Are Filipinos considered Asian?

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

I don't think the OP's question is really that ludicrous. If you have any Filipino friends or are Filipino yourselves, you would know that there are some Filipinos out there that have the holier-than-thou attitude towards being called Asian to the point where it offends them and would snap back at you that they "are not Asian, but Pacific Islanders."
this 

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

Originally Posted by JD214

This is what I see...

http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac129/JD903/?action=view&current=filipino.jpg

laugh.gif

me too
laugh.gif
I bet yall clicked the ad too. 
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

This again?
30t6p3b.gif

Filipinos born and raised in the motherland (literate or illiterate) = Asian
Filipinos raised elsewhere looking for their own identity and refuse to be labeled Asian = Pacific Islanders
THIS. live in socal and youll meet tons of em...tryin to pass off as "hawaiian" or "pacific islander" to exoticize themselves. @##%. and yes, im filipino and asian if that matters.

and it's just lunch time over here, too. Might grab a burger later.
laugh.gif

Didn't know this was a big deal for some Filipinos over there. Weird.

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

This again?
30t6p3b.gif

Filipinos born and raised in the motherland (literate or illiterate) = Asian
Filipinos raised elsewhere looking for their own identity and refuse to be labeled Asian = Pacific Islanders
Well there you have it. Lets wrap this up people 

lol, i was thinking of something similar them i saw this thread
laugh.gif

Would you consider Portuguese people White or Hispanic? 

not the type to copy and paste but thisis a wiki on the genetic study of their origins.... me personally i went to the phillipines on a float while i was in Okinawa and i saw alot of people that could resemble some black folks too.... not even just young people..

Genetic studies

The Philippine Government has never conducted any recent genetic study of great statistical significance about the ancestry of the various Philippine ethnic groups, there have been some studies, based upon very small samples of the population, which provide clues as to their origins. The affordability of DNA testing kits for Y-DNA and mtDNA haplogroup verification has spurred the proliferation of public DNA databases such as those hosted by genetic genealogy companies.[51]

Filipino students from Lamitan.
A Stanford University study conducted during 2001 revealed that Haplogroup O3-M122 (labeled as "Haplogroup L" in this study) is the most common Y-chromosome DNA haplogroup found among Filipinos. This particular haplogroup is also predominant among Chinese, Koreans, and Vietnamese. Another haplogroup, Haplogroup O1a-M119 (labeled as "Haplogroup H" in this study), is also found among Filipinos. The rates of Haplogroup O1a are highest among the Taiwanese aborigines, and Chamic-speaking people. Genetic data found among a sampling of Filipinos may indicate some relation to the Ami tribe of Taiwan.[52]
A 2008 genetic study showed no evidence of a large-scale Taiwanese migration into the Philippine Islands. A study by Leeds University and published in Molecular Biology and Evolution, showed that mitochondrial DNA lineages have been evolving within Island Southeast Asia (ISEA) since modern humans arrived approximately 50,000 years ago. Population dispersals occurred at the same time as sea levels rose, which resulted in migrations from the Philippine Islands into Taiwan within the last 10,000 years.[53]
A 2002 China Medical University study indicated that some Filipinos shared genetic chromosome that is found among Asian people, such as Taiwanese aborigines, Indonesians, Thais, and Chinese.[54]
A variety of research study by the University of the Philippines, genetic chromosome were found in Filipinos which are shared by people from different parts of East Asia, and Southeast Asia. The predominant genotype detected was SC, the Southeast Asian genotype.[55]
Sinodonty and Sundadonty are two patterns, identified by anthropologist Christy Turner, for East Asia, within the "Mongoloid dental complex".[56] The latter is regarded as having a more generalised, Australoid morphology and having a longer ancestry than its offspring, Sinodonty. He found the Sundadont pattern in the J

Originally Posted by JJ Jumpman 23

laugh.gif

Hispanically White?
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

I'm Filipino, but don't really care to call myself Asian or Pacific Islander.

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

Originally Posted by JJ Jumpman 23

laugh.gif

Hispanically White?
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
I'm Portuguese (half) and many of us are white. The others...idk what the @#$% you would call them
laugh.gif
most of my relatives look Mexican/Middle Eastern due to our Moorish ancestry

Originally Posted by af1 1982

I consider myself Asian. But I say the only asian thing about me is that my country belongs to the continent. We are nothing like the stereotypical Asian. If anything, we are have more Spanish qualities than Asian qualities due to the significant influence the Spaniards have had over the country.
What is a stereotypical Asian? I'd love to see an answer for this. 
roll.gif

forreal though.  answer it.

hod wrote:
location wise: yes
culturally: no

What is Asian culture and how does Filipino culture differ?

Spaniards had an influence over the country for over 300 years. No country, period, could claim the same, aside from Spain. Filipinos are in a unique position culturally. The impression I get is that mainland Chinese Asians and their heirs consider Filipinos frauds when really they were the victims of war and colonization.

Well, just to give you an insight as to how the rest of the world view them, that website has a slight name change this side of the pond (I'm in UK btw)

I'm Filipino and I consider myself Asian. But we're special since we have our own bubble sometimes when something asks for a person's nationality, just like some of the standardized tests here in California.

well if youre following the spirit of this thread, portuguese and spaniards are european. whether you want to equate that to "white" is up to you

Smh @ the DNA studies. What a waste of time. Also, pre-spanish filipinos were highly influenced by Indian, Malaysian and tawainese trade. Islam and Hindu were the main religions before Spanish catholicism even arrived.

My opinion. Dumb debate. Asian is geographical. But let's just say the Philippines was the first melting pot, even pre-span.

indifferent.gif
 At those of you who think Filipinos are considered Asians....

There are 8 continents: N. America, S. America, Europe, Africa, Australia, Antarctica, Asia, aaaaaaaaaand of course the Pacific Islands

grin.gif

I don't know about the Asian community but from the outside looking in they are Asian.

Why wouldn't they be considered as such?

Originally Posted by DecemberLove

indifferent.gif
 At those of you who think Filipinos are considered Asians....

There are 8 continents: N. America, S. America, Europe, Africa, Australia, Antarctica, Asia, aaaaaaaaaand of course the Pacific Islands

grin.gif
images

Back
Top Bottom