A Rapper's Perspective

Originally Posted by ThatDudeChris

you guys take hip hop too serious.
You guys? As in you musicians??  Hence the underlined : From a Rapper's Perspective.. How serious do you take YOUR job? What about your  hobbies and passions? What if they were one and the same? I could see if it said "From the perspective of a guy who sorta listens to rap after school and on weekends"... but it doesn't. My life has been wrapped up in music since I was 12 with a saxophone and a spark, so excuse me. Maybe it's because I see just how accessible rap music is SUPPOSED to be for the average person. It's NOT complicated. Anybody with a metranome (or just plain rhythm) can write a rap verse and express their inner most thoughts. I love that. I love how basic rap really is having studied how complicated music CAN be... (I still can't read bass clef after 10 years
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
. I'm amazed that pianist do so while simultaneously reading treble clef AND playing it all!
eek.gif
) I can play the sax...which is easy to me But that's atypical for cats like me and it sets me a part from my peers. But even though I'm a jazzhole amongst a dozen other sphincters, we can all relate to rap and hip-hop and how universal it is to us. So the fact that rap alienated ME...of all people.... is just sad man
30t6p3b.gif

i rap too.. but even jay z dont take it that personal. music evolves. ppl evolve. if you really like it then "make another HOV" but like most "Real hip hop" heads, dudes spend too much of their time complaining about how rap isn't what it used to be, they've been saying the same thing since the 80's. No excuses, if you want hip hop to live the way you perceive it then make an effort to revive it. Already the hipsters are making a conscience effort to bring it into the mainstream style

i rap too.. but even jay z dont take it that personal. music evolves. ppl evolve. if you really like it then "make another HOV" but like most "Real hip hop" heads, dudes spend too much of their time complaining about how rap isn't what it used to be, they've been saying the same thing since the 80's. No excuses, if you want hip hop to live the way you perceive it then make an effort to revive it. Already the hipsters are making a conscience effort to bring it into the mainstream style

eh... a lot of *!@*%$ rap... show me something. There used to be a time when you had to have credentials to make claims...

eh... a lot of *!@*%$ rap... show me something. There used to be a time when you had to have credentials to make claims...

dude like my friend said Nas made another album after Hip hop is Dead so obviously... it's not dead.

check out Blu, Nujabes, Fashawn, Sha Stimuli, theres alot of new dudes making that hip hop your talking about. you just gotta search and be open.

hip hop changes with beats

dude like my friend said Nas made another album after Hip hop is Dead so obviously... it's not dead.

check out Blu, Nujabes, Fashawn, Sha Stimuli, theres alot of new dudes making that hip hop your talking about. you just gotta search and be open.

hip hop changes with beats

Why can't we just enjoy what we like and find others that like what we like and all enjoy together instead of complaining about it. < -- A rapper's perspective

Why can't we just enjoy what we like and find others that like what we like and all enjoy together instead of complaining about it. < -- A rapper's perspective

The thing with hip hop is bad rappers can succeed. Gucci mane,Waka, etc. That doesn't really happen with other genres of music. But that doesn't mean hip hop is dead.
laugh.gif
 There are a plethora of artists out there making good music. There is alot of talent in the new breed of rappers. just come in with an open mind and give them a chance

The thing with hip hop is bad rappers can succeed. Gucci mane,Waka, etc. That doesn't really happen with other genres of music. But that doesn't mean hip hop is dead.
laugh.gif
 There are a plethora of artists out there making good music. There is alot of talent in the new breed of rappers. just come in with an open mind and give them a chance

Originally Posted by nom de guerre

laugh.gif
QFT!!!

Originally Posted by nom de guerre

laugh.gif
QFT!!!

Originally Posted by Chrisphreezy

I'm a waka flocka fan so trust, I'm not telling ANYBODY not to take what's out there and enjoy it for what it is. When I say rap is dead to me, what I mean is kinda simple to understand if you take the NBA analogies to heart..

Lok how the NBA emraces it's culture and history. The Finals MVP award is now the Bill Russel Award. There's a hall of fame and *#$@. Ray Ray hugged Reggie like 12 times th following week after he took his record
laugh.gif

Now look at rap..

Rap lost me when Cam dissed Jay for aging... not for being wack, but for still being ALIVE after his twenties. The %%#%? When does respiration get old? And I mean.. I like Cam and all, but his top 3 albums ain't seeing Jay's top three albums post-30 years old. Look how fast rap trieds to *#$@ on its-damn-self. It's sad. Give a song 3 months and it's already too old to be played in the car with the windows down. Rap used to be the anti-trend. Now it's more flimsy and see through than ever before..

I still love it.. I just don't follow it. I don't know any "new" rappers by name other than Freddie Gibbs, and I liked him alot more in 2005.

I'm a waka flocka fan so trust, I'm not telling ANYBODY not to take what's out there and enjoy it for what it is. When I say rap is dead to me, what I mean is kinda simple to understand if you take the NBA analogies to heart..

Lok how the NBA emraces it's culture and history. The Finals MVP award is now the Bill Russel Award. There's a hall of fame and *#$@. Ray Ray hugged Reggie like 12 times th following week after he took his record
laugh.gif

Now look at rap..

Rap lost me when Cam dissed Jay for aging... not for being wack, but for still being ALIVE after his twenties. The %%#%? When does respiration get old? And I mean.. I like Cam and all, but his top 3 albums ain't seeing Jay's top three albums post-30 years old. Look how fast rap trieds to *#$@ on its-damn-self. It's sad. Give a song 3 months and it's already too old to be played in the car with the windows down. Rap used to be the anti-trend. Now it's more flimsy and see through than ever before..

I still love it.. I just don't follow it. I don't know any "new" rappers by name other than Freddie Gibbs, and I liked him alot more in 2005.

Originally Posted by Willy Hitchero

laugh.gif

Now look at rap..

I kinda feel what you mean there.  Personally I definitely can see a change, and it's not completely good but at the same time I don't think Rap is done

laugh.gif

Now look at rap..

I kinda feel what you mean there.  Personally I definitely can see a change, and it's not completely good but at the same time I don't think Rap is done

laugh.gif

Now look at rap..

And? Did Jay even respond. No he didn't He's to busy buying mansions and running basketball teams to do that. Meanwhile Cams to busy performing at local clubs for some change. There's no need to group hip hop all together like that though. Its still alive bro. This isn't the mid 90's or early 2000's.That era is gone. And even then there were still alot of ignorant *+$% like there is now. But there's no need to bash hip hop as a whole and bring down alot of good artists in the game.   

laugh.gif

Now look at rap..

And? Did Jay even respond. No he didn't He's to busy buying mansions and running basketball teams to do that. Meanwhile Cams to busy performing at local clubs for some change. There's no need to group hip hop all together like that though. Its still alive bro. This isn't the mid 90's or early 2000's.That era is gone. And even then there were still alot of ignorant *+$% like there is now. But there's no need to bash hip hop as a whole and bring down alot of good artists in the game.   

Nah, rap as a technique is here to STAY. It may even edge out singing and end up being the single most popular "lyric delivery mechanism" in a few years. But hip-hop, as we knew it to be, is just about gone. It had children, so the bloodline is intact. But the %@$% we grew up on and the reasons we liked it are no longer relevant.. The rapper that made me wanna rap just said "***$#% want my old %@$%? Buy my old albums". Well I did. And it's not that he's not as talented of a rapper today as he always was, it's that he knows listeners don't want to hear just how talented he is. At least he "doubled his dollars" though. I ain't mad.. just disappointed in rap consumers for DEMANDING the lesser.

I'm not bashing it or bringing down anybody. I never have and never will.. I just can't rememeber the last time I cared about anything mainstream. And that's not the same as saying "The music is bad". I just think the way the industtry is structured today makes a talented guy like myself not even wanna be apart of it. I'm almost embarassed to be a hip-hop head because of what hip-hop has come to represent. We're a joke. Our whole hustle is a joke. The whole rap "Game" is just that, a game. Meanwhile, other genre's actually support their legends well into seniority. US? We spit people out every week. and when we aren't doing that, we're !%*@!%%* on the next man's come up. Just a bunch of gold chain wearing crabs and cooons in their chromed out barrels on 28s... I hate what WE'VE allowed to happen to our sacred art form. This *$%! dead man...

Nah, rap as a technique is here to STAY. It may even edge out singing and end up being the single most popular "lyric delivery mechanism" in a few years. But hip-hop, as we knew it to be, is just about gone. It had children, so the bloodline is intact. But the %@$% we grew up on and the reasons we liked it are no longer relevant.. The rapper that made me wanna rap just said "***$#% want my old %@$%? Buy my old albums". Well I did. And it's not that he's not as talented of a rapper today as he always was, it's that he knows listeners don't want to hear just how talented he is. At least he "doubled his dollars" though. I ain't mad.. just disappointed in rap consumers for DEMANDING the lesser.

I'm not bashing it or bringing down anybody. I never have and never will.. I just can't rememeber the last time I cared about anything mainstream. And that's not the same as saying "The music is bad". I just think the way the industtry is structured today makes a talented guy like myself not even wanna be apart of it. I'm almost embarassed to be a hip-hop head because of what hip-hop has come to represent. We're a joke. Our whole hustle is a joke. The whole rap "Game" is just that, a game. Meanwhile, other genre's actually support their legends well into seniority. US? We spit people out every week. and when we aren't doing that, we're !%*@!%%* on the next man's come up. Just a bunch of gold chain wearing crabs and cooons in their chromed out barrels on 28s... I hate what WE'VE allowed to happen to our sacred art form. This *$%! dead man...

This, it's one of the major things that makes it hard for critics to take hip-hop as a form seriously. Because of tomfoolery like that, nobody bothers trying to find out/appreciate the stuff that really hits home. I used to be like that back in the day too. Took more than a few joints to open up my ears though. And one thing that is overlooked by critics of hip-hop in my opinion, is the education that listeners get for other genres and dope music they never would have found out about otherwise. If it wasn't for digging up samples and whatnot, I'd never have been exposed to classics in soul, funk, jazz, etc. that I can't leave the house without nowadays. My parents never listen to it, so hip-hop was really the only way I found out and I definitely appreciate the musical knowledge I've picked up that way.

The way music is distributed nowadays has caused the music industry as a whole to crumble too. Nobody cares about creating coherent albums, just singles they can flip on itunes/amazon/whatever. So we come to expect less of everyone since we know their albums are just mostly gonna be one or two decent tracks and a whole lot of filler. I love buying vinyl and cds when I get the chance, especially for the artwork and liner notes, but with most stuff nowadays it just isn't worth it. Nobody puts any effort into the packaging anymore either. It's a damn shame.

This, it's one of the major things that makes it hard for critics to take hip-hop as a form seriously. Because of tomfoolery like that, nobody bothers trying to find out/appreciate the stuff that really hits home. I used to be like that back in the day too. Took more than a few joints to open up my ears though. And one thing that is overlooked by critics of hip-hop in my opinion, is the education that listeners get for other genres and dope music they never would have found out about otherwise. If it wasn't for digging up samples and whatnot, I'd never have been exposed to classics in soul, funk, jazz, etc. that I can't leave the house without nowadays. My parents never listen to it, so hip-hop was really the only way I found out and I definitely appreciate the musical knowledge I've picked up that way.

The way music is distributed nowadays has caused the music industry as a whole to crumble too. Nobody cares about creating coherent albums, just singles they can flip on itunes/amazon/whatever. So we come to expect less of everyone since we know their albums are just mostly gonna be one or two decent tracks and a whole lot of filler. I love buying vinyl and cds when I get the chance, especially for the artwork and liner notes, but with most stuff nowadays it just isn't worth it. Nobody puts any effort into the packaging anymore either. It's a damn shame.

Back
Top Bottom