Any Accounting majors/accountants on NT?

There's no OT

Smaller firms entice people by actually giving them OT. My friend works in a top 30 firm and he gets salary and during busy season get $32 per hour for every hour after 40 and like $45 for every hour after 60 every week. It's the big firms that just pay salary + bonus.

And sure there isn't OT, but you're doing it for future leverage. After 5-6 years in Public I can go private and work ~50 hours per week and get paid 120-180k.

Last edited:

That **** is insane. Like what's the point? They're just burning them into the ground and they won't be efficient while working. Only good thing that comes out of that is the overtime pay 
laugh.gif

No such thing as OT in finance (front office) or Big 4 accounting. You work hard early on to reap the benefits later on.

My homie is pulling ridiculous hours at E&Y and getting paid nothing in comparison to my other homie doing banking ($85k salary + 45k bonus last year).

Last edited:
There's no OT
No such thing as OT in finance (front office) or Big 4 accounting. You work hard early on to reap the benefits later on.

My homie is pulling ridiculous hours at E&Y and getting paid nothing in comparison to my other homie doing banking ($85k salary + 45k bonus last year).
Oh...did not know that. Was thinking about interns cause they get paid 1.5x their hourly wage for OT, from what I've heard from some employees.

45k bonus?! Goodness 
sick.gif

Last edited:
*>>>>>>>Consulting. Got into this job about a year and a half ago as a way to learn accounting since I didn't really focus on any particular subject in college. The accounting itself isn't that difficult, but dealing with unappreciative clients that expect you to do EVERYTHING for them while juggling other clients with the same expectations :smh:

My coworker that came onto this client to take payroll and A/P off my hands to let me focus on the GL . Paid terminated employees paychecks for a month after termination, hasn't processed 80% of the A/P for the past month, and now my firm is losing the client. I got blamed for everything cause it was "my account" and should've made sure it was perfect (while working 20-30 hours a week helping the company with an acquisition on top of the other 20+ hours I put in for my other clients :rolleyes ). Got told by my boss that I didn't get fired only cause everyone at our firm likes me :smh:

What's baffling to me is that my coworker barely got any of the heat because he's busy with an audit for another client :x

Any other consultants out here? Don't really see any other option besides sticking with it for a while since I have no experience in anything else :smh: I'm planning on getting my CPA so hopefully that will open up different doors...

Last edited:
^^That really doesn't sound like a good situation/fit for you IMO. Good luck homie.

But yeah recruiting season is coming up and the the BIG 4 hits my school heavy. It really seems like you don't even have to try to at least get an interview.

I was gonna give them all a shot and hit up the local CPA firms like I mentioned. It really does seem like the BIG 4 is the best stepping stone out there but man it is scary to to think about.

I want to get out of this state after my MACC and CPA and a BIG 4 looks like the way to do so. We will see. Been working hard and now all of a sudden I am knocking on that door and just think about these decisions :smh:

Smaller firms entice people by actually giving them OT. My friend works in a top 30 firm and he gets salary and during busy season get $32 per hour for every hour after 40 and like $45 for every hour after 60 every week. It's the big firms that just pay salary + bonus.

And sure there isn't OT, but you're doing it for future leverage. After 5-6 years in Public I can go private and work ~50 hours per week and get paid 120-180k.

Right, I know as I've worked for national firms and the Big 4. I was responding to the point about OT at the Big 4, to which interns are the only ones who get it.

I'm starting out in an FI tax group initially. But I've been debating about moving into transfer pricing. I know that during the non peak seasons they said I can branch out and do something else. Transfer pricing is big and will only get better going forward I feel. Anyone have any experience in it by any chance?

Just got a Deloitte Offer for Spring Audit Internship. I didn't realize there was a signing bonus for an internship 
pimp.gif
. Anyone work for Deloitte? How do you like it?

Just got a Deloitte Offer for Spring Audit Internship. I didn't realize there was a signing bonus for an internship :pimp: . Anyone work for Deloitte? How do you like it?

Damn that is super early. I haven't heard of internships being offered that early, but congrats!

I have some friends at Deloitte and like it while others are planning to leave. As an intern you won't really be expected to know as much as an employee. They try to Entice you as an intern by having events, info sessions, lunches, and the like to try to get you to sign the offer letter. :lol: it's a different animal once you are billable and have expectations to fulfill.

Enjoy your internship though, you'll make lots of money working during a busy season. Just realize that work as an associate is going to be different as expectations are raised substantially.

So it turns out I have officially gotten offers from EY, Deloitte, and KPMG for Audit Spring 2016 internship. Any advise from anyone that has experience with any of them? I don't know which one I should choose. They all have their own personalities, but I like all of them.

Quick question:

Got an offer today for a position. Im a finance major graduating in 2 weeks but the position is more accounting work for a f500

They offered me 53.5k annually. Eligible for overtime. This is in nj/ny btw. Is that a good offer for a private accounting role? I would have to drive to jersey a few days and I live in nyc. I'm thinking of asking for a bit more due to that or am I reaching?

^^ doesn't seem bad depending on how much OT you'll get. I'm starting at 57k without OT at Big4.

Question for those starting at Big4 in fall 2015. Have any of you gotten your start dates yet? I've asked my recruiter and all she said was "soon" two weeks ago.

Quick question:

Got an offer today for a position. Im a finance major graduating in 2 weeks but the position is more accounting work for a f500

They offered me 53.5k annually. Eligible for overtime. This is in nj/ny btw. Is that a good offer for a private accounting role? I would have to drive to jersey a few days and I live in nyc. I'm thinking of asking for a bit more due to that or am I reaching?
53.5? You ain't Frank Lucas b.

But on a serious note, that overtime is a game changer. Try to see how much OT people have gotten in that role.

^^ doesn't seem bad depending on how much OT you'll get. I'm starting at 57k without OT at Big4.

Question for those starting at Big4 in fall 2015. Have any of you gotten your start dates yet? I've asked my recruiter and all she said was "soon" two weeks ago.
I got mine right after New Years.

Anyone finish an accounting degree online? Ant recommendations?

I'm going to be accepting a job and probation is almost 2 years so might not be able to do school... Schedule is different every week from what I was told

Online schools are a joke dude! Don't do it! High paying employees frown upon it.

I've never been on probation but I would think that they would let you go to school. I don't see why they wouldn't make an exception for someone trying to better their life. If not, are legal system is worst than I thought. I would talk to your PO about it.

I'm going to be accepting a job and probation is almost 2 years so might not be able to do school... Schedule is different every week from what I was told

Online schools are a joke dude! Don't do it! High paying employees frown upon it.

I've never been on probation but I would think that they would let you go to school. I don't see why they wouldn't make an exception for someone trying to better their life. If not, are legal system is worst than I thought. I would talk to your PO about it.

I wouldn't do it. While online degrees might be the wave of the future, that future isn't right now. The structure just isn't there, the curriculum is usually much worse, tutoring is BS or nonexistent in case you need that, and if you are job hunting recruiting is nonexistent.

And like others said, employers don't respect online degrees in their current state.

there was a dude in here, modernderwin (?), who did his master online and i think he has an offer from an audit firm

Back
Top Bottom