Adidas NMD thread

Do you guys think that the NMD yellow are going to drop today at ADC like they did yesterday in the German store?

Kidding, but not really though.

I never said people buy NMDs because of hype, I said adidas was building hype by keeping the shoes limited. It's not a new or foreign technique, companies of all shapes and sizes have been using it for years to great success. But, now that you mention it, there are definitely a lot of people buying the shoe largely because of the hype around it (resellers for example). In fact I'd say that's the case with the majority of people buying the shoe right now. So many were on the fence initially but after seeing how fast they sold out, they're all trying to cop. It's not like NMD fans are purists, immune to the hype.

Also the Ultra Boost was & is a much bigger shoe for adidas impact & sales wise than the NMD, the NMD still has to prove itself outside of the "hypebeast" market. And considering the UB is the most popular runner on the market right now, I'd say it's been helping adidas compete with Nike just fine for a good stretch before the NMD showed up.

Larger releases of the NMD will sell out right now, primarily because of the hype that adidas has built up around them by keeping them limited & in demand so far.
True, but whats the gain from releasing small quantities of "hyped" shoes. They don't stand to make any profit from the resellers. The non-PK NMD are not going to sell out like this but they will be available in much larger quantities despite demand being less. It just doesn't make sense to me from a business point of view.

The ultraboost was available in much larger quantities its not the same thing. I do think you are overestimating the power of hype. If there are limited quantites released resellers will automatically buy as many as they can.

True, but whats the gain from releasing small quantities of "hyped" shoes. They don't stand to make any profit from the resellers. The non-PK NMD are not going to sell out like this but they will be available in much larger quantities despite demand being less. It just doesn't make sense to me from a business point of view.

The ultraboost was available in much larger quantities its not the same thing. I do think you are overestimating the power of hype. If there are limited quantites released resellers will automatically buy as many as they can.

all you're doing is regurgitating information thats been said for years about how shoe releases work. Its just what happens.

yes, if the companies release more stock, the consumer will buy more and they make more money, but these companies have doing this for years. They understand just how much demand is out there and know how to play the market so they dont over saturate it and keep people thirsty.

also non PK NMDs were put up for pre order the other day on Urban Outfitters and were gone instantly, so you were wrong there.

Last edited:
Do the old atc links still work for adidas? I haven't tried for any release lately. Guessing they patched it up

Last edited:
lol a pre-release on urban outfitters is all the evidence you are going to provide.

And thats what I said its an old business model and not original, nor does it maximise profits.

What are you bringing to this discussion?

lol a pre-release on urban outfitters is all the evidence you are going to provide.

And thats what I said its an old business model and not original, nor does it maximise profits.

Ask yourself this, if every single PK colorway was available, would the pre-orders for the GRs on UO have sold out that quickly?

how can I provide more evidence when thats been the only place to release so far?

So do you think nike/adidas just dont have years and years and years and years of data and analysis that explains why they release things the ways they do, or do you really think they just say "ahh screw it, lets just make X amount of pairs of this shoe and watch people squirm for them"

It's about the long gain in profit, not the short profit on one colorway/model
theres hasnt been just one colorway...

These shoes aren't classic like OG Jordan nor will they ever be there is no value in making them exclusive with limited releases.

theres hasnt been just one colorway... you're fighting an entire thread here man
These shoes aren't classic like OG Jordan nor will they ever be there is no value in making them exclusive with limited releases.

lets at least let the game play out before we say how it finishes....

Last edited:
how can I provide more evidence when thats been the only place to release so far?

So do you think nike/adidas just dont have years and years and years and years of data and analysis that explains why they release things the ways they do, or do you really think they just say "ahh screw it, lets just make X amount of pairs of this shoe and watch people squirm for them"
If you look at my previous posts I said Adidas were copying the Jordan strategy and that it was lazy.

flipping shoes is universal my dude
yeah i know that. I guess i dont have the same perspective as all you guys cus I'm not a "sneakerhead" just when I see a shoe I like I will buy it, i don't have the same exposure to the "hype" and culture that you guys do

yeah i know that. I guess i dont have the same perspective as all you guys cus I'm not a "sneakerhead" just when I see a shoe I like I will buy it, i don't have the same exposure to the "hype" and culture that you guys do

you just explained to me why you are acting the way you are. and I now see we'll never agree on this whole subject. "hype" on some of these products really does mean alot more to these companies than you seem to understand.

Last edited:
It's about the long gain in profit, not the short profit on one colorway/model

Exactly. Don't get me wrong yes they could put out more numbers and have a balance between profit and hype. But they just wanna build the name. Only way to do they is keep it exclusive. The second too many people have it nobody wants it anymore

Back
Top Bottom