Anyone watching First Take??? Rob Parker just said is "Is RG3 a brother or a cornball brother"

just my read on the way he acts...

he doesnt seem to prioritize it, seems like he looks past race as something that defines him

he is who he wants to be, regardless of race. i respect that, he doesnt conform to what people like rob parker think he should be

he doesnt seem to prioritize it, seems like he looks past race as something that defines him

he is who he wants to be, regardless of race. i respect that, he doesnt conform to what people like rob parker think he should be
Okay.

Barack and Michelle do have cornball tendencies, they speak well, Ivy-league educated, and Barack doesn't have any baby mamas.
#Sarcasm #Don't get your jimmies up in a rustle.

so does that make every black person that has voted for obama a cornball as well?

just wondering, who of you would rather be a cornball than a pimp/thug/someone with more than 1 baby mama?

sorry, but i'd rather be educated, well spoken, have my own beliefs and make my own choices and marry who ever the f*ck i want and be called a cornball, than to be some stereotype that should meet other people's expectations. people who i will never meet or people who are not of any influence to me.

last time i checked, it was GOD that would be your final judge, not some random idiot sports reporter or another individual. i could be wrong though..

people also need to keep in mind that he was born in 1990

race relations in america have come a long way, so his perspective is probably much different than someone born just 10 years before him

that's probably why he doesnt particularly feel the need to embrace the idea of being a black qb

Last edited:
:smh: @ all of the extremes in here. There's just no middle ground with some of yall dudes.

I will say this though him wifing a white chick and if he really is a republican in this Obama era it does kinda make you think but I wouldnt lable him a "Cornball brother"(which sounds corny as hell) or a "Sellout". Like I said earlier in this thread he has never denied or ran from who is. RG3 is just the type of dude that grew up on the better side of town, thats all. I know a lot brothas like that. Your Enviornment shapes who are for the most part.

And other people need to chill with "Oh because he speaks well, yall want to call him a cornball" thats not what they're saying. Larry Fitzgerald is one of the most well spoken athletes on the planet and you will never hear people say stuff like this about him. With RG3 people are looking at a collection of things. Even though I dont agree with it because he has never done or said anything blatant I can understand where they're coming from.

Last edited:

people also need to keep in mind that he was born in 1990

race relations in america have come a long way, so his perspective is probably much different than someone born just 10 years before him

that's probably why he doesnt particularly feel the need to embrace the idea of being a black qb
laugh.gif
yeah right....he's from Texas....hes knows

so does that make every black person that has voted for obama a cornball as well?
just wondering, who of you would rather be a cornball than a pimp/thug/someone with more than 1 baby mama?
sorry, but i'd rather be educated, well spoken, have my own beliefs and make my own choices and marry who ever the f*ck i want and be called a cornball, than to be some stereotype that should meet other people's expectations. people who i will never meet or people who are not of any influence to me.
last time i checked, it was GOD that would be your final judge, not some random idiot sports reporter or another individual. i could be wrong though..

I was with you till the God nonsense. :lol:

But yea most black cornballs have no real interaction with the type of dudes who think they are cornballs, should really have no influence on them. It's like ugly girls who gossip about the hot popular girls behind their back.

why does ESPN feel they need to keep this clown around?

No one likes him anyway; not like they are letting go of Chris Berman

^^^ I rest my case. He did his job. Eyes are now on him that weren't before. Ratings are ratings, dosent take into account if people like him or not

Rob Parker hurt RGIII's brand and I know Adidas was mad

How did he hurt his brand though? We all knew these things about RGIII beforehand. He had a white gf, he didnt grow up on the streets, etc. So what exactly did Parker accomplish here besides garnering attention for himself.

Its not like Griffin put up a front and acted like something that we wasnt and then was exposed........

Last edited:
Why are people including his well-spokenness and upbringing as to factors that attribute to some people's opinions on him?

He could have been from the trap in Port Arthur and talked like Chief Keef...and if he still had a white mate and was rumored to be a Republican...he'd still have "cornball brother" accusations placed on him.

Last edited:
^^^ proof of your statement? Truth is people can hate all they want, but hate means people notice them. I'm not even a fan of the show but they've been on for a while now. They're doing something right.

Last edited:
^^^ proof of your statement? Truth is people can hate all they want, but hate means people notice them. I'm not even a fan of the show but they've been on for a while now. They're doing something right.

How are you all the sudden tuning in but weren't before?

Why are people including his well-spokenness and upbringing as to factors that attribute to some people's opinions on him?

He could have been from the trap in Port Arthur and talked like Chief Keef...and if he still had a white mate and was rumored to be a Republican...he'd still have "cornball brother" accusations placed on him.
i'm not so sure... at the very least it wouldn't be garnering national discussion.

if rg3 looked and behaved like gucci mane but had a white girl friend and voted for romney, i don't think anyone would say anything.

what most of you aren't getting is what it seemed that Parker was getting at was that RG3 rejects his Blackness.  If he spoke like Allen Iverson, you think that would be in question?

And you guys are silly if you think at least half of your favorite athletes and celebrities aren't fiscally republican.  So many of them get in trouble for tax evasion, but you think they're all voting for democrats to raise their taxes??

Last edited:
i'm not so sure... at the very least it wouldn't be garnering national discussion.

if rg3 looked and behaved like gucci mane but had a white girl friend and voted for romney, i don't think anyone would say anything.

what most of you aren't getting is what it seemed that Parker was getting at was that RG3 rejects his Blackness.  If he spoke like Allen Iverson, you think that would be in question?

And you guys are silly if you think at least half of your favorite athletes and celebrities aren't fiscally republican.  So many of them get in trouble for tax evasion, but you think they're all voting for democrats to raise their taxes??
But when did Parker mention ANYTHING about how he spoke or where he grew up?

He SPECIFICALLY mentioned his girl and his political party. 

Lebron speaks and carries himself well and the casual basketball fan knows nothing of his less than easy upbringing. Has anyone questioned his blackness?

As far as athletes being fiscally republican...that's mere speculation. I can say that during...there was a report on Hoopshype that mentioned the disparity between what NBA players had contributed to each campaign versus the owners. The majority of the players had contributed to Obama's campaign and the majority of the owners contributed to the Romney campaign.

Most of the popular NBA players were VERY vocal during the election. Lebron, Carmelo, KD, and others definitely spoke in favor of Obama thru social media or other outlets.

In fairness to RGIII, I don't think he's once mentioned whether he was a republican or not.

Last edited:
^ Charles Barkley was a vocal Republican with a White wife.  No one has ever questioned his Blackness.  Why?  Because he'd just as quickly threaten to slap Rob Parker in the mouth (and follow through with it?)

Parker specifically said "RG3's braids are very urban so that makes me think.. I feel like if he had a clean cut... was very straight laced like... Wearing braids, you're a brother."

And you don't think if RG3 spoke African American English (the proper linguistic name for what many call incorrectly call "ebonics") Parker would have been like "well that makes you more urban, so..."

Why are you guys going out of your way to defend this dudes ignorance??

Face it.  There are negative Black stereotypes, and what Parker's insinuating is that not only is RG3 (allegedly) conservative politically but he dates out of his race and doesn't display any of the more stereotypical traits of Black youth, therefore he's trying to separate himself from his race.

Last edited:
Drawing from social comparison theory, people try to compare themselves to people they believe are above them. The reason people are hating on RG3 is that he beats them in most categories: rich, young, athletic, successful, educated. One of the ways they can feel better about their self-worth is by focusing on a category they think they are above RG3: their level of connectedness to their race, or in other words, their level of "blackness".

It's similar to women and how they compare themselves to supermodels. Supermodels represent the ideal level of beauty but normal women realize that they  can't reach that level. In order to feel better about themselves, they come up multiple reasons/excuses to explain the difference. 

Back
Top Bottom