Alpha Project Appreciation

Am I the only one that wishes Nike would retro some of the old Alpha Project shoes from the late 90's early 00's. After the sig shoes of the mid/late90's, this was all Nike really had going for them. Shoes like Prestos, Air Zoom Seismics, and Tuned Air Max's were all insanely comfortable and lookedpretty sharp. The basketball line was nice too with the KG's and GP's.

Alpha Project was awesome back then.

When I think of Nike Basketball shoes in the late 90s, Alpha Project always comes to mind first.

Alpha Project kix were off the hook. What exactly was the whole concept behind the AP? I can identify em by the 5 dots, lol, but that's about it.

I believe the concept was to create shoes specifically for certain athletes or activities, as opposed to shoes intended for a multitude of activities. Idon't know how that really differs from the concept of other high performance athletic shoes, but whatever.

Alpha Project was originally desogned for the upper-echelon athlete, such as GP, Terrel Davis (Broncos), and the Vis-Zoom for the upper-end basketball players.It was like saying"Normal players wear our regular Nike's. If you are a special talent, you wear Alpha Project." It also was used for the mostcutting-edge,push-the-limit technology (monkey paw,vis-zoom,shox,ratchet system) and designs.

Vis Zoom *****

grails

i wish i could get em back. SMH @ me effing em up back then.
ohwell.gif

these:
830119011.jpg

in a size 10 DS = grails
I won't say i'd retire, but man, I would be close.
I should have bought multiple pairs when I could.

-J-

damn you up there!!!! ^^^^^
mad.gif

and damn you even more if they are a size 10....
mad.gif
laugh.gif

i dont know what alpha project you are talkin about werent they air max like fantaposites?

They had those Vis Zoom basketball shoes in soo many colorways back when. I remember somebody on the Heat having a nice Black/Red pair.

Loved the Zoom Seismics. So long since i had them, i can't remember if they had Alpha Project markings or not, but the Big Flyer and Tuned Force wereexcellent hoops shoes.

Doesn't look like Tuned Air will ever return though - far as i can remember, it was comparatively expensive to make, and i think Nike don't even ownthe patent for it.

Can't get the Zoom Citizen add out of my head.

AIR FANTAPOSITE MAX
AIR FANTAPOSITE MAX
AIR FANTAPOSITE MAX
AIR FANTAPOSITE MAX
AIR FANTAPOSITE MAX

These are the greatest foams ever next to the Foamposite One (IMO of course).

2 down, 3 to go! DS Size 13!

Also, even though Kicksology slayed them in its review, the Hyper Flight 1 is another personal favorite. That shoe is one of the most original designs I'veseen in the past 7 years. Forget Steve Nash, #55 ruled the Earth back then with these. If only the man could play defense...

GOTDAMN YOU HUBIE BROWN!!!

Some people want big Jordan collections...I really want to collect like ALL of the alphaproject shoes. I'm not sure if they're officially alphaproject,but my 2k3s, Shox Stunners, Ultraflights and Griffey VIIIs all have the markings. Nike still uses the 5 dot markings on some stuff but i don't exactlyunderstand the current criteria. I thought it was like just their more premium stuff, like the STATs and 2k4s and 2k5s, but Nike put them on the windmills. Ifanyone knows I'd be extremely interested in knowing why they keep them other than that its a cool design cue.

A list and pics of all the shoes with the markings on it would be sweet as well...

If Nike brought back the Presto's, especially the original colorways, I would be set for a while.

I have the Vis Zooms in like a sz 6.5 somewhere around the house in the white/black/graphite colorway, unless my mom threw them away. They're beat to deaththough (obviously) I wouldn't mind getting another pair, do they go for a lot?

^^^
LOL!

Revolutions dropped in the 80's. Even though the retros came in the alpha shoe boxes, they have NOTHING to do with the Alpha Project Line.

i remember da da from next friday rocking those maxs lol. i got this cookie with no plastic you cant get it to easier. she sell dope do hair and babysit policedont know when to kick in the door.

I had been thinking about making this post for the longest, but held back because I didn't think that many people had as great of an apperication for AlphaProject as I do. It's great to see I was wrong.

Am I the only one that wishes Nike would retro some of the old Alpha Project shoes from the late 90's early 00's. After the sig shoes of the mid/late 90's, this was all Nike really had going for them. Shoes like Prestos, Air Zoom Seismics, and Tuned Air Max's were all insanely comfortable and looked pretty sharp. The basketball line was nice too with the KG's and GP's.
Technically they have. Flightposites were part of Alpha Project. If you notice they have the 5 dots (signifying Alpha Project) on the heel tab.

Nike Air Zoom GPs in the white/black colorway and Nike Vis Zoom Uptempos in the black/white/blue colorway are two of my favorite basketball sneakers of alltime (and luckily I owned both pairs). I would love to see well done retros of both, but that seems to be to much to ask from Nike nowadays.

Does anyone remember the Zoom GP commercial with Gary Payton as a mad scientist that helped launch Alpha Project? I've got to see if I can find it onyoutube. When those dropped they looked like no basketball sneaker anyone had ever seen before. They were truly groundbreaking. I miss those days.

I remembered the ad differently, but here is an ad connected to the one I remember. I swear they had a short one where you didn't really see the sneakers,but this will do for now.

GP Alpha Project Video

They also have the rest of the Alpha Project videos on the website. I forgot they were directed by Michael Bay. Crazy.

Back
Top Bottom