48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by do work son

if you have 48/2(9+3) you're assuming it's a multiplication problem of 48/2 and (9+3). it isn't though. if you can't see that this is a division problem, then there isn't any sense in continuing to argue with you

are "X" and "*" different?  even though its impossible to use them differently when writing an equation?

Originally Posted by JMar 23

This thread is ridiculous.

Can we look at it like this?

_______

2(9+3)

team 288 is solving for a multiplication problem. the OG problem is a division problem though. team 288 keeps solving for 48/2 * (9+3) but that isn't how the problem is written. the problem is written as

_______    <--- that is what happens to your division sign

2(9+3)

What are you even talking about? We're solving the problem AS IS!! That is NOT what happens to your division sign sir. If you do that to the problem you are COMPLETELY ignoring order of operations because you are going straight into the division. You add what is inside the parentheses (Pemdas) first. Why is that so hard to understand??? If you do that first, which mostly everyone agrees on, you end up with 48/2(12)

I don't see how it can get more simple from there. You follow PEMDAS.

NOTE: MULTIPLICATION AND DIVISION ARE OF THE SAME RANK AND THUS YOU GO FROM LEFT TO RIGHT.

Do you see the 48/2? Notice how that is DIVISION? No fractions or any of that other bull @#$# you are trying to bring up. Simple division. SIMPLE. Then notice how you are left with MULTIPLICATION???

Follow the rules of the order of operation, it is not hard at all. LEFT TO RIGHT. 

48/2 = 24

24(12) = 24 * 12 = 24 x 12 = 12 x 2 x 12 = 12^2 * 2

Jesus Christ, what more simplification do you want?

If I read another one of your replies I just might go crazy. 

On that note, I hope this post can convince team 2. I really don't know what more information you want. 

If it doesn't convince you.....

taocjp.gif

I've tried my best. 

_______

2(9+3)

team 288 is solving for a multiplication problem. the OG problem is a division problem though. team 288 keeps solving for 48/2 * (9+3) but that isn't how the problem is written. the problem is written as

2(9+3)

What are you even talking about? We're solving the problem AS IS!! That is NOT what happens to your division sign sir. If you do that to the problem you are COMPLETELY ignoring order of operations because you are going straight into the division. You add what is inside the parentheses (Pemdas) first. Why is that so hard to understand??? If you do that first, which mostly everyone agrees on, you end up with 48/2(12)

NOTE: MULTIPLICATION AND DIVISION ARE OF THE SAME RANK AND THUS YOU GO FROM LEFT TO RIGHT.

Do you see the 48/2? Notice how that is DIVISION? No fractions or any of that other bull @#$# you are trying to bring up. Simple division. SIMPLE. Then notice how you are left with MULTIPLICATION???

Follow the rules of the order of operation, it is not hard at all. LEFT TO RIGHT. 

48/2 = 24

On that note, I hope this post can convince team 2. I really don't know what more information you want. 

taocjp.gif

I've tried my best. 

why do "team 2" dudes keep claiming "ITS A DIVISION PROBLEM, ITS A DIVISION PROBLEM"

NO, its a problem with division in it, you know what else is also in it?  multiplication and addition

and we're not ignoring division at all, we divide 48 by 2

why do "team 2" dudes keep claiming "ITS A DIVISION PROBLEM, ITS A DIVISION PROBLEM"

NO, its a problem with division in it, you know what else is also in it?  multiplication and addition

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

_______

2(9+3)

2(9+3)

48/2 = 24

taocjp.gif

I've tried my best. 
And to simplify even more, it isn't 48/2, it is 48÷2. I don't know where they are even getting these fractions from. Just follow the order of operations with the equation as it is written.

_______

2(9+3)

2(9+3)

48/2 = 24

taocjp.gif

I've tried my best. 
And to simplify even more, it isn't 48/2, it is 48÷2. I don't know where they are even getting these fractions from. Just follow the order of operations with the equation as it is written.

You guys are adding a parenthesis which gives you 288

this problem is 48 / 2(9+3) not (48/2) (9+3) but it does not even matter anymore because this is clearly how it is interpreted and whoever says fractions and division is different that is not true. They are one in the same.

this problem is 48 / 2(9+3) not (48/2) (9+3) but it does not even matter anymore because this is clearly how it is interpreted and whoever says fractions and division is different that is not true. They are one in the same.

Originally Posted by yungchris504

It is NOT adding anything. you do NOT need to add anything.
You do not NEED parentheses around 48/2 because it occurs FIRST. Once you solve within the parentheses, you go to the beginning, the left hand side, of the problem. Which is 48/2. It is 24, which is applied, distributed, multiplied, however you want to say it, to the parentheses next to it.
48/2(9+3) is the exact same as (48/2)(9+3) but NOT the same as 48/(2(9+3)) or 48/[2(9+3)]

It is NOT adding anything. you do NOT need to add anything.
You do not NEED parentheses around 48/2 because it occurs FIRST. Once you solve within the parentheses, you go to the beginning, the left hand side, of the problem. Which is 48/2. It is 24, which is applied, distributed, multiplied, however you want to say it, to the parentheses next to it.
48/2(9+3) is the exact same as (48/2)(9+3) but NOT the same as 48/(2(9+3)) or 48/[2(9+3)]

Do I have to hold your hand and do it with you? Okay.
Parenthesis: 9+3 = 12. All that's left now is 48÷2(12)
No exponents.
Multiplication/division. Whichever is first from left to right. Which is first? Division. So, 48÷2=24. What's left? 24(12)
Okay, multiplication is up. 24(12)=24x12=288. Stop, don't you dare say 24(12)=/=24x12. If you are, don't bother replying.
I just broke down the exact equation for you. As is. 48÷2(9+3) Didn't have to change anything, unlike Team 2.

Do I have to hold your hand and do it with you? Okay.
Parenthesis: 9+3 = 12. All that's left now is 48÷2(12)
No exponents.
Multiplication/division. Whichever is first from left to right. Which is first? Division. So, 48÷2=24. What's left? 24(12)
Okay, multiplication is up. 24(12)=24x12=288. Stop, don't you dare say 24(12)=/=24x12. If you are, don't bother replying.
I just broke down the exact equation for you. As is. 48÷2(9+3) Didn't have to change anything, unlike Team 2.

Originally Posted by JChambers

Team 2 trying to change the rules of math over here and @#$# 
laugh.gif

"Nah man @#$# order of operations, that @#$# don't even matter in this problem, just throw in a bunch of parentheses to arrive at 2"

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

15cbozs.jpg

Originally Posted by JChambers

Team 2 trying to change the rules of math over here and @#$# 
laugh.gif

"Nah man @#$# order of operations, that @#$# don't even matter in this problem, just throw in a bunch of parentheses to arrive at 2"

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

15cbozs.jpg

Son..... 48/2(9+3) and (48/2) (9+3) state the EXACT SAME THING. They're equal. They're the same. 

Son..... 48/2(9+3) and (48/2) (9+3) state the EXACT SAME THING. They're equal. They're the same. 

Back
Top Bottom