Team nekkid or with a case?

• Team nekkid

Votes: 119 26.3%
  • Case

Votes: 279 61.6%
  • Nekkid with occasional case

Votes: 55 12.1%

• Total voters
Anyone ever rebuild your Mac? My hdd is corrupted so I was thinking about getting a tb and upping the ram to 16. Is that worth doing or will the machine just crash? 2012 retina (first edition). Battery and keyboard was replaced in February.
I think it's worth it if you're not in the market to buy a new MBP and if the price to upgrade the HDD and RAM is not too expensive for you.

Duly noted. Only a $200 add-on but that’s definitely worth it because I am known to do a lot simultaneously :lol:
The extra RAM will help with the multi-tasking. I always have an external HDD with me, so HDD space isn't really an issue.

Does anyone with the powerbeats pro know if you can turn them on without them coming from the case? I bought a pair Saturday and feel like I don't want to charge them after every use by putting them back in the case. Supposedly that's one way of putting them to sleep, but then they also say you can take them out and use them during the day without needing the case. So, how?

Both my personal and work MBP's have touch bars, and I only use it to adjust screen brightness and volume. I can't speak for your needs, but I find keyboard shortcuts to be significantly quicker and more convenient.

I'm not sure why Apple priced the MBP and Air so closely together. From the less powerful dual core CPU to the dinner screen, The Air doesn't make a lot of sense

So when it comes to computers l’m no the most savvy so bear with me but I went into the Apple Store today. What he explained to me is that the latest MacBook Air came out in late 2018 so it has the latest Intel processor while the entry MBP that is only $100 more came out in 2017 so it still has the last generation processor. This resulted in him saying with the MBP, I’d be good with RAM but would need to update it for the entry level MBP.

The new MBP with the touch pad came out like three weeks ago, has the latest generation processor and is Quad Core while the other two are Dual Core but it’s $500 more. He said I wouldn’t need the RAM update for that either. I plan to ride this until the wheels fall off so I feel it’s worth it to make the investment knowing that I at least got the most recent technology at the time of purchase.

RE: iPads. He pretty much shut down the Airs and sold me on the Pro due to its enhanced functionality. The question was 11” vs 12.9”. The 12.9 might be a little too much if you plan on holding it but if you’re mounting it with the keyboard ($199) and pen ($129) then it’s great.

While I will readily admit the story gives the expression that he upsold me, it’s also worth noting that I ran over my old MacBook in 2011 and haven’t had a personal laptop since and never owned a tablet (I have two work laptops and a tablet). I recently got a promotion and due to the nature of the information I’ll be handling, it’s best to not do anything non-work related on them moving forward so I wanted to ensure whatever I got would be most recent and built to last.

So when it comes to computers l’m no the most savvy so bear with me but I went into the Apple Store today. What he explained to me is that the latest MacBook Air came out in late 2018 so it has the latest Intel processor while the entry MBP that is only $100 more came out in 2017 so it still has the last generation processor. This resulted in him saying with the MBP, I’d be good with RAM but would need to update it for the entry level MBP.

The new MBP with the touch pad came out like three weeks ago, has the latest generation processor and is Quad Core while the other two are Dual Core but it’s $500 more. He said I wouldn’t need the RAM update for that either. I plan to ride this until the wheels fall off so I feel it’s worth it to make the investment knowing that I at least got the most recent technology at the time of purchase.

RE: iPads. He pretty much shut down the Airs and sold me on the Pro due to its enhanced functionality. The question was 11” vs 12.9”. The 12.9 might be a little too much if you plan on holding it but if you’re mounting it with the keyboard ($199) and pen ($129) then it’s great.

While I will readily admit the story gives the expression that he upsold me, it’s also worth noting that I ran over my old MacBook in 2011 and haven’t had a personal laptop since and never owned a tablet (I have two work laptops and a tablet). I recently got a promotion and due to the nature of the information I’ll be handling, it’s best to not do anything non-work related on them moving forward so I wanted to ensure whatever I got would be most recent and built to last.

I have a 2009 MBP that I want to replace before it dies (the battery’s basically done already as I’m getting “replace soon” notices.)

I use the laptop to produce and record music. Would you guys recommend the new MBP with ram upgrade or just go stock?

Did you buy the MBP? What is the amount of RAM that it came with?

RE: iPads. He pretty much shut down the Airs and sold me on the Pro due to its enhanced functionality. The question was 11” vs 12.9”. The 12.9 might be a little too much if you plan on holding it but if you’re mounting it with the keyboard ($199) and pen ($129) then it’s great

What would you use the iPad for?

I got the 11" pro. I got it for sketching / design. Most would've gotten the 12.9" for that, but it just seemed too cumbersome.

What I liked about the new Pros were: USB-C charger / port which is what I already have with my Pixel. Also the better speakers, and you need the Pro to use the "new" apple pencil 2 (can't use the pencil 1 with new iPads, can't use pencil 2 with old iPads). Plus the no bezel design looks better

I have a 2009 MBP that I want to replace before it dies (the battery’s basically done already as I’m getting “replace soon” notices.)

I use the laptop to produce and record music. Would you guys recommend the new MBP with ram upgrade or just go stock?

Congrats on 10 years! That’s the type of longevity that I am hoping to achieve.

Did you buy the MBP? What is the amount of RAM that it came with?

I didn’t buy it on the spot. I wanted to sleep on it and quite frankly a second opinion from an employee at another store because it could be like a $500+ swing, you know what I mean? I couldn’t recall the RAM but the website said this:

1581D826-A876-4EC3-8243-0C5774E79850.png
891E7880-87D0-4615-A0EE-055BC9916578.png

What would you use the iPad for?

I got the 11" pro. I got it for sketching / design. Most would've gotten the 12.9" for that, but it just seemed too cumbersome.

What I liked about the new Pros were: USB-C charger / port which is what I already have with my Pixel. Also the better speakers, and you need the Pro to use the "new" apple pencil 2 (can't use the pencil 1 with new iPads, can't use pencil 2 with old iPads). Plus the no bezel design looks better

I have an XS Max and could never go back to a bezel but it had to at least be considered. I travel a lot for work so my plan is to use that on trains, especially, and planes since it seems more practical than a laptop than me for that purpose. But when I need to whip up a PowerPoint or Excel, it’s all MBP. I also hate that when using my phone, I have to go back and forth. I feel my setup will be far more seamless now.

RE: USB-C. He told me they might be working on a way so you could use a mouse. I was playing around with one in the store and the whole keyboard with no mouse thing felt weird at first :lol: . Did you get the keyboard too? What about Apple Care? This **** is getting real expensive, real quick :lol:

Oh yeah, I lost my AirPods recently :smile:smh:smile: and they had some PowerBeats Pro Totally Wireless that he let me try them on. So much better in terms of slippage however they are much bigger and so is the case. The bulge in my pocket was obnoxious (pause). They come in black, ivory, navy or moss. He also hinted colored (particularly black) AirPods may be on the way as well.

I have an XS Max and could never go back to a bezel but it had to at least be considered. I travel a lot for work so my plan is to use that on trains, especially, and planes since it seems more practical than a laptop than me for that purpose. But when I need to whip up a PowerPoint or Excel, it’s all MBP. I also hate that when using my phone, I have to go back and forth. I feel my setup will be far more seamless now.

RE: USB-C. He told me they might be working on a way so you could use a mouse. I was playing around with one in the store and the whole keyboard with no mouse thing felt weird at first :lol: . Did you get the keyboard too? What about Apple Care? This **** is getting real expensive, real quick :lol:

No keyboard for me. The apple one doesn't get that great of reviews and too expensive for what it is. If I did get one, I'd get the Logitech version most likely. Or a company called Bridgeport makes a "dock" style keyboard that makes it look like a MacBook... But then what's the point of it being a tablet.

I just got a magnetic folding fabric case off of Amazon. Use the on screen keyboard, which sucks. Hopefully the new iPadOS Swype keyboard is better.

Congrats on 10 years! That’s the type of longevity that I am hoping to achieve.

I didn’t buy it on the spot. I wanted to sleep on it and quite frankly a second opinion from an employee at another store because it could be like a $500+ swing, you know what I mean? I couldn’t recall the RAM but the website said this:

1581D826-A876-4EC3-8243-0C5774E79850.png
891E7880-87D0-4615-A0EE-055BC9916578.png

I would absolutely recommend upgrading the RAM from 8GB.

I have the $1799 that came out last month, I would recommend it if you plan on keeping this thing for years. My apologies about the entry level MBP, didnt realize they were using such an outdated CPU in it

No keyboard for me. The apple one doesn't get that great of reviews and too expensive for what it is. If I did get one, I'd get the Logitech version most likely. Or a company called Bridgeport makes a "dock" style keyboard that makes it look like a MacBook... But then what's the point of it being a tablet.

I just got a magnetic folding fabric case off of Amazon. Use the on screen keyboard, which sucks. Hopefully the new iPadOS Swype keyboard is better.

I know that I’m definitely going to want/need so I’ll have to look into these alternatives, thanks for the recommendations!

I would absolutely recommend upgrading the RAM from 8GB.

Even if I’m getting the 2019 version?

I have the $1799 that came out last month, I would recommend it if you plan on keeping this thing for years. My apologies about the entry level MBP, didnt realize they were using such an outdated CPU in it

No worries! The sales associate that assisted me was aware and perplexed as well. Per the comment above, did you upgrade the RAM? Part of me is really thinking “Well...I’ve already come this far so I might as well go all the way” but I’m curious as to which you selected and what your experience has been.

I mean we’ve hit all the devices except this one so I might as well...are all of you rocking Apple Watches? Thoughts?

Nope, I kept it at 8GB (which I would call a sweet spot for casual computing). I have 16GB in my work one and never approach using all of it in any of my workflows

I know that I’m definitely going to want/need so I’ll have to look into these alternatives, thanks for the recommendations!

Even if I’m getting the 2019 version?

No worries! The sales associate that assisted me was aware and perplexed as well. Per the comment above, did you upgrade the RAM? Part of me is really thinking “Well...I’ve already come this far so I might as well go all the way” but I’m curious as to which you selected and what your experience has been.
Yeah, especially if you're really trying to keep the machine for 5+ years. Casual use can push up to 6GB of RAM nowadays, so just imagine a few years down the road. Imo, for your usage you won't really benefit from the newer processor. Web browsing, document editing, and streaming video aren't too processor intensive. But you can never have enough RAM, and it's not upgradeable after purchase in modern MacBooks.

Yeah, especially if you're really trying to keep the machine for 5+ years. Casual use can push up to 6GB of RAM nowadays, so just imagine a few years down the road. Imo, for your usage you won't really benefit from the newer processor. Web browsing, document editing, and streaming video aren't too processor intensive. But you can never have enough RAM, and it's not upgradeable after purchase in modern MacBooks.

It sounds like no matter what, the RAM upgrade is the move but I’ll need to ponder about which MBP. Here I was thinking I’d get this all done for ~$2K and the got damb laptop alone may cost that much:wow: :sick::smh::stoneface: :lol:

It sounds like no matter what, the RAM upgrade is the move but I’ll need to ponder about which MBP. Here I was thinking I’d get this all done for ~$2K and the got damb laptop alone may cost that much:wow: :sick::smh::stoneface: :lol:
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous in cost. I bough the 1st wave of the new MBP and regret it so much. For the price of my 13", I could've bought the previous 15" MBP with max RAM for the same price. I went for the 'new'. I'm so dumb.

I like my 13" though. Does what it needs to do...Just wish my screen was a tad bigger. Most likely will resolve that issue with a monitor.
I mean we’ve hit all the devices except this one so I might as well...are all of you rocking Apple Watches? Thoughts?
I have a Series 1 Apple Watch and I don't wear it consistently. Convenient when reading texts, emails, and answering quick calls. But other than that? Meh.

Does anyone with the powerbeats pro know if you can turn them on without them coming from the case? I bought a pair Saturday and feel like I don't want to charge them after every use by putting them back in the case. Supposedly that's one way of putting them to sleep, but then they also say you can take them out and use them during the day without needing the case. So, how?

I have a pair and from everything I've read and tried myself once you take them both out of your ear and aren't moving they are essentially in the sleep mode. They turn back on once you start moving again or put them in your ears

I have a pair and from everything I've read and tried myself once you take them both out of your ear and aren't moving they are essentially in the sleep mode. They turn back on once you start moving again or put them in your ears

Are you guys talking about the Totally Wireless? You fans? I’m still going to cop but that case is OD. Do you put it in your pants pocket comfortably?

Back
Top Bottom