Any of you ever suffer a Knee Injury??

Idk I guess he's being a bit more cautious with me because I got off to a real slow start, but have made great leaps since then.

Yeah bro I'm in NYC. I attend PT at NY Presbyterian-Columbia hospital, same campus where I had the surgery done. My PT is good but he's def not the best in the industry lol.

Last edited:
^^Have messed up knees. I used to run to much my doc told me. I still run to much. I'm flat footed. Doc told me I shouldn't rum more them 3 miles at a time but I don't listen.

I average anywhere from 5 -7 miles a day plus I'll play ball a few times a week. My left knee especially is always in pain and there is like some loose parts I can feel in it.

Idk I guess he's being a bit more cautious with me because I got off to a real slow start, but have made great leaps since then.

Yeah bro I'm in NYC. I attend PT at NY Presbyterian-Columbia hospital, same campus where I had the surgery done. My PT is good but he's def not the best in the industry lol.

Ah, not too familiar with the PTs there.

^^Have messed up knees. I used to run to much my doc told me. I still run to much. I'm flat footed. Doc told me I shouldn't rum more them 3 miles at a time but I don't listen.

I average anywhere from 5 -7 miles a day plus I'll play ball a few times a week. My left knee especially is always in pain and there is like some loose parts I can feel in it.

You should to get physical therapy. They'll help with correcting your mechanics and/or even helping out with getting the proper shoes to wear.

@7thAve btn 31stN33rd St  Thank you so much for your input. 

I have one question. In your experience have you ever worked with someone post-op that had "bad" surgery for a knee repair? "Bad" as in surgery that was mishandled or too intensive. Lie to me 
wink.gif

@7thAve btn 31stN33rd St
 Thank you so much for your input. 

I have one question. In your experience have you ever worked with someone post-op that had "bad" surgery for a knee repair? "Bad" as in surgery that was mishandled or too intensive. Lie to me :wink:

I've had people who ended getting infections after surgery (not too common, but always a risk) that get in the way of rehab. I've also seen PTs ruin surgeries by doing too much too early. One lady fractured her ankle and the PT was doing range of motion too intensively then ended up ruining the surgery. She got it re-done before coming to see me.

More recently, I had a woman who had a knee replacement. Range of motion was poor considering she was 6 weeks after surgery. I called her Doc and told her and she wanted her back ASAP to "manipulate under anesthesia". Tough.

I was playing basketball at a 24 hour fitness one night, thought I was still 21 years old :lol: played one too many games I sprained my knee during the last game (at least we won) :lol: thought I tweaked it so went home and went to bed. Woke up the next morning and couldn't move my leg or put pressure on it. Scariest feeling in the world, limped my way to the doctors office they took X-rays and MRI turned out it was just a sprain, thank god nothing worse. I've had sprained ankles and those weren't that bad but the whole knee thing was really scary. I had that same brace as OP. They said no physical activity for 8 weeks (no running, etc)

Had surgery a little over 24 hours ago. The numbing medicine is wearing off, I'm in a tremendous amount of pain. Oxycodone has done much for this

I'm going to be eating A LOT of peas after surgery :smile:. I'm kind of looking forward to it. It sucks to not be able to play right now.

Self recovery without surgery is going well. Went on a pretty strenuous 13 km hike yesterday. Felt fine the whole time (no instability etc) and feel okay today. Going to try and ramp up the jogging a little bit more...maybe get back to shooting around soon. Hopefully, everyone else has a silver lining from all this too (for me, it's eating significantly healthier).

played basketball for 2+ hours on some rubber type court yesterday. I didn't stretch before or after :smh: Last night my knee started swelling and I knew it was bad, hours later the calves and quads on both legs throbbed for what felt like hours. It wasn't excruciating pain but I couldn't sleep with it. Woke up now and the pains gone. Scared to get back on the court

Bags and bags of frozen peas, bro. Ankle pumps, ankle pumps, and more ankle pumps.

This helped, especially with my swelling. I called the Doctor like "I'm sure something isn't right."

I'm trying to walk on it now. I know with a new cadaver grath, I should be careful. But I'm ready to start moving around. Especially with having a full month of LOA.

played basketball for 2+ hours on some rubber type court yesterday. I didn't stretch before or after :smh: Last night my knee started swelling and I knew it was bad, hours later the calves and quads on both legs throbbed for what felt like hours. It wasn't excruciating pain but I couldn't sleep with it. Woke up now and the pains gone. Scared to get back on the court

What are your previous injuries?

This helped, especially with my swelling. I called the Doctor like "I'm sure something isn't right."

I'm trying to walk on it now. I know with a new cadaver grath, I should be careful. But I'm ready to start moving around. Especially with having a full month of LOA.

You had an ACL done, right? Anything additional ie meniscus and/or MCL?

What are your previous injuries?
You had an ACL done, right? Anything additional ie meniscus and/or MCL?

sprained right ankle that keeps spraining
jumpers knee in the left

Quads are still shot. They're not like the kind of sore that I get when I workout, it's different. Even sitting down, I can feel it vibrating/throbbing

sprained right ankle that keeps spraining
jumpers knee in the left

Quads are still shot. They're not like the kind of sore that I get when I workout, it's different. Even sitting down, I can feel it vibrating/throbbing

Sounds like what we call Patello-Femoral Syndrome. Kind of a "umbrella" diagnosis because it could be numerous things that could be contributing. Sometimes that feeling sitting down could occur due to the softening of the cartilage behind the knee cap, and with poor alignment during activity, it could effect the tracking of the patella.

I'm going to assume (because I cant physically see you) that you weak quads and tight hamstrings. Insufficiency of the quads will cause that pain with activity. I would also integrate some of the stretches I posted on the previous page. Right now, I would rest from playing ball.

I would focus on the following exercises for now.

Quad Sets:
Wrap a towel or put a pillow under the knee (as shown) and contract the quads. I would do 4 sets of 50. This will help with strength and swelling of the knee.

View media item 1210238
Bridges
These may not seem like much, but are very good exercises for the hip and core. 3 sets of 15.
View media item 1210239

Couple of other things:

- Don't sit for longer than 15-20 min. if you can. Take frequent breaks. Also, guys tend to sit with their knee spread out. Try not to do that, it causes tightness to the hips that if probably contributing to what it going on in the knee

- Do the stretches on the previous page with the exercises I posted above, you should have some alleviation of your pain.

- You can do exercise, but try not to do too much.

Sounds like what we call Patello-Femoral Syndrome. Kind of a "umbrella" diagnosis because it could be numerous things that could be contributing. Sometimes that feeling sitting down could occur due to the softening of the cartilage behind the knee cap, and with poor alignment during activity, it could effect the tracking of the patella.

I'm going to assume (because I cant physically see you) that you weak quads and tight hamstrings. Insufficiency of the quads will cause that pain with activity. I would also integrate some of the stretches I posted on the previous page. Right now, I would rest from playing ball.

I would focus on the following exercises for now.

Quad Sets:
Wrap a towel or put a pillow under the knee (as shown) and contract the quads. I would do 4 sets of 50. This will help with strength and swelling of the knee.

View media item 1210238
Bridges
These may not seem like much, but are very good exercises for the hip and core. 3 sets of 15.
View media item 1210239

Couple of other things:

- Don't sit for longer than 15-20 min. if you can. Take frequent breaks. Also, guys tend to sit with their knee spread out. Try not to do that, it causes tightness to the hips that if probably contributing to what it going on in the knee

- Do the stretches on the previous page with the exercises I posted above, you should have some alleviation of your pain.

- You can do exercise, but try not to do too much.

thanks a lot. Yes I have extremely weak quads and tight hamstrings. I also study computer science, I'm sitting on a computer for hours at a time. Lastly, on the daily commute bus I sit like this:

View media item 1210259
View media item 1210260

1st picture shows how I raise my leg against the seat, the 2nd picture shows the way my back is rounded on the seat of it. Definitely a lot of issues I have with my body

OSD.

Hurts like hell when I have to do anything involving use of my right knee but it lets me know im still growing.

Hang in there toast1985 toast1985 the first week is probably the hardest pain-wise. I didn't use any narcotics whatsoever, and the pain was bearable for me at least.

Good luck bro, you'll get through this. At least the surgery is over with.

Hang in there toast1985 toast1985 the first week is probably the hardest pain-wise. I didn't use any narcotics whatsoever, and the pain was bearable for me at least.

Good luck bro, you'll get through this. At least the surgery is over with.

Thanks. Yeah I was Oxycodone, but that stuff was makin me sick to my stomach. So I decided to tough it out

No previous injuries, but apparantly I already have authritis.

ACL replaced, and Lateral Collateral Ligament removed.

That tends to be common. The LCL was removed completely?

OSD.

Hurts like hell when I have to do anything involving use of my right knee but it lets me know im still growing.

How old are you? That usually affects teenagers.

I messed my knee up from years of skateboarding. I never got it formally checked out as I haven't had insurance in a long time. When I get up from kneeling I can hear some crackling and it sometimes comes close to slipping out if its at an awkward angle. I imagine im going to have pretty bad arthritis in it when I get older.

Getting ACL surgery tomorrow. Who has had it and did you go with the cadaver/patella tendon/hamstring?

Back
Top Bottom