Any Programmers on NT?

@tay1  Discrete Mathematics isnt too bad. it really just makes you think logically about things instead of plugging and chugging (with Calculus).

@tay1 IMO 90% of classes are a waste of time you just have to suck it up and finish the course with an A or B.

I also told you a while ago that you should have CLEP'ed out of those math courses instead of taking them all, it is a waste of time and money.

A CLEP exam cost about $100 and it counts as 3 credits some even count as 6 credits. Most universities allow up to 40 credits worth of CLEP exams.

CLEPing out of classes is how my friend finished his BS in CS in 2.5 years, and has now received his MS in CS a year later.

There is a reason why CLEP exams aren't talked about
wink.gif

I'm not paying for them since I'm at a jc, but yeah, I wasted a year and a half taking those classes. And yeah I never heard of clep.

@tay1
IMO 90% of classes are a waste of time you just have to suck it up and finish the course with an A or B.

I also told you a while ago that you should have CLEP'ed out of those math courses instead of taking them all, it is a waste of time and money.
A CLEP exam cost about $100 and it counts as 3 credits some even count as 6 credits. Most universities allow up to 40 credits worth of CLEP exams.

CLEPing out of classes is how my friend finished his BS in CS in 2.5 years, and has now received his MS in CS a year later.

There is a reason why CLEP exams aren't talked about :wink:

Yup I found out about the CLEP juug after I graduated. Whats your thoughts on a MS in Software Engineering? My job will cover majority of the cost (i can finesse it into being almost free if I do 2 classes a semester and no summer). I know in IT experience > All and an MBA is more beneficial when it comes to becoming a director. But I figured this would still be solid for resume power + my experience, and I want to get into teaching down the line (when I hit my 40s) so I figure it will help me get a lecturer gig while I work on a PHD.

From what I've read, it's really isn't all that necessary to get a masters. You're bound to get a job with a BS in most engineering fields. A masters is cool if you want to specialize in something related to your field.

From what I've read, it's really isn't all that necessary to get a masters. You're bound to get a job with a BS in most engineering fields. A masters is cool if you want to specialize in something related to your field.

it wouldn't be to get a job, more so purely for resume strength and down the road when I want to teach.

i remember going to poly nyc when it was separate before the merger. good scholarships

c++ is the basic language they start off in cs and intro classes are easy cause they give you baby projects.

the 2nd level soph class is harder and separates the easy from the hard quickly. i think it was intro into obj oriented prog with c++, all stuff like classes, objects, 8 queens :lol: bubble quick sorting. that was crazy. my experience is that the classes move quickly like lightning and sometimes i think its best to study the entire c++ language before entering the major classes.

also discrete math is something like a co requisite and its very vital to cs, that logic is so good to know though

im sure the major gets hard in the beginning classes and as you graduate they seem easier

idk why but I visit notebook forum reviews sometimes and check out http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ and the forum sections

https://www.google.com/search?q=cpp...rceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=cpp+tutorial

good luck coder

Last edited by a moderator:
it wouldn't be to get a job, more so purely for resume strength and down the road when I want to teach.

Yup that's exactly what its for. MS = more money and more opportunities, mainly opens up doors for managerial positions. Nobody should be paying for a MS with their own money in this field. Get a job after your BS then let your company pay for the MS. It is very necessary to get an MS now. The days of making it up the ranks with a BS only are over. Even people that were in the HS diploma era have a glass ceiling now.

I think that an SE Master's would be good for you since it seems like you are trying to transition into technical managerial positions? From what I have seen most VP, CEO, high ranking GS officials all have a BS, MS, and some sort of Executive MBA.

I would recommend taking a look at the credentials of people in VP and CEO positions at different companies.

I am also looking to start my MS in Cyber Security or Software Engineering soon. Can't decide which one I want to get. Cyber Security makes great money and its the future of IT, but I heard the work can be very boring and the GMU Cyber Security program cost 50K :lol: I'm not paying 30K out of pocket even if it is a top 10 program.

Last edited:
Yup that's exactly what its for. MS = more money and more opportunities, mainly opens up doors for managerial positions. Nobody should be paying for a MS with their own money in this field. Get a job after your BS then let your company pay for the MS. It is very necessary to get an MS now. The days of making it up the ranks with a BS only are over. Even people that were in the HS diploma era have a glass ceiling now.

I think that an SE Master's would be good for you since it seems like you are trying to transition into technical managerial positions? From what I have seen most VP, CEO, high ranking GS officials all have a BS, MS, and some sort of Executive MBA.

I would recommend taking a look at the credentials of people in VP and CEO positions at different companies.

I am also looking to start my MS in Cyber Security or Software Engineering soon. Can't decide which one I want to get. Cyber Security makes great money and its the future of IT, but I heard the work can be very boring and the GMU Cyber Security program cost 50K :lol: I'm not paying 30K out of pocket even if it is a top 10 program.

I`m a BA, Goal would be a director of Business Systems, or maybe move to Client Consulting. Yea, My job reimburses a certain amount a year,so if I go for trying to get the the degree in 3 yrs opposed to 2 it would be close to be being free/much cheaper minus cost of books and some fees.

Like I said I plan on having my own side businesses and stuff, but If I can get to a role as a director with a company or even an executive I`m not against it. In a perfect world I`d want to be teaching in my 40s, and maybe still some light consulting work for a company, paired with my own personal businesses.

When it comes to an MBA, If I get this MS, I`m not messing with an MBA until my company or a company sends me to an executive program where they cover all cost.

@LuckyLuchiano Yeah I definitely wouldn't touch an Executive MBA without a company sponsoring. Sounds like our plans are pretty similar except for the teaching part lol.

To those with an MS, how long did you wait to get it after getting a BS? I've been out of undergrad for about a year and half now and I haven't really decided if I want to do an MS yet. I work for a start up so they  most likely would not be paying for anything. 

^ My job pays 100% of tuition and 90% enrollment, kinda thinking about cybersecurity graduate degree. But I'm enjoying
learning front-end programming. Plus I hate this job and that's a additional 2 more years. But you guys have me thinking..

^ My job pays 100% of tuition and 90% enrollment, kinda thinking about cybersecurity graduate degree. But I'm enjoying
learning front-end programming. Plus I hate this job and that's a additional 2 more years. But you guys have me thinking..
If they are paying 100% I say go for it, unless you can get with another company that covers 100%.

It would be hard to find another gig playing 100% even on different coast. This company offers it because its a union
and they realize most people won't even take advantage of it due to family and individuals over 50+ range. Union
jobs tend to do that to cover job advancement.

I would be hard with the manager and supervisor I currently have. There complete pricks and the supervisor is useless
so two more additional years, I'd have to really see a payout in cyber security and I currently don't see much hype yet.

Last edited:
@Osek206  Where are you located? With all of these cyber attacks/cyber wars going on the demand for cyber security will only continue to rise. 

The way I see it is that I want to get in early before it starts being pushed heavily in schools and companies due to shortage.

Edit: The government is actually in the process of creating an agency only for Cyber Security 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
Quick question.

I'm reading my comp sci book and I'm dealing with cpu and how they work.

My understanding is that a multiprocessor refers to a computer that has more than one processor on its motherboard. And multicore processors are those that basically have more than one processor on the same chip. Am i on the right track or am I off?

@tay1 IMO 90% of classes are a waste of time you just have to suck it up and finish the course with an A or B.

There is a reason why CLEP exams aren't talked about
wink.gif
WHY HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS, EVER? Man wtf you are a God.

My university actually offers and accepts CLEP exams, effortlessly, but never once has any of my advisers ever brought it up and I've never even seen the acronym before.

Dedicated to my love for you.

Last edited:
@Osek206
 Where are you located? With all of these cyber attacks/cyber wars going on the demand for cyber security will only continue to rise. 

The way I see it is that I want to get in early before it starts being pushed heavily in schools and companies due to shortage.

Edit: The government is actually in the process of creating an agency only for Cyber Security :nerd:

I know UMD has been pushing cyber security have for the past couple years.

-Sidenote: which made is all the more embarrassing when hackers got all those student records. :smh:

Last edited:

My university actually offers and accepts CLEP exams, effortlessly, but never once has any of my advisers ever brought it up and I've never even seen the acronym before.

I've learned the hard way that counselors don't know ****. Especially when it comes to Engineering/Co Sci

I've learned the hard way that counselors don't know ****. Especially when it comes to Engineering/Co Sci
Learned this when I was still a Bio major. Man this is a blessing, I still needed to take Technical Writing and im just now in Calculus. Started at College Algebra
mean.gif

This is great, as I received a full-time internship and have to cut my credit hours down from 15/sem to about 9/sem. Self-study when im at work and blast through these courses now.

Going to check with the office at my Uni. that offers CLEP exams in the morning.

Last edited:
@Jay Patt lol most universities offer CLEP exams. You never heard of them, because universities are in the business of making money and keeping students there as long as they can. If CLEP exams were as widely broadcasted as AP exams it would cut average graduation times in half, causing universities to lose money.

A counselors job is to make the university more money, they aren't going to go above and beyond to figure out how you can graduate on time or early that is YOUR JOB.

I smh at people that actually rely on a counselor to make their schedule and plan out their curriculum. Leaving your fate in another persons hand that could give two ***** about you. Too many times I have heard of people getting to their last semester and being 3 or 6 credits short, and they blame it on their counselor
mean.gif
. At VCU our Comp Sci curriculum is designed to leave you 6 credits short of Upper level requirements by your last semester
laugh.gif

Just some advice for people that are still in school. Sit down and make an excel spreadsheet of the classes you need to take all the way until graduation it will be a life saver.

@Rusty Shackelford yeah UMD is suppose to have a good program too, but I'm not convinced.

@Osek206
 Where are you located? With all of these cyber attacks/cyber wars going on the demand for cyber security will only continue to rise. 

Edit: The government is actually in the process of creating an agency only for Cyber Security :nerd:

Work in D.C live in Baltimore. Was looking at the University of Maryland University College program but it really
looked soft on the hands on, more book heavy for the masters program. But I always tell people nobody know
anything about the cyber security aspect of computers, putting information out there for everybody.

I noticed a push on the radio for cyber security especially the UMUC ad's and other government agencies, just
wondering why it really hasn't took off.

Last edited:
@Osek206 I agree UMD program looks wack IMO, to me the only worth while program is GMU's. It is focused on Cyber, Business, and International affairs. Its an all around great program it just cost way too much. http://business.gmu.edu/cyber-security-degree/ , but if I had the opportunity to pursue I wouldn't hesitate.

Well school wise I think it hasn't taken off because its already hard enough to get people to do a computer related field, and if people do they usually do IS because its less math.

So its going to be a while until it takes off in schools, its not offered as a major at many places yet.

Cyber is really being pushed by companies in the DC area, pretty much everyone is hiring Cyber Security people right now. Heres a good read on cyber security in the DC area http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ea-really-is-a-hotbed-for-cybersecurity-jobs/.

Cliffs

- DC has 23K Cyber job postings, much more than any other region.

-90% growth rate from 2007-2013

-56% of jobs in DC area require CIISP cert (requires 4 years of full time Cyber work)

-Avg salary for a Cyber position is 93K

-Cyber job postings take 36% longer to fill

IMO its an excellent field to go into, but i hear that the work can be very boring.

Last edited:
@Osek206
I agree UMD program looks wack IMO, to me the only worth while program is GMU's. It is focused on Cyber, Business, and International affairs. Its an all around great program it just cost way too much. http://business.gmu.edu/cyber-security-degree/ , but if I had the opportunity to pursue I wouldn't hesitate.
View media item 1444442

Well school wise I think it hasn't taken off because its already hard enough to get people to do a computer related field, and if people do they usually do IS because its less math.
So its going to be a while until it takes off in schools, its not offered as a major at many places yet.

Cyber is really being pushed by companies in the DC area, pretty much everyone is hiring Cyber Security people right now. Heres a good read on cyber security in the DC area http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ea-really-is-a-hotbed-for-cybersecurity-jobs/.

Cliffs

- DC has 23K Cyber job postings, much more than any other region.
-90% growth rate from 2007-2013
-56% of jobs in DC area require CIISP cert (requires 4 years of full time Cyber work)
-Avg salary for a Cyber position is 93K
-Cyber job postings take 36% longer to fill

View media item 1444441

IMO its an excellent field to go into, but i hear that the work can be very boring.

yea my job is looking for a ton of ppl with that background but with experience. Thats the funny thing about IT, there are TONS of jobs but they dont want to train you, they want you to have experience, but IT has so many areas that its hard to be truly well rounded, people are simply just good at what they do. Companies would be better off just taking Junior level employees, sending them to these MS programs and giving them a salary bump upon completion.

Back
Top Bottom