Are Filipinos considered Asian?

Originally Posted by 6dollaBURGER

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Originally Posted by hod

location wise: yes
culturally: no

The issue with this is that Black Americans and Africans share little, but they would both still mark "Black" on a form that says Black, White, etc right?
That only holds true if Black/White are the only selections (which pertain to color) and if American, African selections aren't, which is more closely to what we're discussing. 

a lot of us seem to think it's a cool thing to not be considered asians. 
laugh.gif

idc.. im Asian.. PM me if you have a problem with it. 

The issue with this is that Black Americans and Africans share little, but they would both still mark "Black" on a form that says Black, White, etc right?
That only holds true if Black/White are the only selections (which pertain to color) and if American, African selections aren't, which is more closely to what we're discussing. 
Don't understand what you're saying - I have never done a general questionnaire where 'American' was a selection. White is the same as Caucasian right - just trying to be more PC - but the end all it's only identifying by color. I'm not saying all lists only have Black or White, either.

Yes, Filipinos are Asian. Although, a vast majority claim, "no we're not Asian, we're Pacific Islanders". Which is funny, b/c Pacific Islanders are considered Asian as well, at least to the government that is.

Most Filipinos I've met considered themselves Pacific Islander and acted like I insulted their mom if I mentioned Asian. One guy even started calling me some racial slurs, but he probably felt like he could do whatever since there was about 30 of them and only 5 of us.

And I also have one Indian friend who is always referring to himself as being Asian.

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

All the Filipinos I know consider themselves Asian...

Same here.  I even took an Asian American Studies class and all of the Filipinos there considered themselves Asian as well.  I haven't met a Filipino that considered themselves a Pacific Islander, and I live in SoCal.  I am also Filipino and I consider myself Asian.

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

Most Filipinos I've met considered themselves Pacific Islander and acted like I insulted their mom if I mentioned Asian. One guy even started calling me some racial slurs, but he probably felt like he could do whatever since there was about 30 of them and only 5 of us.

And I also have one Indian friend who is always referring to himself as being Asian.

That one guy you encountered seemed to be an ignorant one. 

Originally Posted by imsleepy1234

JordanHead718212 wrote:

All the Filipinos I know consider themselves Asian...

Same here.  I even took an Asian American Studies class and all of the Filipinos there considered themselves Asian as well.  I haven't met a Filipino that considered themselves a Pacific Islander, and I live in SoCal.  I am also Filipino and I consider myself Asian.

Maybe that is a So Cal thing. Up here in the Bay, I would think most Filipinos consider themselves Pacific Islanders. I even had a Pacific Islander club at my high school cause they didn't want to be associated with the general Asian Student Union. I just thought that was so weird back in the 90's because I thought we were all asian.

Don't understand what you're saying - I have never done a general questionnaire where 'American' was a selection. White is the same as Caucasian right - just trying to be more PC - but the end all it's only identifying by color. I'm not saying all lists only have Black or White, either.
Because black and white is a color selection.  They arent choosing an origin or ethnic background like America/American, Africa African. 

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

roll.gif
@ identity crisis
i will repeat this question, do japanese people have a problem with saying theyre asian?

Japan wasn't recently occupied by America - the hegemony issue doesn't exist for them. "Identity Crisis" is a bit dramatic - "Identity Disconnected" would be more appropriate to me.

Because black and white is a color selection.  They arent choosing an origin or ethnic background like America/American, Africa African. 
Again, I've never seen "American" as a choice on ethnic background. I have also never seen "African" as a choice, least that I can recall - maybe our disconnect is that you get the more Politically Correct versions.

Again, I've never seen "American" as a choice on ethnic background. I have also never seen "African" as a choice, least that I can recall - maybe our disconnect is that you get the more Politically Correct versions.
See thats the thing, usually african americans will choose black, not african or american because there is not a choice.  But filipinos cant choose green, purple etc and could only choose origin/nationality like asian or pacific islander.  Only talking about the selections available for one to choose, nothing more. 

On the same subject..since a HUGE part of Russia and the WHOLE Middle East is in ASIA.

Are they asian as well?  
I don't understand why is there such as big deal about this Pacific Islander vs ASIAN...who cares.  
eyes.gif

Geographically, Filipinos are Asian. However, the mixed roots of indigenous people combined with heavy Chinese influence leaves a lot to argue.

Filipinos I've met everywhere else in the world consider themselves of Asian decent. Some Filipinos that I've met stateside (esp in LA/Bay), like to associate themselves with being Pacific Islander and argue their "tribal" roots.

Culturally, I've found Filipinos to be the heaviest assimilated group w/in the Asian culture. Most seem to be interested in adopting/siding with cultures outside of their own when it comes to discussing roots.

Personally, I don't give a rat's %%+.

Originally Posted by wHo NicE as HiM

to simply put it, fillipinos are asian the way dominicans are part african...they have taiwanese roots and genetic markers but throughout evolution and cultural change they've developed into their own classification 
philippines is evolutionary miscegenation....just like dominicans, italians, and moors (black arabs) the way

cameron diaz and jessica alba are hispanic...the way the rock is native american, they way mariah carey is white....

in a few million years humans will be mixed in appearance not just blood....there's only 2 pure races on this planet, a tribe of brazilians and a tribe of eskimos
everyone else shares the sames genes.
Enlighten me Italy....mixed with the Arabs, Greeks...?

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

This again?
30t6p3b.gif

Filipinos born and raised in the motherland (literate or illiterate) = Asian
Filipinos raised elsewhere looking for their own identity and refuse to be labeled Asian = Pacific Islanders
Quoting myself for those lazy to read back.

I've smashed a Filipino before, and I consider my quest to make love with An Asian woman still unfinished.

do filipinos born in other continents (europe, australia) consider themselves pacific islanders, or is just an american thing?

Back
Top Bottom