All Things Sports Media Thread!!

Criticizing Deadspin is like criticizing Jon Stewart or Colbert... they're not supposed to be objective or taken 100% seriously all the time. Their job is to poke fun at sports, ESPN, athletes, etc. They're capable of solid reporting, insightful articles, etc., but still.
Yeah some of ya'll are taking Deadspin too serious in here 
laugh.gif

Did you hear him?

The guy sounded like a clueless little kid. He sounded legitimately upset too like it brought back memories

You don't know anybody whose humor is as dry as his then, which is probably a good thing. He knows what it means, he just thinks it's funny to cheapen it by pointing out 'suck' should be followed by something, because it's instructional. He knows it's figurative, which is why his joke is that the phrase, in a literal sense, hasn't provided all of the instructions.

His tone is making you think that he's actually clueless, but there's no chance he wasn't making a 'joke'.

Last edited:
Le Batard is so good on the radio that stugotz persona works but it's mostly a testament to his chemistry with Le Batard

Last edited:
Everybody knows a stugotz , been riding with that radio show since 2008 , I hope the cameras and TV production don't mess up the show
Stugotz's laugh and flem getting me dying every time at my desk at work.

The NCAA bracket where they did what a certain person looks like with Bob Ley was pure gold
roll.gif

Everybody knows a stugotz , been riding with that radio show since 2008 , I hope the cameras and TV production don't mess up the show

Stugotz's laugh and flem getting me dying every time at my desk at work.

The NCAA bracket where they did what a certain person looks like with Bob Ley was pure gold :rofl:

Brad Stevens looks like a guy who you have to beat in boat race so his father doesn't take over your company :rofl:

The P. J. Carlesimo one>

Last edited:
Brad Stevens looks like a guy who you have to beat in boat race so his father doesn't take over your company :rofl:

The P. J. Carlesimo one>
I think he said he looks like someone you have to beat in a sail competition to keep him from building a country club on your family's land
:rofl:

After this clips/rockets game 6.. It made me genuinely sad that the game was on ESPN..

Then I thought about it.. ESPN really should have went with a studio group of: Simmons, zach Lowe, jalen and beadle

Basically give it over to grantland.. And they could bring in other NBA contributors from the site and espn

Last edited:

Criticizing Deadspin is like criticizing Jon Stewart or Colbert... they're not supposed to be objective or taken 100% seriously all the time. Their job is to poke fun at sports, ESPN, athletes, etc. They're capable of solid reporting, insightful articles, etc., but still.

It's hard to pull off both of those things and expect people to treat them like they're on an equal playing field though. Their writing, even in their 'serious' or investigative reports, is slanted toward their agenda always.

Last edited:
Deadspin was at it's worst during the lead up and aftermath following the Mayweather/Pac' fight. Calling Mayweather a COWARD for boxing reasons. C'mon now :smh: Trust me, I get the Mayweather slander for his transgressions out of the ring, but you got columnists on DS going in on how he boxes for no other reason that they dislike the man.

That was Drew Magary. One writer. And if you listened to the Deadcast, the editor in chief offered a solid rebuttal.

They were going in on Mayweather all week. The coward article was one writer, but one writer had nothing to do with the countless other articles about him leading up to the fight and afterwards.

It's hard to pull off both of those things and expect people to treat them like they're on an equal playing field though. Their writing, even in their 'serious' or investigative reports, is slanted toward their agenda always.

And that makes them different other media outlets how?

They were going in on Mayweather all week. The coward article was one writer, but one writer had nothing to do with the countless other articles about him leading up to the fight and afterwards.

They've been going after Mayweather for a long time. Their coverage the week leading up to the fight was a rehash of everything they've written in the past.

There's variations and degrees to which Deadspin coats its writing in that more than others.

Well, their tag line is "Sports News without Access, Favor, or Discretion". Not sure what people expect out of them. They have opinionated writing. Some of it is good writing, some of it is bad. Simply disagreeing with them doesn't automatically make it bad.

Bill Simmons Will Get Paycheck but No Role at ESPN Through September

The official end of the Bill Simmons era at ESPN came Friday: He will be paid through the end of September, when his contract expires, but he will no longer run the Grantland website or do any other work for the company.

Sports Illustrated first reported that Simmons and ESPN had come to an agreement, and it was confirmed by a person who was familiar with its terms but not authorized to speak publicly.

Simmons’s departure from ESPN went public last Friday when John Skipper, the president of ESPN, abruptly announced that he had decided that he would not renew Simmons’s contract. Simmons has offered no comment on the situation, posting nothing on his Twitter account, which has 3.75 million followers, since last Friday except links to three New England Patriots Super Bowl videos and a one-word message: “Truth.”

And he had no immediate comment on the agreement Friday, although he has been sending farewell notes to Grantland staff members.

ESPN must now replace Simmons at Grantland, the sports, entertainment and culture website where he has been the editor in chief and a prolific lead columnist. The site was built around Simmons, so ESPN must now decide whether to pick one of its stars to be its leader or to hire a new lead columnist while keeping the current editorial leadership in place.

In describing his decision to end ESPN’s relationship with Simmons last week, Skipper said: “It’s about what he wants to do, what value that creates, what we want to do together and deciding whether there was going to be a match. We decided ultimately there wouldn’t be.”

Simmons was also an executive producer of ESPN’s “30 for 30” documentary series.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/s...t-espn-through-september.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Damn, four months. :\

tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

pretty dedicated to his pods and knowing I won't get one until September at the earliest is pretty god damn depressing 

Back
Top Bottom