Africans, African Americans, West Indians & Afro-Latinos Vol: Why is there a rift between us?

This reinforces the argument I was trying to make.

You all are more than 4-600 years removed from Africa.

You all have NOTHING in common...like at all. Ya'll look the same...thats it. Just admit it. Realize where you came from, and keep it moving. 

Stop trying to force a square peg into a round hole. 
What does your jamacian family eat?

Cuz we're not da same groups. Duh. & this type of sentiment would've gotten corrected QUICK
When your around respective cultures.
This is why Hispanics/ latinos do our own thing.
And Hispanic DNA is tri racial, black, taino native american, & Spaniard
EQUALLY.
Soy dominicano. Period. Soy hispano period.

That actually changes based on the individual, some what related to ethnicity.

I love how caucasian and asian dudes really can't comment on this thread since they're pretty much rooted in where they come from. :rofl:

:lol: sittin in the wings readin, w/ another tab for ancestry.com open tryna find a link somewhere.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to culture. And to be quite honest, what are the positives to being AA, there aren't really any.

Ignorance is at the root of this issue. With people not understanding that although we all may have the same pigmentation, culturally, we're different. Ninjahood and his fambs get down w/ grindin on each other, some African Americans don't. Some Haitians get down w/ the voodoo, some Jamaicans don't. Cultural differences

thing is The avg Black American as no self pride, EVERY Black person not from the USA has a Superiority complex or heavy sense of nationalism and pride. But in all honesty the only Africans you see on that ego trip stuff are Nigerians, and most west africans dont even like Nigerians, but to Americans they are the official spokespeople for Africa.
I dunno if it's lack of self pride. Pride of self, at least from an African American perspective, isn't really linked to pride of Country. It may be different for other cultures tho.

As far as the rest of your point I completely get it.
laugh.gif

Small circle of real _s.
Oh really? What makes you more "real" than anyone else?

I'm down to help people who look like me because of how they treat people who look like me...not because I feel like i'm linked to the dude culturally or whatever mystic definition you're going to imply. 

Last edited:
See, this is what some people are talking about. Some Africans have that same superiority complex. "We are from the Motherland, so you should look up to us" type of approach when dealing with other people of color. To be honest alot of the Africans I know ALWAYS wanna talk about how "their country" is this and that. They disassociate their culture all to themselves all on their own. Nobody tried to "curve" anybody.

This is why you get that "Hell naw I'm not African" so much.
African Americans have had unique struggles in this country. So you can't expect anyone to feel some kind of way about denying being "African"
Because no one born here at least in the last 60 years has even had the "African" experience.

I dont care how Superior some Africans may act, you should never be offended when someone ask "are you such and such"

Thats disrespectful no matter what, as if that race, cred, nationality is beneath you.

Americans stay saying "ugh I aint no Jamaican Haitian, trinni etc"

boi bye

I dont care how Superior some Africans may act, you should never be offended when someone ask "are you such and such"
Thats disrespectful no matter what, as if that race, cred, nationality is beneath you.
Americans stay saying "ugh I aint no Jamaican Haitian, trinni etc"
boi bye
If you choose to take people denying what they are NOT, as an insult to YOUR culture that is on you.

It's probably all due to your superiority complex anyway.
laugh.gif

Go ahead and ask some of your African friends/relatives if they are or would like to be Haitian, Trini or Dominican

Or even African American for that matter.....Lemme know how it turns out.

Or go ask some of your Trini friends if they are Jamaican.

Or a Filipino if he's Mexican...See where this slippery slope leads to? Just get over it.

Your level of "offense" is just a red flag to the unecessary pedestal you put this issue on.

And yes, Americans will probably continue to say "Hell naw I aint no damb African"

These types of post usually draw some of the most ignorant NTer's who speak of how they feel rather than what is being asked.

To answer the question,it's a number of things that contribute to the rift between descendants of africans but the biggest thing I've seen is Culture.People in America seem to defined themselves by culture more than they do racial identity and background.Then that turns into the "we aren't that,we are this","we don't do that,we do this",when in fact the things that are done culturally by them is so broadly done by descendants of africans slaves that you can go from juneteenth,puerto rico festivals,or caribbean festival and enjoy some of the same rhythmic sounds in music(that drum hasn't changed),the joyful celebration,the foods which might be the same dish,but just with a different name or a slight difference ingredients;plantains are plantains,pig intestines are pig intestines,rice is rice,oxtails are oxtails,stew is still stew,remember most were things Master and the Overseer didn't want or it had very little value to them but it was a meal to us.
It does go beyond cultural,the fact that descendants of Africans had to fight for our liberation from the shores of America all the way to Africa,that to me alone should united us in some form or fashion.But as you can see some have their own way of thinking,their own opinions which sometimes I like to call it the Hitler-mentality because its a thinking that is sometimes so deeply rooted that they don't even know why they think the way they think and feel the way they feel.History is good to know in general,but it can also hinder things;Like for example Haiti and the Dominican republic,if you know the history than you know.

Curious...why is the issue of white supremacy always downplayed on here in threads like these?
I think some ppl chose not to mention it cuz it'd lead to the inevitable race arguments. The clear agenda to fracture the black community is apparent in American history. In regards to this question I'd think that plays a part along with the other two nationalities named egos being the other parts.

I think most posters are not trying to entertain the ignorant members who say racism doesn't exist, white privilege isn't real, etc.

Last edited:
If you choose to take people denying what they are NOT, as an insult to YOUR culture that is on you.
It's probably all due to your superiority complex anyway. :lol:
Go ahead and ask some of your African friends/relatives if they are or would like to be Haitian, Trini or Dominican

Or even African American for that matter.....Lemme know how it turns out.
Or go ask some of your Trini friends if they are Jamaican.
Or a Filipino if he's Mexican...See where this slippery slope leads to? Just get over it.
Your level of "offense" is just a red flag to the unecessary pedestal you put this issue on

And yes, Americans will probably continue to say "Hell naw I aint no damb African"

You sound upset.

My relatives are intelligent people they will simply say "naw Im not" aint no beef on our end.
We were all human so I dont take offense at being mistaken for any nationality, race....

If you ask me if I was white, Asian, Indian........, I would reply no with a smile, Its not that serious.
And Im over it, but its still offensive.

oh and Im am Haitian African American
See how I said that I didnt say "I aint no damb African"

"divide and conquer" thats all this really is

YOLO and kanye shrugs have basically excused peoples rudeness.

Last edited:
I love the Nas and Damian album...but how does that any consistency to your argument? 
roll.gif

I'm just confused right now.

Are you just throwing pan-african anything on the wall to see what sticks? 

This response is a part of the problem I have with black identity.

Black people ARE NOT THE SAME. They're not.

They never were.

They never will be.

The only reason black people feel the need to come together is to overcome racism...not that they have anything in common. 

Having a bit of melanin doesn't make me share anything with you more than skin color.

Black people, especially in the new world, don't really have much of a sense of ethnicity or unique culture that their "less melanated" counterparts do so we try to feign sincerity in each other where there is none.

The most important thing, IMO, for black people to do is to recognize that the ONLY thing we share is oppression...beyond that, we are all different.

We should recognize a common struggle, not a common history...because frankly we don't have a common history. 

smh OP, change your title to 'Da Dominicans' and you'd have 10 more pages and FUTUREMD would have said the exact opposite

Alright I'm randomly sitting in my room today and I was wondering what causes this rift between these three groups? I mean, aren't we all black? Do we all not face the same problems at the end of the day when it comes to things such as unfair treatment and so on? Where did the ignorance come from? As someone who is pretty much caught between groups (Parents are from St. Kitts, I'm a first generation American) I would like to hear some insight on your thoughts.

I'm also a first generation American, my parents are from Sudan. Ill answer both of your questions

First off the rift that I noticed comes from wanting to not be associated with Black Americans. Black Americans are mostly known for two things in other countries, sports and crime. For Sudan at least, you can thank shows like Cops and music videos from the late 1990's on for putting that image in their heads. The immigrants don't want to be lumped into the same group they think are all poor and criminals. Their is a specific word in Arabic that differentiates African Americans from other blacks. "Aswad" means black and is usually attributed with black people. However the word "zunooj" is a word that specifically is attributed to African Americans and is roughly the equivalent of the n-word in English. When a guy in Sudan acts up, they tell him to stop acting like a "zunji".

And no, we all are not all black. Someone from the Dominican Republic likely has European and Native Indian roots as well as African, while people from Sudan (in the North at least) tend to be a mix of native tribes and Arabs. Me and someone from DR likely have nothing in common except our skin color and love of platanos

Back
Top Bottom