Air Jordan 5 Retro 'Fire Red' 2013 Vol: No 23

The only thing I like better about the CDP's is the insole. I also think this is the nicest Jordan box (general release) since 2000 or 2001 (I've never had boxes older than that). Definitely sturdier than the 3 and 4 boxes from the last few years. My pair was perfect and I thought well made. JMO

this was in reply to stevesteve72

"To the people that have these and the CDP's which one is better ?"

Last edited:
Def remember getting free replacement shoes from Nike if there was quality issues. People used to stick pins in they're air bubbles and get free pairs, lol. Idk about JB being the "Benz" of shoes tho.

Nike still do free replacements...last time I used it was late Nov 2012. If they don't have the shoe, they give a product voucher.

they dont do replacement shoes, its been like this for years. all you get is a voucher.

The only thing I like better about the CDP's is the insole. I also think this is the nicest Jordan box (general release) since 2000 or 2001 (I've never had boxes older than that). Definitely sturdier than the 3 and 4 boxes from the last few years. My pair was perfect and I thought well made. JMO

this was in reply to stevesteve72
"To the people that have these and the CDP's which one is better ?"

Is the quality pretty much the same?

still cant find a sz 13 smh
must not be looking too hard
mean.gif

Last edited:
No I understood the analogy. Problem with that logic is that you can still find and drive an 80s Mercedes. You cannot however, find a wearable OG air jordan from the 80s. Other than the 1s

Last edited:
No I understood the analogy. Problem with that logic is that you can still find and drive an 80s Mercedes. You cannot however, find a wearable OG air jordan from the 80s. Other than the 1s

....okay, you understood the analogy but are splitting hairs.

I just checked my Nike "Primetime" deion sanders from last year, the white leather they used on those was perfect.. no excuses
mean.gif
You're gunna tell me they can use higher quality white leather on that for $119 but for $160 we get this pleather!?

Last edited:
I just checked my Nike "Primetime" deion sanders from last year, the white leather they used on those was perfect.. no excuses
mean.gif
You're gunna tell me they can use higher quality white leather on that for $119 but for $160 we get this pleather!?
please tell me what nike shoe they called prime time... i know deion nickname was primetime none of his shoes or the nicknames were and i know deion but yea i get ur point just pointing out the flaw in your comment 

please tell me what nike shoe they called prime time... i know deion nickname was primetime none of his shoes or the nicknames were and i know deion but yea i get ur point just pointing out the flaw in your comment 
I wasn't referring to the shoe being named that, rather the athlete it was named after. But regardless, look at my pics above. For $119 I bought those shoes that had better leather than these for $160 (in 2012). So all the arguments about the cost of leather, shipping, etc.. why can they do it on those shoes and get it done right?

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to the shoe being named that, rather the athlete it was named after. But regardless, look at my pics above. For $119 I bought those shoes that had better leather than these for $160 (in 2012). So all the arguments about the cost of leather, shipping, etc.. why can they do it on those shoes and get it done right?
i agree and sorry the picture didnt load when i wrote that. 

Last edited:
I think the quality on the new release is better. I've only had a few CDP's, and the 5's and 2's are unbelievably bad IMO. The 13's, on the other hand, are pretty nice. Go figure...

:lol: Yeah the II's are pretty bad. I asked because i passed on the new V's because i have two pairs of CDP's, and i thought the quality on them
was OK. but maybe i should have sold the DS pair of CDP's a copped these, oh well ill just have to be happy with the CDP's. thanks for your reply.

That just adds to the theory that JB was hearing complaints about previous retros and decided to come with a stiffer LEATHER on this release. Go back a couple of pages and you'll see the references to this material as a poly coated thin leather. JB is more concerned with maximizing every dime with retro releases, especially on a release with not so much hype. 

Your "PrimeTimes" 
laugh.gif
 probably have a similar grain of leather but it lacks the poly coating which makes these V's much stiffer and "pleather-like". So what you're actually feeling is probably a lack of certain materials used in one production, that is non existent on the other.

All in all, comparing retros from Nike to JB, probably isn't the best idea. Same company, true, but they are almost completely different entities within themselves allowing for differing manufacturing processes..... Not to mention that they're totally different sneaker models also.

I'm almost 30 and at no time do I remember Jordans being the "Mercedes Benz" of sneakers as far as quality goes. I had issues with numerous OG pairs when it came to actually wearing them for basketball. Usually poor glues and horrible midsole separation, toe box coming apart, etc. During normal basketball seasons they would often fall apart before other Nike shoes my teammates would be wearing.

There's certain aspects of the materials that were surely better than anything today and there's no denying that, but I don't ball in retros very much at all, so I have no complaints about the longevity of most of the retros I own, past or present. People who want to rewrite history can do so, but Jordans were well known for being overpriced and overhyped even during the 90's. It was style over substance for a lot of people. Bottom line is that Jordans were never the highest quality basketball shoe on the market. The most unique and eye catching for sure, but dudes praising OG quality now is kind of comical to someone like me who never bought them expecting the most premium materials or unsurpassed longevity.

Last edited:
im 34 and cosign this.

ive never agreed with the economic and marketing types trying to justfy poor quality and materials.

matter of fact i loathe the mind that that cant think outside the box thinking this is the ONLY way it can be.

on paper it makes all the sense in the world to continue to cheap out on your customers to maximize profits but not all compnies work that way. in fact many companies become successful doing just the opposite. (Amazon, Zappos, etc.)

...to the guy laughing at Nike/Jordan's being the Benz of shoes must not have been around at the time because that statement was nothing but the truth. it may not be now, but it once was.

typically though, i dont complain to often about materials and quality. it has to be pretty bad, like the Flu Games

Rookies should take notes from this. Very well said.

Compare these to quai54 v's. look at the leather and the padded collar. These will then make you cry and throw up at the same time.

I was briefly tempted by these but then I held it in the store .... He'll naw. Same reason I passes on those iv's I so wanted last year.
Any tips on keeping these clean?

These? I dunno, sandblaster maybe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom