Any NTers work in the Sports Business field?

Best of luck to everyone. Set a goal and go for it.

I was fortunate to work for a company that does a lot of financial work for the Warriors so I got to know some of the financial and accounting people there. Safe to say I am glad that the Warriors have a new owner because maybe the CFO will finally stop acting like he runs everything. This is just one way to make connections and to be honest, I didn't get to see any of the players, but rather just a bunch of numbers.

But hearing about Rich Cho's background and now being the Blazers GM gives some hope.

Best of luck to everyone. Set a goal and go for it.

I was fortunate to work for a company that does a lot of financial work for the Warriors so I got to know some of the financial and accounting people there. Safe to say I am glad that the Warriors have a new owner because maybe the CFO will finally stop acting like he runs everything. This is just one way to make connections and to be honest, I didn't get to see any of the players, but rather just a bunch of numbers.

But hearing about Rich Cho's background and now being the Blazers GM gives some hope.

Originally Posted by Durden7

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]
I'm def. thinking about getting into the business side of sports. Sports is my love.

Question: I'm going into my Fr. year of college, what do ya think is the best way to get into the business world?
[/td][/tr][/table]
Seriously, id look at other career paths as well if thats what you love.  The sports industry is very grueling and there isnt a lot of time to "love" sports when youre in the field.  Im not telling you to not go into the field, but keep your options open.

Sports 'business' can become so far away from actual sports, that you might as well be working in an office for any other business. that's the problem a lot of people encounter when that field doesn't exactly show the promise they initially thought it would back in HS. (which kinda happened with me)

Same here.

For me though it wasnt that it didnt show the promise I initially thought.  I was just lured away from the business because I truly wasnt passionate about it.  The long hours, the types of people who work there, the pay... its tough.

It seems like fun, but minor league baseball is a tough job.

You played in the minors?

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]
I'm def. thinking about getting into the business side of sports. Sports is my love.

Question: I'm going into my Fr. year of college, what do ya think is the best way to get into the business world?
[/td][/tr][/table]
Seriously, id look at other career paths as well if thats what you love.  The sports industry is very grueling and there isnt a lot of time to "love" sports when youre in the field.  Im not telling you to not go into the field, but keep your options open.

Sports 'business' can become so far away from actual sports, that you might as well be working in an office for any other business. that's the problem a lot of people encounter when that field doesn't exactly show the promise they initially thought it would back in HS. (which kinda happened with me)

Same here.

For me though it wasnt that it didnt show the promise I initially thought.  I was just lured away from the business because I truly wasnt passionate about it.  The long hours, the types of people who work there, the pay... its tough.

Originally Posted by RoOk

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Same here.

indifferent.gif

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Same here.

indifferent.gif

Another piece of advice for those thinking about the industry. If you are in school, take a few Sport Management classes. They'll give you a basic overview of the sports industry. If you're still interested, contact the athletic department and see how you can get a gig within as a student. Also, when guest speakers come by and lecture your class, whether you liked the content or not, get their contact info. Networking is crucial in the sports industry.

For those looking for jobs and internships:
www.teamworkonline.com

Another piece of advice for those thinking about the industry. If you are in school, take a few Sport Management classes. They'll give you a basic overview of the sports industry. If you're still interested, contact the athletic department and see how you can get a gig within as a student. Also, when guest speakers come by and lecture your class, whether you liked the content or not, get their contact info. Networking is crucial in the sports industry.

For those looking for jobs and internships:
www.teamworkonline.com

getting my MA in Sport Management. I'm in my second year working with a professional team.

getting my MA in Sport Management. I'm in my second year working with a professional team.

That teamworklonline site is really good stuff...

I graduated last May ('09) with a Bachelors in Sports Management (minor in Business).

During undergrad I interned with the Knicks and Rangers, and it was a great experience. Couldn't parlay it into anything with them after grad though.

Worked for the Nets for a week (yes a week) after graduating, in ticket sales. That was NOT what I wanted to do.

Kept looking for work in my field, but didn't really find what I wanted.

Fast forward to now, I'm going back for my Masters in S.M. Got about a month left before classes start up again...

That teamworklonline site is really good stuff...

I graduated last May ('09) with a Bachelors in Sports Management (minor in Business).

During undergrad I interned with the Knicks and Rangers, and it was a great experience. Couldn't parlay it into anything with them after grad though.

Worked for the Nets for a week (yes a week) after graduating, in ticket sales. That was NOT what I wanted to do.

Kept looking for work in my field, but didn't really find what I wanted.

Fast forward to now, I'm going back for my Masters in S.M. Got about a month left before classes start up again...

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Same here.

indifferent.gif

Honestly, that wasn't even worth you posting a stoneface. If you read what he last said, its a legitimate question.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Same here.

indifferent.gif

Honestly, that wasn't even worth you posting a stoneface. If you read what he last said, its a legitimate question.

Originally Posted by JACKEL56

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

I cant really help you too much with that, except for be prepared to work terrible hours, most weekends, and alot of holidays depending on which sport you land in.

I work in sports radio. I like it, but I work crappy hours. There is always some kind of NFL or NBA game on all the big holidays, plus they play on the weekends so you get to enjoy that six day work week. It can be irritating at times but its also fun. I enjoy my job.

If anyone has any radio or sports broadcasting questions, let me know. Ive been in the business for over 4 years now.
I would one get in that field? the talking on the radio or in front of the camera part, not behind the scenes

I work at ABC News in NYC. Most anchors here have started in very small markets (ie, Kansas, Maine, Wisconsin) and have worked themselves up. As far as the camera goes your looks and voice will get you far. No TV station wants an ug-mug. But if you have connections and fairly decent-looking and confident you'll do just as well.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

I cant really help you too much with that, except for be prepared to work terrible hours, most weekends, and alot of holidays depending on which sport you land in.

I work in sports radio. I like it, but I work crappy hours. There is always some kind of NFL or NBA game on all the big holidays, plus they play on the weekends so you get to enjoy that six day work week. It can be irritating at times but its also fun. I enjoy my job.

If anyone has any radio or sports broadcasting questions, let me know. Ive been in the business for over 4 years now.
I would one get in that field? the talking on the radio or in front of the camera part, not behind the scenes

I work at ABC News in NYC. Most anchors here have started in very small markets (ie, Kansas, Maine, Wisconsin) and have worked themselves up. As far as the camera goes your looks and voice will get you far. No TV station wants an ug-mug. But if you have connections and fairly decent-looking and confident you'll do just as well.

Originally Posted by shogun

did you go to a 4 year college or one of those specific radio broadcasting schools i hear about in commercials?
I went to TCU. Majored in Radio, TV, Film and minor in Communication Studies

Internships, networking, experience, etc...I work behind the scenes as a producer/reporter.

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Its not easy at all. In the sports industry you literally start at the bottom until you've paid your dues then you'll begin to make moves.
Yup

Originally Posted by shogun

did you go to a 4 year college or one of those specific radio broadcasting schools i hear about in commercials?
I went to TCU. Majored in Radio, TV, Film and minor in Communication Studies

Internships, networking, experience, etc...I work behind the scenes as a producer/reporter.

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Its not easy at all. In the sports industry you literally start at the bottom until you've paid your dues then you'll begin to make moves.
Yup

Had a couple of meetings the past few days, couple of great things came out of those.

1. Might get a chance to talk with Bill Duffy and ask him for advice about getting into the industry.
2. Might have a couple of test clients that aren't athletes to help us get our feet wet with marketing/advertising as well as network with sponsors.

Networking ftw
pimp.gif

Had a couple of meetings the past few days, couple of great things came out of those.

1. Might get a chance to talk with Bill Duffy and ask him for advice about getting into the industry.
2. Might have a couple of test clients that aren't athletes to help us get our feet wet with marketing/advertising as well as network with sponsors.

Networking ftw
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom