Any of you ever suffer a Knee Injury??

My doc stated that I could opt out of surgery, but because my kids are so young he advised I have the replacement.

Also, I went allograft (sp?)....donor. Doc stated that this was just as good and less recovery than using your own patella tendon.

I have two random dead guys knee ligaments....lol.

Also, not sure but if you tear your meniscus, isn't it usually just completely removed?

Slight tears that can be repaired with a stitch or two, they'll fix. Anything more they remove....?

I just remember Chris Paul saying that is what happened with him

I had patella tendonitis in both knees about 10 years ago. It wasn't an acute injury and was a result of overtraining. I was doing plyometrics and playing basketball way too much. I saw a physical therapist which seemed to help. A lot of rest switching sports to swimming and yoga really helped. If you don't have a tear... God bless, I would say just rest and switch up your sports for a while to give then knee a rest. 

I would consider allograft, they didn't tell me that option though. I can't answer your question on the meniscus situation, but mine is possibly slightly torn so if that's the case it'll just be some stitching. They don't even know yet, they'll find out once they open me up lol.

-PCL
-LCL
-Meniscus
-Popliteal Tendon
-Patella Tendon
-Fractured Fibula

Happened last year during a flag football scrimmage. Went deep on a fly route, had to adjust because the ball was underthrown. Bum a## CB made a terrible play on the ball. As I went to adjust, I had to turn my whole body to face-up and position myself to catch the ball. As soon as I caught the ball, I just heard the loudest crack in my life! Sounded like a piece of lumber being snapped in half x 5... :smh:

My first surgery was a 4-hour procedure, but my surgeon worked well enough to repair a lot of the damage. Had a small screw inserted into my fibula, a graft applied to help repair the ligament. Fortunately, my ligaments healed really well in the process and mostly everything else... But then there's scar tissue...

Scar tissue build-up is the worst. I don't think its that bad if you have minor repair work, but I had a bunch of it. Which sucks because it really hinders flexibility in your knee joints.

My second surgery started as a manipulation procedure, but once my doctor realized that he couldn't get me knee to budge, he had to resort to microscopy to scope out a lot of scar tissue. That procedure worked out really well and allowed my knee to bend a little more over time.

Unfortunately, out of all the work and therapy done in the past year, my meniscus is still in need of repair. I believe its the only part of my knee that didn't heal properly with all the work that had to be done.

I have another surgery scheduled in a few weeks to repair my meniscus, but it's the same week as the Dipset Reunion concert and a week before the holiday, so I'm rescheduling that... :lol:

I have a friend that had the same type of injury, it took him 5 surgeries to get right... :x But dudes knee is in great shape though...

-PCL
-LCL
-Meniscus
-Popliteal Tendon
-Patella Tendon
-Fractured Fibula

Happened last year during a flag football scrimmage. Went deep on a fly route, had to adjust because the ball was underthrown. Bum a## CB made a terrible play on the ball. As I went to adjust, I had to turn my whole body to face-up and position myself to catch the ball. As soon as I caught the ball, I just heard the loudest crack in my life! Sounded like a piece of lumber being snapped in half x 5... :smh:

My first surgery was a 4-hour procedure, but my surgeon worked well enough to repair a lot of the damage. Had a small screw inserted into my fibula, a graft applied to help repair the ligament. Fortunately, my ligaments healed really well in the process and mostly everything else... But then there's scar tissue...

Scar tissue build-up is the worst. I don't think its that bad if you have minor repair work, but I had a bunch of it. Which sucks because it really hinders flexibility in your knee joints.

My second surgery started as a manipulation procedure, but once my doctor realized that he couldn't get me knee to budge, he had to resort to microscopy to scope out a lot of scar tissue. That procedure worked out really well and allowed my knee to bend a little more over time.

Unfortunately, out of all the work and therapy done in the past year, my meniscus is still in need of repair. I believe its the only part of my knee that didn't heal properly with all the work that had to be done.

I have another surgery scheduled in a few weeks to repair my meniscus, but it's the same week as the Dipset Reunion concert and a week before the holiday, so I'm rescheduling that... :lol:

I have a friend that had the same type of injury, it took him 5 surgeries to get right... :x But dudes knee is in great shape though...

That's crazy. A heck of a lot has been done on that knee. I wish you the best with your recovery, and with the next surgery. I couldn't imagine having to go through all that, and then some.

In my opinion surgery makes things worse. I would exhaust all alternative modalities before opting for surgery. My friend had athroscopic knee surgery for his partially torn ACL. He said he feels worse than before the surgery and this is about 2 years after. 

My knee feels stronger, I just deal with the hyper-extensions and pain when it comes. the problem is if you eat like a mad man after surgery (which i did) you are gonna gain a gang of weight and not be able to lose it quick if you have conservative P.T.

In my opinion surgery makes things worse. I would exhaust all alternative modalities before opting for surgery. My friend had athroscopic knee surgery for his partially torn ACL. He said he feels worse than before the surgery and this is about 2 years after. 

Yeah that's pretty scary, my friend is good post-surgery and it's been about a year already. Can't imagine feeling worse, everyone's different though when it comes to recovery.

I would consider allograft, they didn't tell me that option though. I can't answer your question on the meniscus situation, but mine is possibly slightly torn so if that's the case it'll just be some stitching. They don't even know yet, they'll find out once they open me up lol.

I just don't think that adding another trauma to your knee (removing the center of the patella tendon) is a good way to go. Obviously, my opinion.....

But just make sure to ask questions. And if you don't like the answers, get a second opinion, find a surgeon you trust.

ACL reconstruction in April 2013.

Over a year past surgery and still don't feel 100%. Feel like taking a bat to everyone who criticizes Derrick Rose. It's not as easy as people think.

I can play ball but there are days where I'm sore as f the next day and need to take a day or two off. I have talked to a few ppl and they said this is normal even a year after.

Here are some pics for fun

Hours after:
View media item 1020953
Few days later. Note, my legs are not that thin, it just appears that way cause the swelling was crazy
View media item 1020954
1 month later:
View media item 1020963
Also, I never took a single pain killer. I didn't feel pain till about 6 weeks when I "overworked" in physio (as my therapist said)

Last edited:
ACL reconstruction in April 2013.

Over a year past surgery and still don't feel 100%. Feel like taking a bat to everyone who criticizes Derrick Rose. It's not as easy as people think.

I can play ball but there are days where I'm sore as f the next day and need to take a day or two off. I have talked to a few ppl and they said this is normal even a year after.

yeah, it will be a while until you are 99%. I never say 100% because that would be pre-injury.

But I can do all that stuff now, several years out. It ain't instant.

I would also be inclined to agree with this, look at your options first because surgery is not always the best options. I've had patella stabilisation surgery on my left knee.

My surgery was probably for the best but it also came with a lot of side effects. My kneecap dislocated ~4 years ago whilst picking up a paper I dropped on the ground and went with a kneecap stabilisation surgery as the kneecap was very loose. I was scared of it dislocating again as you could literally move it around if you wanted to.

The post-surgery pain was excruciating for ~2-3 weeks and I have permanent nerve damage in my knee area and a couple inches above and below.

I won't have to worry about my kneecap ever dislocating again but I can't sit on my knees and while numb to most sensations if I do hit my knee on something it feels like an incredibly painful electric shock.

Overall a surgery can have serious benefits but also very serious side effects and I strongly advise you thoroughly explore every option.

Last edited:
I mean what are the options really? Besides surgery, only option would be rehab/physiotherapy. Should I not opt for surgery I risk instability and further damage to my meniscus which would require surgery anyways eventually as well as arthritis. Seems like most of you went the surgical route. I haven't found much success stories or personal accounts on people living without an ACL.

I had no other option but surgery. My knee was unstable and I was twisting my knee all the time during basketball. During that time, I caused more damage to it and now I'll have to pay for it when I'm older cause I'm missing 30% of my cartilage

I mean what are the options really? Besides surgery, only option would be rehab/physiotherapy. Should I not opt for surgery I risk instability and further damage to my meniscus which would require surgery anyways eventually as well as arthritis. Seems like most of you went the surgical route. I haven't found much success stories or personal accounts on people living without an ACL.
Look at modalities such as prolotherapy, PRP (Platelet rich plasma). There are many variations of these types of treatments but for me it worked wonders (patella tendonitis). Athletes such as Kobe Bryant, Derek Jeter and Tiger Woods have traveled to Germany for these treatments as they are more skiled there. They don't work for everything.... but they do have its place. I don't want to begin trying to explain the science behind it as I would do a disservice to their research by giving my interpretation. A quick google search will give plenty of info. 

When I was maybe 4 or 5 I fell on my knee and ever since my right foot points outward though through force of habit I make it align when I walk.

Torn ACL and shattered my meniscus...NWTS.

My dudes, stick to rehab...Can't stress that enough.

Look at modalities such as prolotherapy, PRP (Platelet rich plasma). There are many variations of these types of treatments but for me it worked wonders (patella tendonitis). Athletes such as Kobe Bryant, Derek Jeter and Tiger Woods have traveled to Germany for these treatments as they are more skiled there. They don't work for everything.... but they do have its place. I don't want to begin trying to explain the science behind it as I would do a disservice to their research by giving my interpretation. A quick google search will give plenty of info. 

I have some experience in treating patients that had PRP. Some have worked, some haven't. (By "work" I mean the complete healing of the tissue involved, not the outcome of the therapy) It depends on the grade of the injury. Not a whole lot of research on them, but the ones out there could be conflicting. Also, a problem is that insurances may not pay for it. Personally, I think it would increase the effectiveness of the PRP if the person received the injections sooner than later. The reason for this is because the longer you wait, the more you let scar tissue of the injured tissue develop and the healing already commenced.

Basically, the way it works is that they draw blood, then they put it in a centrifuge and excrete the plasma. Finally, they inject it back into the injured area. The plasma hold great growth factors that encourage healing of various tissue.

Back
Top Bottom