are rap/hiphop fans the least educated in their genre's history

stop it man.. nwa, biggie, nas, tupac, you can go on. i think we can all agree there are a few hip hop essentials, even if we can't agree on what they all are.

nah im sayin that there is no infrastructure.

ie. Classic Rock radio is way way more ubiquitous than classic rap.

baby boomers have had control of the culture for so long, classic rock gets weaved into so many things.

so many books, movies, and tv shows use classic rock as a the spine of the story.

So if you are a young kid it's way easier for you to stumble upon classic rock than it is for you to stumble upon classic rap.

Last edited:
nah im sayin that there is no infrastructure.

ie. Classic Rock radio is way way more ubiquitous than classic rap.

baby boomers have had control of the culture for so long, classic rock gets weaved into so many things.

so many books, movies, and tv shows use classic rock as a the spine of the story.

So if you are a young kid it's way easier for you to stumble upon classic rock than it is for you to stumble upon classic rap.
my b i took your post differently. i agree with those points but that's something that will change, and has been changing, with time. as the art form grows and evolves and more and more generations came up listening to it, it'll only be a matter of time until it reaches that point. some would argue that it's there already. 

I disagree. The reason "classic" rap isnt accessable is because of the ignorance of most rap fans. A majority of rap fans are casual music fans. "I like to hear it in the club when in drunk" and the music reflects that.

I disagree. The reason "classic" rap isnt accessable is because of the ignorance of most rap fans. A majority of rap fans are casual music fans. "I like to hear it in the club when in drunk" and the music reflects that.

/Thread

didn't realize this was an old thread till i got to this page and see the person who replied first bumped this thread and contradicted himself

The spirit of the music has changed a lot too. It was mostly about positivity and and fighting the system back then, now it's about spending money, taking someone's girl, pouring up and/or toting choppers. The same struggle isn't there, so kids don't appreciate the music that represented the struggle.

THIS
The spirit of the music has changed a lot too. It was mostly about positivity and and fighting the system back then, now it's about spending money, taking someone's girl, pouring up and/or toting choppers. The same struggle isn't there, so kids don't appreciate the music that represented the struggle.

AND THIS

didn't realize this was an old thread till i got to this page and see the person who replied first bumped this thread and contradicted himself

lol @ contradicted himself

cause i said who cares about obscure rap trivia?

what impact does knowing cam'ron was in children of the corn have on your grasp of hip hop/rap as an art form, overall?

none.

knowing who rakim is and his impact on rap is basic rap knowledge.

you definitely suck at rhyming if you never heard of rakim.

you could be a huge cam'ron fan and MAY not know he once rapped with big L bloodshed and ma$e as a teenager

but you could still study his craft and build your knowledge of the art form.

not knowing eminem was once in the outsidaz with rah d**** is obscure and non-important

think of it like this

if it was art instead of rap,

OP brought up questions like "could you name 4 impressionists?"

and my point is artists should know who van gogh is (and most do)

artists/fans of art you would expose to van gogh for the first time also wouldn't say "DAMN HE OLD. HIS ART SUCKS, LOL"

they would learn from his craft.

other genres of music have this continuity. kids today can pick up old rock songs and appreciate the...guitars, i guess.

rap fans get caught up in all the wrong things....they have favorite rappers for the same reason kids have favorite wrestlers.

Rap fans are stupid, period

I've been saying it for years

They do silly **** like argue for hours over regions

Rap fans are the only fans who dismiss work prior to when they started listening to it.

In other genres, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Bob Marley, Michael Jackson, John Coltrane, James Brown you're put on pedestals

da glitz & glamour was there since day one.

word to rappers idolizing da local drug dealers with da gold ropes & kangols, and caddies, benzes, etc.

da glitz & glamour was there since day one.

word to rappers idolizing da local drug dealers with da gold ropes & kangols, and caddies, benzes, etc.
yeah but it was different, there was a struggle to get to where your were at.. now everybody comes out as the local kingpin... why are you rapping if youre already rich????

yeah but it was different, there was a struggle to get to where your were at.. now everybody comes out as the local kingpin... why are you rapping if youre already rich????

that angle of "i been rich before rap" been exploited heavily too....its a way to enlarge your street cred and almost habe a smug arrogance about your rapping cuz u can couch your shtick as "its just a hobby, vuz im that nice"..see cuban linx & reasonable doubt.

There are fans like that for every genre...mostly young kids

But it's a lot more common to see Rap fans that are proudly ignorant and dismissive of the genre's past

It's probably like 50/50. Most rappers are low key smart. The getting arrested with weapons is just the extras.

Last edited:
A vast majority of Rap fans are stupid, period

I've been saying it for years

They do silly **** like argue for hours over regions

Rap fans are the only fans who dismiss work prior to when they started listening to it.

In other genres, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Bob Marley, Michael Jackson, John Coltrane, James Brown you're put on pedestals
Fixed

Back
Top Bottom