Allen Iverson to officially retire from the NBA, vol. HWhat?

AI got my pops watching the game again. After Jordan retired there really wasn't a player who could captivate like AI imo. 

My pops passed away in 02, but I'll never forget watching AI's playoff run in 01 with my pops, just sitting around discussing the game. Good memories. 

LOL.  To be an ICON champ, you have to be an original......a 1 of 1.  With that being said, that takes Kobe right out of the equation.  He's nothing more than a wanna-be, everyone should know that.  Both Lebron and Durant are great, or are on their way to being truly great, but most people don't have a real deep connection to either outside of the basketball court.  That's what happens when your icon status.  As for the legends that you listed, I'm not going to argue or debate about them as they are legend status, but I will say that legend status does not equate to icon status.......which is what A.I. is/was.  Any and everybody wanted to be A.I.   
People think MJ is a douche outside of the court, how did people form a deep connection with him outside of the arena? He is an icon because of his basketball skills. Lets not try to redefine the word icon now. Kobe is an Icon, maybe not to you but to plenty of people here and abroad. A way bigger icon than AI ever was. Dude is a god in China. I don't understand it but grown men where crying seeing this man.
laugh.gif
We know you don't like the guy but be reasonable.
The nerve of you to post that nonsense about Kobe being an icon as you sit there and type that with an avy of Bob Marley by your side.  How dare you sir...............how dare you.  Just to clarify for any and everybody out there, a true icon is original.......meaning none before.  Kobe is NO icon, he's a replica, a wanna-be, a cheap imitation.............for these generations.  Again, that takes Kobe right out of the icon equation.  Also, it's good that Kobe has a large market share in places like China and other territories but here in America we know better and treat Kobe as such.  Just like the rapper 50 Cent is still big in China, because they don't know any better but here in the States he's been reduced to irrelevance.  Get the picture champ.

very good point about the change in times. its been said alot, imagine if there was twitter and ig even in mj's days. would he post what he was wearing like kd and lbj sometimes do ? :smile: jordan would have had even less time to himself , woulda been ridic

man if there was social media in wilts day i got a feelin most of it if not all woulda been on that rated x tip, sans the 100 pt game. instead of what kicks im wearin today, sir chamberlain prob woulda posted what im *****1n todai

is SHAQ an icon ??????

BIRD ???????

jus wonderin

Larry Bird is for sure.

And I agree the time you are around is as much as factor as the person/player you are. Michael and these guys if they started today would exist in the same reality Lebron and these guys do. Today the national media and ESPN are there to break down every play you are involved in and tear you apart .....24 hours a day. They (media) make their money when half the country loves a player and the other half hates the player. They act accordingly.

MJ and Nike had a major stake in how big of an icon he was/is. But the decades he played in also played a huge part -- It allowed the entire world to love him. Today the entire world is not allowed to love a player like that so you start in the hole.

I can't deny the impact he had on the league and people in general but he's the reason he had to retire. I can't feel sorry for him. If he shut up and stopped complaining, we wouldn't have this conversation.

The practice rant is the GOAT post-game interview ever :pimp:

Dudes saying Durant is an icon and Iverson isnt must be like 17 :lol: ...****** in the league still wearing sleeves and all that to this day cuz of him, and thats just 1 of many examples

The nerve of you to post that nonsense about Kobe being an icon as you sit there and type that with an avy of Bob Marley by your side.  How dare you sir...............how dare you.  Just to clarify for any and everybody out there, a true icon is original.......meaning none before.  Kobe is NO icon, he's a replica, a wanna-be, a cheap imitation.............for these generations.  Again, that takes Kobe right out of the icon equation.  Also, it's good that Kobe has a large market share in places like China and other territories but here in America we know better and treat Kobe as such.  Just like the rapper 50 Cent is still big in China, because they don't know any better but here in the States he's been reduced to irrelevance.  Get the picture champ.

:lol: you deal with emotions differently man. What has Kobe done to you? What does me having Bob as my avy have anything to do with this?

The definition of an icon is not your little diatribe of what you think Kobe isn't. Here is the webster definition which I am sure you are going to say you don't give a damn about to justify your stance. http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/icon

You literally make no sense when you say Kobe is not an icon. Notice I never denied Iverson being an icon because I looked up to homie too. I saw Iverson at 6 flags and nobody gave a damn except for a few. Kobe was downtown at Gallery place and dude was mobbed by all sorts of people. Rachet hood rats, corporate people.....it was a scene. All this garbage about him being an imitation and replica is all the emotions you have about Kobe. Let it go. People know him by one name across the world. If you watched the Olympics and he touched the ball, the crowds got loud and they went crazy every time he scored.

Taking away my dislike for AI, he's a Icon because of his off court stuff alone ( cornrows, tats, dress code, etc.)
Ahhhhh... But on the court, a argument can be made that he possibly couldn't go
BUT let's be honest, AI is going to the hall of fame guys
Compared to a couple people in the Hall now, he's def going unless they make the qualifications harder to enter

But to say Kobe is not a icon is INSANE.... He's a global icon...

Last edited:

laugh.gif
you deal with emotions differently man. What has Kobe done to you? What does me having Bob as my avy have anything to do with this?

The definition of an icon is not your little diatribe of what you think Kobe isn't. Here is the webster definition which I am sure you are going to say you don't give a damn about to justify your stance. http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/icon

You literally make no sense when you say Kobe is not an icon. Notice I never denied Iverson being an icon because I looked up to homie too. I saw Iverson at 6 flags and nobody gave a damn except for a few. Kobe was downtown at Gallery place and dude was mobbed by all sorts of people. Rachet hood rats, corporate people.....it was a scene. All this garbage about him being an imitation and replica is all the emotions you have about Kobe. Let it go. People know him by one name across the world. If you watched the Olympics and he touched the ball, the crowds got loud and they went crazy every time he scored.
I brought up the point of you having Bob Marley as your avy because I thought you have a good idea of everything that Bob Marley is/was, with one of them being that he is an icon.  So I thought you of all people would know what an icon is and represents, but I see clear as day that's not the case with you.  For the time being, I'm going to kindly ask that you pull Bob Marley down as your avy until you have a better idea of what an icon is as I feel that you are misrepresenting the image of Bob Marley. 

Now, moving on to more pressing matters........in regards to Kobe you seem to be getting the definition of famous and icon confused or mixed up.  Just to clarify, here in America Kobe is famous, not an icon.  In China Kobe might very well be an icon and I'm not going to dispute that.  Just like I said though, over in China they are still playing 50 Cent where as here in America 50 is pretty irrelevant.  Other seas countries don't really represent or have a true understanding of our culture here in America, especially to identify or know who is hot or who is not.  I respect the fact that Kobe has opened up a global market for himself, that's great as he is expanding.  Thanks for providing the links to that definition champ, but I feel as though one good turns deserves another so I provided you the links to a few definitions as it pertains to Kobe.......

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/imitation?s=t

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fraud?s=t

To bring everything full circle, Kobe is a legend.......A.I. is a legend, difference is, is that A.I. is an icon as well.

^ Yeah, you dead wrong on this one. You letting your bias get in the way, Kobe and A.I are both icons. Kobe is a global icon, whether you like him or not that's just a fact. So is Lebron, Shaq, and you can probably put KG in that group too.

Last edited:
I am misrepresenting Bob Marley now? Because I don't agree with your definition of what an icon is? :lol: thats illogical bro and you have no authority of who I have as my avy. Lol

And here we go with the misdirection arguments. Fraud and imitation? Those words have nothing to do with the definition of icon. They are feelings you have towards Kobe. Probably the same way i think elvis is a fraud and imitation but i can still acknowledge he is an icon to a lot of people.

I've never met a Warriors fan that's had anything good to say about Kobe :lol: Some of them hate him more than Celtics fans

I've never met a Warriors fan that's had anything good to say about Kobe
laugh.gif
Some of them hate him more than Celtics fans
It's funny you say that, because what you say you have never met, describes me perfectly.  I LOVE me some Kobe.  But I absolutely despise the Lakers.  Hate them.  With a passion.  This general belief I just described can be displayed by my Kobe jerseys.  2 ASG jerseys and a USA one. 
laugh.gif

Why you hate the Lakers? :lol:

Without them there would be no team to represent California over the years.

4 teams in Cali and only 1 was successful in a period of 20+ years.

I think a lot of hate has to do with jealousy of the Lakers success over the years.

AI is going to the Hof.

I just cant wait to see what kind of baggy suit he's going to wear at the speech ceremony.

I've never met a Warriors fan that's had anything good to say about Kobe :lol: Some of them hate him more than Celtics fans
It's funny you say that, because what you say you have never met, describes me perfectly.  I LOVE me some Kobe.  But I absolutely despise the Lakers.  Hate them.  With a passion.  This general belief I just described can be displayed by my Kobe jerseys.  2 ASG jerseys and a USA one.  :lol:

Right on man :pimp: I get so much **** out here :lol:

Back
Top Bottom