new car my credit will be on point. I'm going to be real responsible with my credit...seen some of my family members make way too many bad choices :smh: when it comes to credit cards
I would go on an app spree right now (2-3 cards) and then garden for a year...Let the hardpulls drop off together...

Haha that's exactly what I did and am doing. Decided to apply for the capital one quicksilver card and chase sapphire and got approved for both :pimp:

Now time to be responsible and lay low with the apps and just continue building my credit for the rest of the year.

just checked my score and its 734 :smokin not bad

anyways, can you guys recommend the best CC for travel rewards?

I hope you checked you score with fico because the other ones are called fakos not real scores

My credit score was good when I bought my houses years ago but I really don't need credit too much anymore and if unconnected it knowhow to build it up fast

My score is around 350 right now...don't really care cause I never use credit.

Last edited:
Son what? What about jobs? Don't they check your credit Also?

Just regular bill paying keeps you in the 5-600 right? How is that even possible?

Oh yeah the school loans thing

Just checked my credit.

Apparently I got a parking ticket w/ my school (never saw the ticket). School never billed me, like they usually do. Never sent me a notice in the mail to my updated address. They let me graduate, which you can't do if you owe a balance. Collections company never bothered to reach out and now it shows a delinquent account on my credit report. Schools parking services says its too late to dispute the ticket b/c its been over a year. Over $59.00 :smh:.

Anyone have any advice on how to get this off of my credit report?

Just checked my credit.

Apparently I got a parking ticket w/ my school (never saw the ticket). School never billed me, like they usually do. Never sent me a notice in the mail to my updated address. They let me graduate, which you can't do if you owe a balance. Collections company never bothered to reach out and now it shows a delinquent account on my credit report. Schools parking services says its too late to dispute the ticket b/c its been over a year. Over $59.00
mean.gif

Anyone have any advice on how to get this off of my credit report?
Send a letter to the CA seeing if they'd be willing to do a PFD.  If not, pay the balance and send them a bunch of GW letters...

Last edited:
Son what? What about jobs? Don't they check your credit Also?

Just regular bill paying keeps you in the 5-600 right? How is that even possible?

Oh yeah the school loans thing
No, they mostly just check your credit report. Most places don't actually care about the score since it doesn't tell much of a story. As someone who used to go through people's credit reports daily, those things can easily tell who the fakers are.

Back
Top Bottom