Any Accounting majors/accountants on NT?

2nd year audit associate at PwC checking in. I'm currently going through my second busy season with the firm, and man.... its hard waking up and not thinking about quitting this job. I just passed all my CPA exams, and I have been with the company exactly 1 year now (started January 2014 and everyone moves to the next level in July). The problem with being at PwC is that you need 3 years of being an associate before they promote you to Senior. Been thinking about leaving and seeking opportunities in industry once I officially register and get my license. I really don't mind accounting, but its just the pressure and stress that comes with a big 4 that has me wanting out. I think with a CPA and 2 busy seasons under my belt, I would be in a decent spot. You guys think its possible to get a $75K salary job if I leave in a couple months? I work in San Francisco if that matters.

2nd year audit associate at PwC checking in. I'm currently going through my second busy season with the firm, and man.... its hard waking up and not thinking about quitting this job. I just passed all my CPA exams, and I have been with the company exactly 1 year now (started January 2014 and everyone moves to the next level in July). The problem with being at PwC is that you need 3 years of being an associate before they promote you to Senior. Been thinking about leaving and seeking opportunities in industry once I officially register and get my license. I really don't mind accounting, but its just the pressure and stress that comes with a big 4 that has me wanting out. I think with a CPA and 2 busy seasons under my belt, I would be in a decent spot. You guys think its possible to get a $75K salary job if I leave in a couple months? I work in San Francisco if that matters.

What industry do you mostly serve currently in PwC?

I assume you're in Embarcadero center or on the road a lot?

I'm in the Consumer Industrial Products and Services industry, more specifically retail & consumer but I worked on other clients like hospitals, engineering & construction, etc. Yeah theres a lot of travelling around the bay which is less than ideal as I would prefer to stay in SF. There were engagements where I would spend 3-4 hours driving to and from the client on a daily basis.

I'm in the Consumer Industrial Products and Services industry, more specifically retail & consumer but I worked on other clients like hospitals, engineering & construction, etc. Yeah theres a lot of travelling around the bay which is less than ideal as I would prefer to stay in SF. There were engagements where I would spend 3-4 hours driving to and from the client on a daily basis.

i'm pretty sure i know who you are.

laugh.gif
 this would be the last place i thought i'd run into a co-worker

Just wanted to give some advice for those taking the CPA exam now or in the future.

If you're not one of the fortunate people that were able to pass all 4 parts on the first attempt (like myself
laugh.gif
) don't get discouraged.

The CPA exam is not easy, it will try your patience. Believe me, I'm speaking from experience.

Took me a couple of years to complete it. I remember checking my e-mail constantly waiting for the score report of my last section, only to get hit with that 74 when I finally got it.
sick.gif
mean.gif
That happened to me more than once.

I even had to take sections I previously passed over because they expired.
ohwell.gif
As tough as that was for me I kept at it, and finally finished the exam in early 2013.

When I opened the score report and saw that I finally got my last section I was like

Man the feels were overflowing that day.
laugh.gif

As long as you put in the effort and keep committed you'll eventually pass the exam. Hopefully it won't take you as to do as it took me.
mean.gif
laugh.gif

I got more 74s than Ill share but I know the feeling. Finally passing was that much more rewarding. Copped my watch with the bonus. :smokin

Thanks for those words. I've only studied for two days and I feel like my mind is the CPA version of Batiatus' Ludus. Challenge accepted!

Damn I'm sorry man :smh:. This is what I am afraid of. I hope you aren't miserable.

Business Administration major over here. What do you guys think about going for my CPA just because?

Lost a few coworkers at my firm to PwC SF.. I wonder how theyre doing. I'm hearing that depending on your industry, you busy season can only last 4-6 weeks, with crazy hours, but the rest of the year is pretty slow.

Are you planning on getting your CPA? I plan on getting my certification after I'm done. Well, I'm pretty sure it's true cuz I was indecisive before on whether to major in finance or accounting. I used to work for chase before and some of the bankers majored and finance and they were like this is pretty much the most you can do with a finance degree.
I think the issue with finance degrees is if you really want to reach the pinnacle of finance like i-banking or Wall Street, you have to graduate from a prestigious school. Otherwise, you're going to face some obstacles.

There are Big Four firms (pinnacle of the accounting industry) in all major cities, and they hire every year, so there are less obstacles for you if you're not coming from a top school.

Last edited:
So what are the best industries to exit out of public accounting for pay, lifestyle, and interesting work taking into account that there are plenty of jobs (SF)? Also, when would be the best time to leave (e.g., at Staff, Senior, Manager)?

So what are the best industries to exit out of public accounting for pay, lifestyle, and interesting work taking into account that there are plenty of jobs (SF)? Also, when would be the best time to leave (e.g., at Staff, Senior, Manager)?

Accounting for a cartel south of the border.

Best industry? That's pretty subjective and also depends on what industry you gain experience in as you start.
Often, staff are a shared resource so they just get assigned to a business group or two and then are used wherever needed.
As a senior, you become more focused on one area and grow within that sector.

Leaving depends on what type of job you aspire for. Assume lateral movement or lower if you leave within first 4 years of public accounting. Manager and above, lateral and higher opportunity - typically.

Back
Top Bottom