Anyone have a 4k Ultra HD television? Help

I have an 85” samsung for the living room when my girl and I first moved in 3 years ago. Looking to get another 85” or 90” for the pergola but not sure about mounting it. Any of you guys every mounted a big tv in a gazebo/pergola?

always found it weird that samsung inflates their msrp

the same tv is on best buy for the same price but its $500 cheaper in msrp

samsung.com has it for $1000 off while best buy only has it at $500 but still ends up being the same price in the end

Need to buy a new TV today…. Nothing bigger than 77in ….. should I just get another Samsung like posted above? Idk the difference between 4K and 8k but I’m guessing unless you have the cables and the 8k resolution is available you wouldn’t notice the difference between the two…. Am I right?

Some Big mini-LED TV's coming out this year

Screenshot_20240116_155155_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240116_155234_Chrome.jpg

bought the Hisense U8K last December 25, 2023 when our trusty 10 year old 1080p Panasonic kept on shutting down multiple times for the past month several times a day. I would have opted for atleast a midrange OLED with a good refresh rate (preferably either a Sony or Samsung) but they still cost a lot more than I'm willing to shell out. the closest to my price range would be the C3 which would have been great IMO but my recent experienced with LG hasn't been good at all. the 2 LG tv purchases I had were lemons or went the drain after 3-4 years of use.

my main reason for getting the U8K was due to the fact that it was on sale and had a good extended warranty offer for it. considering that I was also impressed with miniled's picture quality as I had seen with LG's QNED series made me curious to try out this panel over the OLED.

so here is my review of the U8K. the tv has some considerable weight compared to OLED tvs. the panel has 144hz refresh rate which is great for movies particularly sports and action and also for gaming. picture quality is impressive from the get-go and even superb when post-calibrated. colors are vivid and really pop. it has a very bright panel and lots of highlight detail and shadow detail, practically saying it has a great dynamic range. black quality is OLED-like although having said that it is getting extremely close to oled contrast that makes the scene pop. haloing and blooming is almost non-existent which is great, although there are still minimal signs only because I know where to look for them. speaker system is very good and has great midrange for dialogue clarity. it has enough juice to sound substantial even without a soundbar. while it has a subwoofer, it does lack the sub-frequency effect that would be nice for a theater-like experience. the apps is good and the remote is responsive.

as far as the negatives are concerned, there are only a few factors that I find that they could have improved on. a sub-bass would have been nice to have especially when the tv has a subwoofer. viewing angle is still limiting and great viewing experience is limited to a max 20 degree angle . at 45 degree, the color saturation suffer but I guess they have to improve on the VA panel. although I prefer the VA panel here than the IPS. motion/transition is a bit iffy or above average but I guess they can fix this with a firmware update for smooth motion.

the U8K really shines with newer movies with 4K HDR/Imax content. notable movies I tried are the Nolan Batman trilogy and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit trilogies. the tv struggles with upscaling , lower resolution and poorly streamed movies. it also struggled with THE BATMAN due to how the movie was shot. weak parts are the noise/denoise and shadow pixelation on some movies.

I would say the TV sits between a midrange and high-end tv. without those cons, the U8K would have been up there on the highend scale. but for $700, it is worth the praise that it is getting across the tv review boards.

Attachments

• hisense.jpg
    hisense.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
I’ve got 4 LG Black Friday TVs and only one has shown any signs of losing life

Very appreciative of how well they’ve all held up

You usually get what you pay for... LG makes budget displays too... but Ive never had a problem with any of the 6 LG OLEDs Ive owned, and my experience with them replacing the panel of the open box C8 that had burn in was exceptional.

I’m also on team LG OLED. No issues with my CX or G2. My B7 developed burn in but I was able to replace it with the CX through the extended warranty.

Might as well get a projector at that point
I was set on a UST projector for the eventual basement man cave until I did more research. Long story short, you really need to look into lumens vs. nits and contrast to determine if that 100”+ projection is really ideal for you in comparison to a 97”+ budget tv offering.

I’m also on team LG OLED. No issues with my CX or G2. My B7 developed burn in but I was able to replace it with the CX through the extended warranty.

I was set on a UST projector for the eventual basement man cave until I did more research. Long story short, you really need to look into lumens vs. nits and contrast to determine if that 100”+ projection is really ideal for you in comparison to a 97”+ budget tv offering.
while I like the C3, if I were going for LG again, I would choose the G3. I was initially going for the projector hype train til I did more research on what I'm gaining and losing. too bad, the cons outweigh the benefits more with the projector for my needs.

picture quality is impressive from the get-go and even superb when post-calibrated. colors are vivid and really pop.

What calibration settings did you use?

I have the 65" U8H, so a year or 2 older than yours but never changed anything once I originally set it up.

What calibration settings did you use?

I have the 65" U8H, so a year or 2 older than yours but never changed anything once I originally set it up.
I was considering the U8H about a year or 2 ago. I just held up the purchase since my son was able to fix the old tv temporarily for a year til the old tv's symptoms became more unbearable.

I initially put the setting on Theater Day as was advised, although the picture quality was nice, it wasn't my preferred setting. I went through a few tv boards to see how they would pan out and I just mix and match. but in general, as far as picture quality is concerned, it seems the numbers are unanimous.

here is my setting:
I put mine under Rtings recommendation initially.

Theatre Night
Contrast - 38
Brightness - 26
Active Contrast - off
Local Dimming - High
Dark Detail - off
Black Level -0
Gamma - 2.2
Color - 50
Hue - 0
Color Temp - Warm
Color Space - Auto

you can look here for further info.

while that setting is nice, I find it too bright for my liking possibly due to years of having an old hdtv with lower brightness. so I ended up with adjusting the brightness to my liking as I like somehow of a darker tone. if you prefer how the movie was intentionally shot, leave the content auto detection on.

Back
Top Bottom