ADIDAS BBall Boost Thread - BYW, Crazy Explosive & Crazy Light & OTHER BBALL ADJACENT SNEAKERS

Hey guys, im thinking of getting some adidas gear, but i cant make up my mind, i need you you guys to help me out
Of course im torn between the crazy explosive, crazy lights and d rose 7s. Im a 6ft(178-180cm) point/shooting guard, my game mostly revolves around me slashing and beating my defender with quickness, step backs here and there, rarely dunks. As a guard everyone says i need court feel, and i guess i agree since having that would mean you are quicker(more or less), but i my knees get fcked up from shoes who are focused on those(i had a pair of clutchfit drivers, great court feel, but every time after a lay up/dunk with a bit more air time, my heels and knees would hurt.) 
I play basketball overseas in the UK, they dont pay me enough for me to buy all kiiiiindz of shoes just yet, haha.

P.S.: From what i gather the explosives are best overall, but would i lose some quickness on my first step or something since they dont have as much courtfeel as the other two?
I would really love someone to explain why should i get ''this instead of that'' and would help ME, as a player(style).

Hey guys, im thinking of getting some adidas gear, but i cant make up my mind, i need you you guys to help me out

Of course im torn between the crazy explosive, crazy lights and d rose 7s. Im a 6ft(178-180cm) point/shooting guard, my game mostly revolves around me slashing and beating my defender with quickness, step backs here and there, rarely dunks. As a guard everyone says i need court feel, and i guess i agree since having that would mean you are quicker(more or less), but i my knees get fcked up from shoes who are focused on those(i had a pair of clutchfit drivers, great court feel, but every time after a lay up/dunk with a bit more air time, my heels and knees would hurt.) 

I play basketball overseas in the UK, they dont pay me enough for me to buy all kiiiiindz of shoes just yet, haha.

P.S.: From what i gather the explosives are best overall, but would i lose some quickness on my first step or something since they dont have as much courtfeel as the other two?

I would really love someone to explain why should i get ''this instead of that'' and would help ME, as a player(style).

I've been trying to decide the same. Basically it seems like the CE soft cushioning might cause you to be slightly slower, but would likely help the knees. The D Rose 7 has more court feel, and support but somewhat less cushion, and is noticeably heavier and bulkier to me. The CLB 2016 was my pick because court feel and traction are most important to me, and boost will always have at least decent cushion. Now I'm leaning towards Harden Vol. 1, but gotta try them for myself.

Seems like the Boost isn't consistent between pairs. The CE's forefoot was lowest to the ground on the pair that I ordered compared to the other two shoes. The CLB and Rose 7 has the consistent Boost feel full length. I liked the Rose 7 the best, great cushion but still have somewhat of court feel, and has natural foot strike motion and it worked well with the mesh upper. The lock down is more secure forefoot to ankle up. The CE's lack of extra lace loops like the Pros wear I think you should lean with the Rose 7 since you play professionally. You don't want one of the lace loops to break on you and become a liability. The Rose 7 outsole to me will last longer as there has been issue with the CE's fraying after couple wears. Rose 7 mesh or the primeknit is for you to decide.

Also, don't restrict yourself to those 3 Boost options as the Lillard 2 with the Bounce is nice as well.

Last edited:
+1 on the D Lillard 2s. What I like about them is that they are a lot more consistent than the boost since everyone seems to have different opinions about the boost set up they get unlike what the reviews say (moreso talking about the one in crazy explosives).

If you were to pick the Rose 7 though, just beware that you may or may not like the extra space in the toe box (mesh version) as it may not hug your feet and your toes may feel so roomy. I don't know about the primeknit version though. From what I gather, PK > mesh but the traction in mesh > PK.

I have all those shoes except I returned the D Rose 7 (mesh) as I hated the extra toe space and right now my favourite is the D Lillard 2s. Of course everyone is different and you may not love it as much as I do.

Plus, the 3 and the Harden 1s coming so soooooon.

Last edited:
Just a quick recap about each shoes from the top of my head:
Crazy Explosive

Pros:

- Great court feel with great impact protection

- Reviews say are "the best" shoe out.

Cons:

- Weak rubber compound is used in the outsole and may not last long

- Inconsistent boosts found on each pair. Some may get hard boosts and may require break-in

- Inferior 4 lace loops set up in GR as opposed to what the pros get.
Crazy Light Boost 2016

Pros:

- Continental rubber on some pairs which provide great traction and durability

Cons:

- Horrible fit. Very inconsistent as not everyone can achieve great lock down.
NOTE: *** Thicker boost is implemented (just like in the D Rose 7) compare to the Crazy Explosive but still provide great impact protection.***
D Rose 7

Pros:

- Best traction is found on the solid rubber outsole which is only found on the mesh version.

Cons:

- Differing opinions about the toe space on the mesh version. Some may not like it as it can be roomy height wise.

- Weak rubber is used on the outsole and may not last long
D Lillard 2

Pros:

- One piece booty upper provides great fit

- Some pairs have continental rubber which provides great traction and durability

- The best bang for the buck shoe of 2016

- Bounce cushion is very bouncy while still providing great court feel and impact protection. Think a step below zoom air.

Cons:

- Outsole grooves are very tightly spaced and can trap dusts and be slippery when playing.
I may seem very biased towards the D Lillard 2s but I actually also love my Crazy Explosives and my Crazylight 2016s. In fact I have 3 CLB 2016s on the way. If it wasn't for the horrible lockdown of the shoe, I think it could have been the best shoe out now. But it isn't.

With that being said, I think you should wait 2 more weeks as I think the Harden Vol. 1s may be a good choice for you.

Last edited:

I've tried all 3... NHKB in the post above me does a great breakdown, I'll just add my own quick observations. For the crazy light the fit is bad the boost is nice but the sole feels too chunky it's not a natural feeling even after trying to break them in my ankles and knees never felt safe. Two years ago I tore my medial meniscus in my right knee, so if I don't feel "safe" I'm flat out not playing in the shoe at all.

Crazy Explosive is the most comfortable hoop shoe I've tried in a long time but the upper is too soft imo for playing against serious competition unless you always wear a lace up brace like the ASO ankle stabilizer. For a shoe that is $100 to $130 depending where you get it from that's kind of a tough pill to swallow that you might have to drop another $50 on ankle braces just for security.

The last one I got was the D Rose and that's the one I like the best. Finally got a pair two weeks ago and I wish I would've just got them the first day they came out. Lockdown, traction, cushion, fit is all on point. Really wanted to get a Primeknit pair but the colors are too loud for winter hooping so I went with the cheaper mesh option. My only issue with them was a little extra room in the toebox, I felt like my toes were wiggling around too much while I was playing. I took out the incredibly thin (seriously they're like 1mm thick lol) stock adidas insoles and trimmed some New Balance insoles out of some runners that I don't use any more and it took care of the toebox volume issue.  Highly reccomend The D Rose 7s for your playing style and to take good care of the knees/ankles playing at a high level.

I've tried all 3... NHKB in the post above me does a great breakdown, I'll just add my own quick observations. For the crazy light the fit is bad the boost is nice but the sole feels too chunky it's not a natural feeling even after trying to break them in my ankles and knees never felt safe. Two years ago I tore my medial meniscus in my right knee, so if I don't feel "safe" I'm flat out not playing in the shoe at all.
Crazy Explosive is the most comfortable hoop shoe I've tried in a long time but the upper is too soft imo for playing against serious competition unless you always wear a lace up brace like the ASO ankle stabilizer. For a shoe that is $100 to $130 depending where you get it from that's kind of a tough pill to swallow that you might have to drop another $50 on ankle braces just for security.
The last one I got was the D Rose and that's the one I like the best. Finally got a pair two weeks ago and I wish I would've just got them the first day they came out. Lockdown, traction, cushion, fit is all on point. Really wanted to get a Primeknit pair but the colors are too loud for winter hooping so I went with the cheaper mesh option. My only issue with them was a little extra room in the toebox, I felt like my toes were wiggling around too much while I was playing. I took out the incredibly thin (seriously they're like 1mm thick lol) stock adidas insoles and trimmed some New Balance insoles out of some runners that I don't use any more and it took care of the toebox volume issue.  Highly reccomend The D Rose 7s for your playing style and to take good care of the knees/ankles playing at a high level.

Do you think higher ankle support provides better protection in addition to the mental relief?

Do you think higher ankle support provides better protection in addition to the mental relief?
In the case of the D Rose 7 I would say definitely. The support materials and the heel cup, the way it wraps around the ankle is great. The first time I wore them I turned my right ankle stepping on someone's foot going after a bad pass. As I was falling to the court I was thinking "well I just effed my ankle for about a month". When I picked myself up off the court it was hurting but I could walk on it. I took the next few days off resting and icing it and was back to playing less than a week later. The thing I flashed back on was a similar sprain to my left ankle back in June where I stepped on a foot pursing a rebound and turned it wearing the Nike Hyperlive. I walked that one off, tried icing but the next day it blew up on me and I was out almost 6 weeks. Everyone has their own experiences with ankle injuries and I don't want to sound like an Adidas commercial and I'm definitely not hating on lows (because I was practically living in the Kobe's and the Curry 1 for the last 3 or 4 years) but these Rose 7 has that secure around the ankle fit similar to some of the older LeBron models, kind of like the Soldier VI or a few of the better Hyperdunk and even (I think it was the 2013) Hyperfuse.

Have there been any news/rumors about the Porzingis PE's releasing? I'm itching to grab the black primeknit, but putting it off in hope the black/blue/orange PE will come out.

Have you taken the Lillard 2 outdoors? How'd the rubber hold up?

I have , it was the black and red I think it's the away colourway , took them outside several timeslike 30 held up pretty well . Unlike the clb 2015which where ruined after like 4 wearsView media item 2235995Traction outside is always going to be hit or miss

Last edited:
I have , it was the black and red I think it's the away colourway , took them outside several timeslike 30 held up pretty well . Unlike the club 2015which where ruined after like 4 wearsView media item 2235995Traction outside is always going to be hit or miss

That looks pretty good. Thinking of getting these as a backup/lowtop/outdoor shoe. Can't beat the price.

Wonder why they don't do continental rubber for every shoe, haven't really heard of any downsides.

That looks pretty good. Thinking of getting these as a backup/lowtop/outdoor shoe. Can't beat the price.

Wonder why they don't do continental rubber for every shoe, haven't really heard of any downsides.
I think the downside is cost, it probably cost them a little bit more to use it, and I don't think it can necessarily take in all the different colors they try to use. 

But I agree, it'd be nice to see them use it more consistently

I'm with you. I've been very happy with my Dame 2s. Much happier than I've been with the Rose 6s, 7s, and CEs I've tried out. I'm one of those that find Boost inconsistent in the pairs I've tried while the Bounce is a very good and consistent cushioning system.

adidas-basketball-xeno-on-court-collection-1.jpg

when and where does this cw drop will be my first pair of CE

Back
Top Bottom