48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Are you saying majority wins? This is Math we're discussing, not who should be the next class president.
laugh.gif

You keep getting 288 because you're reading the problem wrong.

THE END.

team 288 is making this a multiplication problem when it's a division problem. you're multiplying 48 halves and (9+3) when you should be dividing 48 by 2(9+3). to change it to a multiplication problem you would multiply by the reciprocal of the denominator

48 * 1/2(12)

48 * 1/24

48 * 1/24= 48/24

=2

team 288 is making this a multiplication problem when it's a division problem. you're multiplying 48 halves and (9+3) when you should be dividing 48 by 2(9+3). to change it to a multiplication problem you would multiply by the reciprocal of the denominator

48 * 1/2(12)

48 * 1/24

48 * 1/24= 48/24

=2

Since the 12 is still in the parenthesis..the number on the outside of the parenthesis is "2" and it means to multiply..so do the multiplication step first which gets you 24..then Divide 24 into the 48 and you get 2..

I can see why y'all gettin 288..but you're reading it wrong like Crux is stated..

Since the 12 is still in the parenthesis..the number on the outside of the parenthesis is "2" and it means to multiply..so do the multiplication step first which gets you 24..then Divide 24 into the 48 and you get 2..

I can see why y'all gettin 288..but you're reading it wrong like Crux is stated..

My argument is that 2(9+3) is not the same as 2*(9+3) because the former implies the distributive property and the latter does not.

Like I previously posted, the distributive property states that 2(9+3) is a statement that can't be broken up and must be simplified.

Using the distributive property, you have to simplify the 2(9+3) first

48÷2(9+3)
48÷2(12)
48÷24

My argument is that 2(9+3) is not the same as 2*(9+3) because the former implies the distributive property and the latter does not.

Like I previously posted, the distributive property states that 2(9+3) is a statement that can't be broken up and must be simplified.

Using the distributive property, you have to simplify the 2(9+3) first

48÷2(9+3)
48÷2(12)
48÷24

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by dmxgod

You can't complete the division first in this problem..

It has go to:

Multiplication from left to right then..division left to right..

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Team 2 is crazy. Its been proven NOT to be 2 numerous times, with examples from similar math problems and  proof, but they still don't believe

Originally Posted by dland24

You can't complete the division first in this problem..

It has go to:

Multiplication from left to right then..division left to right..

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Team 2 is crazy. Its been proven NOT to be 2 numerous times, with examples from similar math problems and  proof, but they still don't believe

distributive property? where in PEMDAS is the distributive property.

there is no difference between 2(9+3) or 2*(9+3) in this situation.

288!

multiplication and division from left to right. keep it simple. dudes are over-thinking it.

have you not read ANYTHING?!
if you don't see how people are getting 288, it's because you don't comprehend math even in it's simplest form. 

"2" and it means to multiply

true, but why are you multiplying the 2 before you divide?

48/2(2+3)

=48/2(12)

NOW SOLVE FROM LEFT TO RIGHT LIKE ANY OTHER MATH PROBLEM YOU'VE EVER DONE. MULTIPLICATION DOES NOT TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER DIVISION

=24(12)

=288

indifferent.gif
 at Team 2

distributive property? where in PEMDAS is the distributive property.

there is no difference between 2(9+3) or 2*(9+3) in this situation.

288!

multiplication and division from left to right. keep it simple. dudes are over-thinking it.

if you don't see how people are getting 288, it's because you don't comprehend math even in it's simplest form. 

48/2(2+3)

=48/2(12)

NOW SOLVE FROM LEFT TO RIGHT LIKE ANY OTHER MATH PROBLEM YOU'VE EVER DONE. MULTIPLICATION DOES NOT TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER DIVISION

=24(12)

=288

indifferent.gif
 at Team 2

Originally Posted by spacerace

48/2(2+3)

=48/2(12)

=24(12)

=288

indifferent.gif
 at Team 2

The 2 IS A PART OF THE 12..NOT THE 48!!!!

So 48/2(12)

48/24=2

Originally Posted by spacerace

48/2(2+3)

=48/2(12)

=24(12)

=288

indifferent.gif
 at Team 2

So 48/2(12)

48/24=2

Are you saying majority wins? This is Math we're discussing, not who should be the next class president.
laugh.gif

THE END.
No I'm actually reading the problem exactly how it is stated.
Why would the example problems from that website be structured the same as this, and get the answer that would be the same as 288?

It has nothing to do with the majority, it has to do with people who actually know WHY it should be this way.
I can say all I want but it doesn't add up to the credibility of someone who is actually known for their degree in ____ field.
I've always been very good at math, and have done great in school, but I'm just a college student, so what is that supposed to mean to someone else?

And there is a whole lot of people who are referring to the PEMDAS, and think that just because the M comes before D, then multiplication is more important than division, which is not true.
And it is not all in the denominator. The problem can just as well be read as 48 times .5 times 12. Which equals 288.

laugh.gif

THE END.
No I'm actually reading the problem exactly how it is stated.
Why would the example problems from that website be structured the same as this, and get the answer that would be the same as 288?

It has nothing to do with the majority, it has to do with people who actually know WHY it should be this way.
I can say all I want but it doesn't add up to the credibility of someone who is actually known for their degree in ____ field.
I've always been very good at math, and have done great in school, but I'm just a college student, so what is that supposed to mean to someone else?

And there is a whole lot of people who are referring to the PEMDAS, and think that just because the M comes before D, then multiplication is more important than division, which is not true.
And it is not all in the denominator. The problem can just as well be read as 48 times .5 times 12. Which equals 288.

So 48/2(12)

48/24=2

No, it's not. please, point me to one source where x(y) =/= x*y
ps. you wont find one. 

x(y) is simply multiplication, nothing further. 

and if you can not understand this simple concept, there is no hope for you to ever see the light. 

So 48/2(12)

48/24=2

No, it's not. please, point me to one source where x(y) =/= x*y
ps. you wont find one. 

x(y) is simply multiplication, nothing further. 

and if you can not understand this simple concept, there is no hope for you to ever see the light. 

Back
Top Bottom