Anyone else just not into material goods/pop culture?

Materialism and pop culture are two distinct phenomenon but in our society they seem to be joined at the hip.

I'm not even that old (mid 20's) but with every passing year, my want of discretionary material goods is less and less.  I'm kind of surprised myself. I was never too materialistic but I still used to like buying things on a regular basis. Now, it's nearly zilch on that end. 

Same with pop culture. I barely watch any new films or TV shows. I'm just not interested in them. The vast majority of pop culture seems to be pure doodoo for dodo heads. 

I have hobbies but they'd prob be considered old man hobbies. 
laugh.gif
 Reading, the outdoors,current events, etc. 

I'd like to think there's nothing wrong with me but I seem to be completely disconnected from my generation.

I still prefer physical books and newspapers to their digital versions. 
ohwell.gif

Last edited:
I feel you. I still prefer CDs over purchasing things digitally, NT is the only "social-networking" site I am a part of, I like books, newspapers and magazines as well.

I just got a "smart-phone" last year and that was mainly for e-mail on the go for work.

I think it is refreshing to find people who don't feel compelled or the need to buy brands and turn themselves into a walking billboard for billion dollar corporations.

Making money has always been a hobby/skill of mine, so I don't worry about it too much. The only thing I watch on TV is Sports and I prefer to travel and do things outdoors most of the time.

i'm more than comfortable in my cheap *** old navy jeans and a plain t-shirt.

as far as pop culture goes, i only partake in the things i really like.. i'll never be part of something just because it's cool or because it's the new trend.

i havent watch tv shows in the past 4 years, seldom watch movies at the theaters.
only thing i watch is sports

games are getting boring too... same old game over and over again with a new year attached to the title

i really have no clue what the latest trends are. nothing seems interesting anymore. kinda hard to make friends too because of this :frown:

i just like the gym man..................its seriously a lifestyle.

if it wasnt for NT i wouldnt know wtf is goin on in the world.

I dropped out of the whole 'pop culture/media' loop for a while. But I'm starting to get back into it because the whole pop culture dynamic and the way people react to it is pure entertainment for me.

Classic example, that Rick Ross thread with dudes seriously e-beefing over whether or not another man sold drugs. :lol:

OP i feel you though i thought about making a thread like this before.

i just grew out of a lot of stuff an despise our current generation

its pretty bad man...................hell i even think rap music for the most part these days is terrible. sometimes i feel like an old man.........................

hell ill take it even further..............

real life i feel like i dont even connect with a lot of my black/minorities anymore.

im different

Ehh not me.  I wish I had more money and could buy more material things

I wish I could DVR all the good shows and watch all the good movies on Blu-Ray

I wish I could cop 3 pair of them black/red 11's

I love the internet, twitter, NT, memes, etc.

I just know how to turn it off.  And I just know how to prioritize my money.

Yes, and when I'm around people who talk about material stuff such as the new iphones, cars, clothing etc... I have nothing to say, it doesn't really interest me. haha

Yes, and when I'm around people who talk about material stuff such as the new iphones, cars, clothing etc... I have nothing to say, it doesn't really interest me. haha

i dont get how any guy cannot be into cars.

thats just me though.

what are your hobbies?

I see where you're coming from OP. I try not to disregard anything for its label. If I enjoy it , I enjoy it. If not, I don't.

Walden, and other works by Thoreau, completely changed my life.

I live a fairly miserly life relative to my peers and my age group, but I still maintain certain characteristics of the conspicuous consumer (I eat out way more than I should: subway, cookies, donuts, etc).

I occasionally watch t.v, but only for a sporting event; see televised Knicks basketball game.

These vices aside, I keep a very low to nonexistent profile as far as american consumerism is concerned.

i dont get how any guy cannot be into cars.
thats just me though.
what are your hobbies?

I'm into fixing my car and learning about the working of it but as far as the fancy cars goes, doesn't get me going.

I lift weights, run, play ball and ride my mountain bike out in the wild.

I'm a machinist btw.

Walden, and other works by Thoreau, completely changed my life.
I live a fairly miserly life relative to my peers and my age group, but I still maintain certain characteristics of the conspicuous consumer (I eat out way more than I should: subway, cookies, donuts, etc).
I occasionally watch t.v, but only for a sporting event; see televised Knicks basketball game.
These vices aside, I keep a very low to nonexistent profile as far as american consumerism is concerned.

thanks for the book recommendation...will be checking that out (on my kindle) lol

good thread OP.

I always thought, the first step to greatness and becoming what your "Meant" be is unpluging from all this BS

Sometimes when i drive, i dont listen to ANYTHING and just think.

Society has come to point where MANY are just so damn distracted with BS to keep you from your true potential.

One more thing...........Powerballin=Megatron=Troll :smh:

Last edited:
Some of you guys are getting older and maturing. It's not a bad thing. Plus for the millennials, we are a conundrum for advertisers on what to market to us because we are not so cookie cutter as previous generations before us so a lot of the magic of consumerism has worn out and we haven't been given a comparable replacement yet. That's why they have all this custom marketing going on to reach us in our search results, smart phones and trying to capture whatever it is they think we do in our downtime.

Sometimes I just want to just be. Not be talking about something that everyone in general is gonna be commenting on. Not listening to radio, ads ( sadly most popular music is written in a form of subliminal advertising).

I just wanna be somewhere where somebody is not always trying to sell me something or asking me to agree with them.

I BEEN ROCKING THE SAME WARDROBE FOR 4 GOING ON 5 YEARS....

MY SNEAKER GAME IS ALWAYS ON POINT BUT I DONT NEED TO BUY KICKS LIKE THAT ANYMORE... I HAVE A DECENT ROTATION TO KEEP THEM ALL FRESH..

I am at a point that comfortable and like myself.  I do anything to please or impress anyone else.  I do things that make me happy without changing for anyone and I appreciate those that accept me for just being myself.    But these are some good points also ---------------------------->
i'm more than comfortable in my cheap *** old navy jeans and a plain t-shirt.

as far as pop culture goes, i only partake in the things i really like.. i'll never be part of something just because it's cool or because it's the new trend.
I wish I could DVR all the good shows and watch all the good movies on Blu-Ray

I just know how to turn it off.  And I just know how to prioritize my money.
I BEEN ROCKING THE SAME WARDROBE FOR 4 GOING ON 5 YEARS....

MY SNEAKER GAME IS ALWAYS ON POINT BUT I DONT NEED TO BUY KICKS LIKE THAT ANYMORE... I HAVE A DECENT ROTATION TO KEEP THEM ALL FRESH..

Isn't your name that ******ed onomatopoeia Borat says?

Bet you weren't watching da Ali G show before that movie came out.

Back
Top Bottom