Team nekkid or with a case?

• Team nekkid

Votes: 119 26.3%
  • Case

Votes: 279 61.6%
  • Nekkid with occasional case

Votes: 55 12.1%

• Total voters
Man I'm so confused about the trade in offer on ATT. Currently on NEXT now and able to upgrade if I turn in my phone. Idk if I qualify or how to go about ordering it and using the trade in. It's only in store?

I think these trade in offers are mostly aimed at people who wouldn't usually have an upgrade.

If you already have an upgrade, then I don't see why you would take advantage of this new current offer

Contracts don't exist anymore, so even if you do qualify for an upgrade you can't pay $200 and upgrade to the newest phone.

Man I'm so confused about the trade in offer on ATT. Currently on NEXT now and able to upgrade if I turn in my phone. Idk if I qualify or how to go about ordering it and using the trade in. It's only in store?

I thought about doing the trade in, but I like making sure I have a spare phone.

The deal doesn't seem to be bad at all though if you plan on keeping it two years. But I'm doing Next Every Year.

Were coming out of our 2 year contract with ATT on a grandfathered unlimited plan. However, the only option I see for my wife and I is to pay like you said some $1500+ on 2 iPhone 7 or add some $60 a month to our monthly bill. I don't know if its marketing or a fine line Im missing to get a credit back each month but no way are we dropping that much $ on either option. Thats crazy.

It used to be $299 an iPhone, you bought it and paid your monthly dues. Now its drop $1700+ and pay additional $ on top of your monthly dues. Am I seeing this wrong or is that a correct scenario?

I'm pretty much on the same boat as you. ATT is offering something like Verizon (here) but you have to be on the AT&T Next or AT&T Next Every Year. Not sure by being on this will void the grandfathered unlimited plan. I just bought all my phones outright to avoid this mess.

The way it works now is you pay for your phone and your service. No more subsidizing phones, either way you pay for your phone in full or do a monthly payment option you end up paying for the phone in full or half of the phone after 12 months. Unless your doing a trade in deal you aren't paying full price for the phone. Thing is those trade in deals it looks like it puts you into a worst plan than you currently have. Its a trade off.

Subsidizing phones weren't making the phone companies enough money. We were coming up with contracts, pay $200 for a phone that retailed at $600 and you owned it outright.

currently Amazon has a lot of great deals on cases and screen protectors, does anyone know how long they are doing this promotion?

I checked online briefly and didn't find an answer

considering a few on there as well as a leather apple case

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna go #TeamRaw or Leather Case on the 7 Plus.

Not sure if the Plus size phone is going to be easier or harder to drop for me. I don't usually drop my phones.

I'll just post this- I would suggest watching #2 on his list, as it involves the new home button.

I feel like a lot of people aren't noticing that the new home button doesn't click anymore. It's a solid-state button that gives you basically a vibrate feedback when you "push it". Other than that, the video is a decent rundown of new features for those who may be asking what's new.
Jet Black and Matte Black comparison from 1:03-1:46

I wish they would show the 7 in person for demo purposes at stores before the release date. Like the day after they do the keynote.

This vid makes the Jet Black a hard choice to keep on to.  I wanna see em in person.. 

I'm pretty much on the same boat as you. ATT is offering something like Verizon (here) but you have to be on the AT&T Next or AT&T Next Every Year. Not sure by being on this will void the grandfathered unlimited plan. I just bought all my phones outright to avoid this mess.

The way it works now is you pay for your phone and your service. No more subsidizing phones, either way you pay for your phone in full or do a monthly payment option you end up paying for the phone in full or half of the phone after 12 months. Unless your doing a trade in deal you aren't paying full price for the phone. Thing is those trade in deals it looks like it puts you into a worst plan than you currently have. Its a trade off.

Subsidizing phones weren't making the phone companies enough money. We were coming up with contracts, pay $200 for a phone that retailed at $600 and you owned it outright.
I'm so confused too. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I like that deal though. Which I don't understand how they can offer that when they want you to pay in full or pay monthly installments. Why suddenly would they be willing to give a 7 to you for free? Then you have Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program. Why would I do that instead of AT&Ts and vice versa?

Last edited:

I'm so confused too. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I like that deal though. Which I don't understand how they can offer that when they want you to pay in full or pay monthly installments. Why suddenly would they be willing to give a 7 to you for free? Then you have Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program. Why would I do that instead of AT&Ts and vice versa?
It's really not free you have to trade in an iPhone 6 or above to get the deal. Most likely you paid for the phone your trading in one way or another.

They take the phone you traded in then they sell it refurbished .

Yeah, but the last time I check an used iPhone 6 64GB wasn't worth $650. heheh

It's not, but they are getting paid TWICE lol . You paid em for the phone originally , now trading the phone back in and they are going to turn around and sell it for probably $400 refurbished.

Trust they are getting their money, they wouldn't be doing it if they weren't.

How are you guys able to move to a 7 and only have your bill go up by a few dollars? The monthly cost for one phone is at least $20-30 added to your bill. Are you buying the phone first? Man I can't imagine dropping some $1500 just on 2 phones. That's crazy!

Were coming out of our 2 year contract with ATT on a grandfathered unlimited plan. However, the only option I see for my wife and I is to pay like you said some $1500+ on 2 iPhone 7 or add some $60 a month to our monthly bill. I don't know if its marketing or a fine line Im missing to get a credit back each month but no way are we dropping that much $ on either option. Thats crazy.

It used to be $299 an iPhone, you bought it and paid your monthly dues. Now its drop $1700+ and pay additional $ on top of your monthly dues. Am I seeing this wrong or is that a correct scenario?

I'm already paying monthly installments for my 6. When I got my 6, it was the newest one and the middle tier memory.

I'm getting the 7 Plus, 128GB. The newest one, middle tier memory. I'm just paying the difference from regular size to Plus.

So if my 6 is $20 a month (example) I'm already paying, and the 7 Plus is $29 a month, my bills only going up $9.

My bill is already over $100. And that's with 6GB of data and a 20% work discount.

Yeah I'm on AT&T and coming it 2 year contract, so this my first time signing up with Next (ever year) program. How you save money on your monthly bill is TURN in your old phone (6 or 6s) and then five you 650 credit towards your new phone (I got iPhone 7+ 128 GB) so that's 869 phone. So I have to pay the additional 220 (monthly bill for 12-24 months). So it only ended up by like 7-9 bucks a month extra on my bill. I still have my grandfather unlimited data plan also. Also it you have direct tv they have additional deals/promo.

It's not, but they are getting paid TWICE lol . You paid em for the phone originally , now trading the phone back in and they are going to turn around and sell it for probably $400 refurbished.

Trust they are getting their money, they wouldn't be doing it if they weren't.
^ you payin em twice b.

#Finessed
Ok, that makes sense. Do you guys know if you can keep your unlimited plan or if you have to drop it to do that?

Yeah I'm on AT&T and coming it 2 year contract, so this my first time signing up with Next (ever year) program. How you save money on your monthly bill is TURN in your old phone (6 or 6s) and then five you 650 credit towards your new phone (I got iPhone 7+ 128 GB) so that's 869 phone. So I have to pay the additional 220 (monthly bill for 12-24 months). So it only ended up by like 7-9 bucks a month extra on my bill. I still have my grandfather unlimited data plan also. Also it you have direct tv they have additional deals/promo.
How do you still have have your grandfathered plan on Next? Those are 2 separate plans.

The unlimited plan is a very bad deal compared to the ATT x DirecTV unlimited plan.

Our bill dropped from $220 to $140 with the new unlimited plan.

I'm going with the Apple Upgrade program to keep my unlimited plan.

Last edited:
No matter what they say, someone somewhere in Customer Service can keep it for you. That's why I left AT&T.

I needed my own line, I had to leave my family's plan with AT&T. I was calling AT&T to see if they'd keep my unlimited Data to keep me in their service. Initially, both the mall booth and their customer service line told me no, that if I was getting my own line then it'd be a new plan and I couldn't grandfather in.

But once I said "Well, then I'm going to have to go to Verizon. I was going to stay for the Unlimited Data but if you can't offer it then I'm going. Please cancel my account."

All of a sudden, LITERALLY, "Sir, I just learned that we can actually keep your unlimited data plan. Same price. Would you like your own line with us?"

Me- "nope. I'm good. please cancel."

I don't like companies that lie to me when I ask questions.. especially when it involves my money. I'll pass.

Att aint paying Apple retail for these phones. Like some said, the phone aint free your are turning in a phone you have paid monthly for. Hypothetically, if youve had your phone year and paid $30 a month you have paid $360. So your paying $360 for the 7. What I dont know is if they make you start over.

Last edited:
I am glad i am not the only one confused by ATT.

I am on the grandfathered unlimited data plan as well. Although im keeping my iphone 6 and waiting for the 8 i always stay in touch so i know what to do when i want to upgrade. And it is looking like the answer is don't mess with ATT and do the apple upgrade plan or buy the phone out right.

I don't have direct TV so that isn't an option. But from what i understand there is no way to stay on unlimited data and get the ATT next plan.

is this table relevant or make sense? like why pay the down payment plan....15.17 x 12 = 182.04 and 21.67 x 12 = 260.4 the difference is 78 not $195. Is ATT next 2 years? making it spread over 24 months...im paying 0 attention to this table i just found it online and got more confused by it

View media item 2163505

Last edited:
Hmm, true. However, then we get back to the issue of having to pay $700ish dollars per iPhone. UGH.

Any thoughts then AT&T Next vs iPhone Upgrade Program when you're on the Grandfathered Unlimited Plan?

Hmm, true. However, then we get back to the issue of having to pay $700ish dollars per iPhone. UGH.

Any thoughts then AT&T Next vs iPhone Upgrade Program when you're on the Grandfathered Unlimited Plan?

If you upgrade every year you are paying half the price of the phone $350. So paying $350 for a phone that cost $700 isn't that bad. The way things are set up now it is more beneficial to pay monthly and switch up yearly. Unless you are keeping the phone for atleast 3 to 4 years.

Unless you don't mind buying in full and selling every year. I don't think people are buying phones in full as much anymore. Why would they when they can get the same jump/next etc payment plan as you.

Last edited:
Thinking of trying out the "optimize photos" option on iCloud Photo Library to free up some more space. Is it actually worth it? I don't need it if imma get like 1GB :lol:

True. So once you go to the NEXT plan you have to drop the Grandfathered unlimited correct?

What benefit is there of going AT&T Next vs. Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program?

Last edited:
I am glad i am not the only one confused by ATT.

I am on the grandfathered unlimited data plan as well. Although im keeping my iphone 6 and waiting for the 8 i always stay in touch so i know what to do when i want to upgrade. And it is looking like the answer is don't mess with ATT and do the apple upgrade plan or buy the phone out right.

I don't have direct TV so that isn't an option. But from what i understand there is no way to stay on unlimited data and get the ATT next plan.

is this table relevant or make sense? like why pay the down payment plan....15.17 x 12 = 182.04 and 21.67 x 12 = 260.4 the difference is 78 not $195. Is ATT next 2 years? making it spread over 24 months...im paying 0 attention to this table i just found it online and got more confused by it

View media item 2163505
Not exactly sure but I swear I heard some ppl are on grandfathered unlimited with NEXT. Think I seen it on MacRumors

It's not just AT&T. All subsidy plans are extinct. Before you would get a $199 or $299 phone price by agreeing to stick to a specific carrier for 2 years. That's no longer the case. Now you're stuck with a carrier to pay off your phone unless you do the financing through apple.

Pretty much you can leave your carrier when you want cuz no one has contracts anymore however if you have a phone financed through their upgrade program you need to pay that off.

You're either leasing or buying phones for full prices now. There is no in between. I have my grandfathered unlimited data plane with AT&T and just did NEXT for my iphone 7. It's a month to month plan.

Just checked, my plan is $95 + 18% discount which is the best out there. I have directv but I switched it to my dad's name to get that free sunday ticket 8)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom