Appeal of the iPhone dying?

I have an iPhone 1st gen. Back then when the thing was 500-600, then 400, the thing was a status symbol. It was like a MacBook of today. The thought processfor the early iPhone and current Macs was something like "Yes, I can get similar specs for cheaper, but F it, this thing works well and people will know something about me when I show them this." Conspicuous consumption at its finest. I mean, its thesame reason we all hype over limited sneakers. Take the original DMP, if the pack wasn't as limited as it was, you can bet the pack wouldn't have soldas well.

Now, with the iPhone at $99, and 3GS at $199, its saturated the market so much that its not even special anymore. The value prop for the phone is the UX andthe apps. IMO this is dangerous because App makers will port their apps to other platforms and Apple's UX advantage is starting to dwindle.

These are all just my instincts and opinions, but does anyone feel the same way?

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

I have an iPhone 1st gen. Back then when the thing was 500-600, then 400, the thing was a status symbol. It was like a MacBook of today. The thought process for the early iPhone and current Macs was something like "Yes, I can get similar specs for cheaper, but F it, this thing works well and people will know something about me when I show them this." Conspicuous consumption at its finest. I mean, its the same reason we all hype over limited sneakers. Take the original DMP, if the pack wasn't as limited as it was, you can bet the pack wouldn't have sold as well.

Now, with the iPhone at $99, and 3GS at $199, its saturated the market so much that its not even special anymore. The value prop for the phone is the UX and the apps. IMO this is dangerous because App makers will port their apps to other platforms and Apple's UX advantage is starting to dwindle.

These are all just my instincts and opinions, but does anyone feel the same way?
more phones= more apps sold= more profit for app developers.
eyes.gif

So you thought you were buying an Apple product for exclusivity...in the 21st century?

So you don't have a special phone? Big deal. Mine arrives tomorrow and I'm psyched. Glad I waited, I've got better things to spend $400 on, likehand bags
laugh.gif
But to each their own, I'm sure theres some new exclusive phone you can move on to.

only reason they were so expensive is because they werent subsidized through yearly contracts. they're still that price without one

It's just a phone. A really good one at that.

Phone + threaded SMS + Email + Wifi + Bluetooth + Safari + iPod + GPS + app store + jailbroken + good price point = destined to be in every other person'shands without a Blackberry.

Really, people who have a choice 90% of the time would go with an iPhone or Blackberry.

It's only "dying" because they're incredibly popular, and it doesn't seem to be going away any time soon.

I never buy products only because they're expensive, limited, or rare. If I like the product, and it's the best choice for me, then I get it. I'mthe only one who has to use it every day, and I don't care what some random person thinks about me or my phone.

Originally Posted by soulize dp

It's just a phone. A really good one at that.

Phone + threaded SMS + Email + Wifi + Bluetooth + Safari + iPod + GPS + app store + jailbroken + good price point = destined to be in every other person's hands without a Blackberry.

Really, people who have a choice 90% of the time would go with an iPhone or Blackberry.

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

I have an iPhone 1st gen. Back then when the thing was 500-600, then 400, the thing was a status symbol. It was like a MacBook of today. The thought process for the early iPhone and current Macs was something like "Yes, I can get similar specs for cheaper, but F it, this thing works well and people will know something about me when I show them this." Conspicuous consumption at its finest. I mean, its the same reason we all hype over limited sneakers. Take the original DMP, if the pack wasn't as limited as it was, you can bet the pack wouldn't have sold as well.

Now, with the iPhone at $99, and 3GS at $199, its saturated the market so much that its not even special anymore. The value prop for the phone is the UX and the apps. IMO this is dangerous because App makers will port their apps to other platforms and Apple's UX advantage is starting to dwindle.

1) Thats arguable but there are no points in comparing hypothetical situations. Hype sells, yes.

2) Correct

3) Yes. The iPhone marketing, development, and support revolutionized the mobile industry. But from a hardware aspect, it was nothing special. UntilAndroid, WinMo, and other platforms get a better response from developers then the iPhone will remain as the "it" device. Microsoft is actuallydoing well with their Marketplace but the major app developers are asking for $10-30 per download
smh.gif

I don't mess with the iphone - not a fan of touch-based input. Sure, it's got a lot of apps, but it doesn't make the main function of the iphoneany easier. Not to mention the expensive proprietary data plans either.

I use a Nokia and I don't see myself changing anytime soon.

what does it matter? you happy that every 15 year old won't have one?

and if Apple is going to Verizion it'll only drive the hype up even more for the iphone

I hope android takes over next year, I want to switch over, im tired of Iphone OS

they should to dramatically change it next year to keep people interested, if they dont though, people are still going to cop

I feel you but im sure Apple is cooking up a monster for June...so imma ride with my 3g and then cop the next one in the summer....

whatsfunny is that everyone I know with an iPhone HATES the actual phone but loves everything else

Originally Posted by FullMetal

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

you're a hypebeast

this.
How am I a hypebeast when iPhone hype is at its all time high and I'm trying to find a new phone? (Can't find one though because theiPhone's Apps + UI are still the best out there.) I'm trying to go to a lesser known phone with much less hype, but the same functionality andhardware aesthetics.

Second, if you're hating on me for trying to find exclusivity in a phone, then you should hate on everyone who cops a Rolex or IWC.

Or maybe like NKEAIR, I'm tired of the iPhone OS. I had it for 2 years now so maybe I'm just ready for something else.

Back
Top Bottom