Armando Galarraga, Tigers, robbed by Jim Joyce

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by CelticsPride34

Originally Posted by Durden7

Giving each manager a chance to review another play if they got the first one right is just asking for problems.  IF they do get to review a play, it should be one a game.

Baseball is just such a different sport than all the others so it doesnt suit well for replays.  What happens if there men on base, a line drive to the outside, the outfielder "catches" the ball and its reviewed.  Now what do you do when its overturned and it was a trap.  Where do the runners go?  If the man was stealing does he get an extra base?  How is it scored?

Theres just too many variables for replay to work in baseball.  It works for homeruns because its easy to call.  Its either a homerun, or its a foul ball.  There are no runners to be concerned about and there are no outs recorded either way.
Do what the umps do when fan interference is called: make the best educated guess as to if a run would have scored or not, or put the men back on base if it obvious they would not have been able to move up. I see your point, but I just think there is to much to be gained in the long wrong, and we both know neither of us is going to agree with each other.
Fair analogy, but isnt a best educated guess equal to or even worse than what they do currently without replay?

It all comes full circle and it ends up creating more problems than solutions.

I would have liked to see him get the perfect game yesterday just as much as everyone else, but to become a prisoner of the moment and totally revamp how the game is played seems like a reactionary move.

This was a time when replay would have been needed, but is an out call at first base in the 5th inning of a 6-4 game really needed?  I personally dont think so.

that's why i say it should be left up to the umpires discretion if they should watch the replay or not. However that would only work if the umps themselves would get outta their own *** and be open to the fact that they may be wrong on occasion. they have to be able to say, you know what im not completely certain i got the call, and in this instance its worth getting it right.

Fair analogy, but isnt a best educated guess equal to or even worse than what they do currently without replay?

I would have liked to see him get the perfect game yesterday just as much as everyone else, but to become a prisoner of the moment and totally revamp how the game is played seems like a reactionary move.

This was a time when replay would have been needed, but is an out call at first base in the 5th inning of a 6-4 game really needed?  I personally dont think so.

So if its in a Red Sox/Rays game, where that one game might/could/will decide who makes the post season. I understand that you can't have one game define a season, but when 3 teams in the AL east might win 95+ games, one game is that can make the difference between winning the east, winning the Wild Card, or acting like the cubs

eh....You don't think that people will remember this way more than any other "plain ole" perfect game?
people's memories are fickle... I bet 95% of baseball fans wouldn't be able to tell you who else threw perfect games in the last 2 yrs

talk about a rough day back to work
frown.gif

I have no reason to complain about my day at ALL

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

eh....You don't think that people will remember this way more than any other "plain ole" perfect game?
people's memories are fickle... I bet 95% of baseball fans wouldn't be able to tell you who else threw perfect games in the last 2 yrs

AG, Doc, Dallas, Buerle, Randy Johnson, David wells, David Cone, Kenny Rogers. Going back till 94, no wiki help. Plus Moose's 9.2 perfect against the Sox that Carl Everett broke up with 2 strikes, 9/02/01 I  think, second best pitch game I've ever watched, besides RJ's perfecto against the Braves. And no such thing as "plain ole", 20, plus Pedro's that he lost in the 10th inning, and AG's,  in the 120+ year history of baseball, starting, I think, with Cy Young with the Providence Greys. I think I need a life mow...
ohwell.gif

Technology has made umpires useless in the game of baseball...With each blown call its making it more obvious. Channels even stopped using the pitch tracker in an effort to stop undermining the umpires inefficiency. The solution to baseballs problems is right there in front of their faces but they wont change it just to ensure that these smug bastards keep their jobs? Yeah thats good for the game. They won't use instant replay so whats the point of having these 100 ft screens in every ballpark? LMAO. MLB had the chance to do the right thing, rewrite the rules a little bit and award that kid his perfect game all the while bringing some positivity to the tainted aura of baseball and they didnt do it. Shameful.

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

Technology has made umpires useless in the game of baseball...With each blown call its making it more obvious. Channels even stopped using the pitch tracker in an effort to stop undermining the umpires inefficiency. The solution to baseballs problems is right there in front of their faces but they wont change it just to ensure that these smug bastards keep their jobs? Yeah thats good for the game. They won't use instant replay so whats the point of having these 100 ft screens in every ballpark? LMAO. MLB had the chance to do the right thing, rewrite the rules a little bit and award that kid his perfect game all the while bringing some positivity to the tainted aura of baseball and they didnt do it. Shameful.
So you're saying put hundreds of people who have dedicated their lives to officiating baseball games out of work just so we have exact calls? That's kind of you. It really is. You act like umpiring in the past decade has been handled as poorly as Tara Reid's breast augmentation. For the most part umps do an excellent job (with exception to Angel Hernandez), and when there is a bad call made, it usually doesn't have that large of an impact on the game. Yesterday was an exception, but in the grander scheme of things it didn't cost the Tigers the game.

I still cannot believe you're advocating these men to lose their jobs in favor of technology. As if waiting to analyze a replay to decipher whether a guy's out or safe, or if the pitcher threw a ball or strike would quicken the game.

AG, Doc, Dallas, Buerle, Randy Johnson, David wells, David Cone, Kenny Rogers. Going back till 94, no wiki help. Plus Moose's 9.2 perfect against the Sox that Carl Everett broke up with 2 strikes, 9/02/01 I  think, second best pitch game I've ever watched, besides RJ's perfecto against the Braves. And no such thing as "plain ole", 20, plus Pedro's that he lost in the 10th inning, and AG's,  in the 120+ year history of baseball, starting, I think, with Cy Young with the Providence Greys. I think I need a life mow...
ohwell.gif
so youre in that 5%...but for the rest of the general public..this story will have more legs than a perfect game

So if its in a Red Sox/Rays game, where that one game might/could/will decide who makes the post season. I understand that you can't have one game define a season, but when 3 teams in the AL east might win 95+ games, one game is that can make the difference between winning the east, winning the Wild Card, or acting like the cubs
But its the 5th inning.  Theres still more of the game to play to win/lose.  Theres 181 other games that could have gone the other way and changed the standings.

I dont think replay should even be used in the first 7 innings.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Class act by Jim Joyce....He was genuinely sorry for what he has done, and Galarraga has gone bout the situation the rite way....Nobody's perfect[/color]

Originally Posted by JordanDon23

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Class act by Jim Joyce....He was genuinely sorry for what he has done, and Galarraga has gone bout the situation the rite way....[/color][color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Nobody's perfect[/color]

Galarraga was.

DublBagn wrote:

but I need a few gifs made asap.........

nuclear bomb explosion, then joyce calling it safe........
someone juggling grenades, then joyce calling it safe
someone playing russian roulette, then joyce calling it safe

you get the picture.....where is crank lucas when you need him? I need the gif train to start rolling out on this....

those gifs need to be made
roll.gif

ohwell.gif
so youre in that 5%...but for the rest of the general public..this story will have more legs than a perfect game

and what does that mean? just because your story gets more recognized doesn't always mean its a good thing...hes always going to be that guy who didn't get the perfect game... the wack thing is the umpire messed up so bad he didn't even get a no hitter out of it...the commissioner is lame for not reversing this call and making it a perfect game...and even if he did reverse the call its not like that pitcher can relive the memory of actually getting the perfect game because its already over... similar situation at my college graduation my name wasn't on the program and my parents thought i didn't graduate
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom