Are Elite Socks a "fad"?

What happened to wearing regular white and black socks? Everyone wants to draw attention to themselves with colorful socks that go to their.knees.
have u not seen the shoes nike/adidas/etc are releasing. theres gotta be some cool color socks to match the kicks... and to absorb our monies

TAN material :smh:

How?

This is about something

I don't think it's a fad, they might not remain as popular but they'll always be somewhat popular IMO

I got like 10 pairs, I always pay less than retail tho

They keep my legs warm in this cold weather :pimp:

Last edited:
Word about everyone who has them can't ball. I bought the quarter LeBrons for like $7 and tried them on....eh, its a cool everyday sock, but not enough padding for ball, to me. Haven't tried the 2 layer, but for $17 per pair I'll never try them :smh: . Picked up a pack of head tennis socks at costco, some thick high tops (hate high tops but they were cheap) I just double them up and fold them down when playing, MONEY. :smokin

Yes, they are a fad...people like to look cool...what can I say, nothing new. Since the beginning of times this has been the case :tongue:

Last edited:
pretty loaded question, OP. I've never been a fan of the "fashion" look of these socks or any socks for that matter. I personally wear standard, no-name-brand white cotton socks that come in bulk packages, and the occasional "no-show" ankle socks during the summer.

However, I just started playing in a competitive basketball league for the first time in 2-3 years. I normally wear the standard white cotton socks during casual pick up games, but after my first league game, my feet were killing me - blisters + general soreness. I've tried Thorlo socks in the past which were great for cushioning but the breathability was poor. I was going to re-up on a new pair of Thorlos, but the price point was $12-15, so tonight I put in an order for the Nike Elites.

I agree that $15 is too steep for me to make fashion statements with my socks. I just chose a basic white/black colorway. I'm hoping the functionality warrants the price. Might update if this thread continues. In the meantime, there seems to be plenty of positive reviews on comfort everywhere including on NT: http://niketalk.com/t/243042/whats-good-with-nike-elite-basketbal-crew-socks-socks-ftw

its becoming more of a fad but they're pretty comfy though. the quality of elite socks have gone down imo. my first pairs are made with a lot higher quality than the ones they're putting out now

For real man I had these way back in the day before everyone else had them and the quality has gone down hill, they are not the same anymore!

Just kidding :stoneface: :lol:

Yes. I heard they are comfy. But for $15? I'd rather spend money on something else. I've never been able to pull the trigger.

Maybe they arent worth the $15, but to say regular black and white socks or regular Nike socks is the same level of comfort is just...I mean cmon try the damn sock on. Theres a world of difference.
laugh.gif

$14 cash for ONE pair is not worth it to me. at all. its a complete ripoff. Only time im dropping money like that on socks is for snowboarding. That's it.

a pack of crews from the footlocker basket is all i need.

can't wear the same socks consecutively. 10 elite socks would amount to more than the 90% of the shoes at the nike factory store.

but i see you shinin diddy, money ain't a thang for you. ima let you cook. >D

got 2 pair

only got em because nike won't make the regular ones in the 2 colors I wanted

they're so over saturated with people wearing em I don't even use em

but they do help for shoes that fit slightly bigger, the socks are super thick to the point they're harder to take off and fit a lot tighter

Last edited:
its all hype ppl think if you rock those they help you perform better on the court or something but to me they just look cool id rock em for that reason only

if i was playing ball in them (at a competitive level), then MAYBE I could justify the price, but for a fashion statement? Nope.

I'll check them out when they're on clearance . . .

its all hype ppl think if you rock those they help you perform better on the court or something but to me they just look cool id rock em for that reason only
Punctuation man, had to read this like 3 times.

But no they arent suppose to help you perform per say, they are a lot more comfortable, saves your feet from aching after you play. Personally, they also help me "fill out" my sneaker more, I feel more secure.

Sometimes I wear them, sometimes I don't. Are they a fad?..... Well, isn't everything? And for the people who complain about price, you drop 160 no questions asked on shoes..... Nuff said.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wear them, sometimes I don't. Are they a fad?..... Well, isn't everything? And for the people who complain about price, you drop 160 no questions asked on shoes..... Nuff said.
Because shoes and socks are the same thing.

The shoes = ____ comparison is dumb and will always be. If you didn't spend 160 on shoes, you would on something else.

knee high socks and shorts.. only works on the court. not at your local malls. #hypebeast.

Back
Top Bottom