Armando Galarraga, Tigers, robbed by Jim Joyce

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

.this is prob the best thing that could happen to them both...publicity wise.
Seriously

This is bigger than the other 2 official perfect games. And it will be talked in the same breathe as the other 2 as well IMO.                      

Watching Jim Joyce during the pregame home plate meeting, and his interview after was really cool. I feel bad for the guy. Class act.

hell no
Armando throwing the perfecto then giving the ball to a little kid would be far and above the respectfulness he showed for everyone involved. But after having 20 hours or so to digest what happened, from having my hands on my head, like every Tiger in the dugout, to wishing pain for Joyce, to the sorrow for AG, there is only one person truly at fault:

bud-selig.jpg

For him to have the gall to think that baseball would not benefit from extended instant replay is one of the more asinine things to ever come out the mouth of a commissioner of a major sports league. I understand the "human element" part of the game, and you know what that is: the players busting there butts and making the game enjoyable. bring in replay for pretty much everything except balls/strikes/check swings/balks. if the center fielder makes a diving play, but the umps doesn't know if it was snow coned or trapped, then review it. The "human element" would remain, because it would be up to the ump to decide whether or not the play needs to be reviewed. Also, give each manager one "challenge" a game, and if the manager is correct, he gets another, and so on. What Jim Joyce actually did last night prevented AG from having one of the 23 (20 perfect games +AG's "perfect" + Pedro's perfect game he lost in the 10th + Jack Morris WS game) best pitched games in the 120+ years organized MLB has existed, but it should have never been up to his incompetence either.

It is such a solid race for worst commish between Selig and Bettman. Terrrrrrible (Bill Walton voice)

Originally Posted by CelticsPride34

hell no
Armando throwing the perfecto then giving the ball to a little kid would be far and above the respectfulness he showed for everyone involved. But after having 20 hours or so to digest what happened, from having my hands on my head, like every Tiger in the dugout, to wishing pain for Joyce, to the sorrow for AG, there is only one person truly at fault:

bud-selig.jpg

For him to have the gall to think that baseball would not benefit from extended instant replay is one of the more asinine things to ever come out the mouth of a commissioner of a major sports league. I understand the "human element" part of the game, and you know what that is: the players busting there butts and making the game enjoyable. bring in replay for pretty much everything except balls/strikes/check swings/balks. if the center fielder makes a diving play, but the umps doesn't know if it was snow coned or trapped, then review it. The "human element" would remain, because it would be up to the ump to decide whether or not the play needs to be reviewed. Also, give each manager one "challenge" a game, and if the manager is correct, he gets another, and so on. What Jim Joyce actually did last night prevented AG from having one of the 23 (20 perfect games +AG's "perfect" + Pedro's perfect game he lost in the 10th + Jack Morris WS game) best pitched games in the 120+ years organized MLB has existed, but it should have never been up to his incompetence either.

Seligs fault?

roll.gif

You dont get it.

To everyone whos crying for a replay system in baseball................. be careful what you wish for.  Replays in baseball will do more harm than good. 

what I am really pissed off about is Bud didnt even acknowledge Gal's perfect game
sure there is the human element of the game but the man was perfect in that game.
its like throwing an innocent man in prison only to find out hes innocent but you still have him locked up
and whats the arguement here? a judge is human and shouldn't be allowed to overturn his sentences
once that mallet goes down its written in stone
THAT IS FN BULL
F BUD

Originally Posted by Durden7

Seligs fault?

roll.gif

You dont get it.

To everyone whos crying for a replay system in baseball................. be careful what you wish for.  Replays in baseball will do more harm than good. 

no, you don't get it. the average game starts at 7pm and ends at 10pm. if it takes an additional 5 minutes a game, which would be lowered a ton once proper locations are set, i'll take it as long as the umps don't decide the outcome of the game. and didn't people say replays would hurt the game of football? and didn't those same people say it would hurt the game of basketball? and didn't those same  people say that HR reviews would hurt the game of baseball?

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

all ima say is this, how do you think Dallas Braden would've handled losing his perfect game on a last out missed close call like that

Ejected at minimum.....and people would hate him more than they already do for being a db.

all ima say is this, how do you think Dallas Braden would've handled losing his perfect game on a last out missed close call like that
smokin.gif

Ump  would've been  shook and would  have  called a homer a foul ball. That's how they do in   the 209

he would have punched the ump square in the nose

Seligs fault?

roll.gif

You dont get it.

no, you don't get it. the average game starts at 7pm and ends at 10pm. if it takes an additional 5 minutes a game, which would be lowered a ton once proper locations are set, i'll take it as long as the umps don't decide the outcome of the game. and didn't people say replays would hurt the game of football? and didn't those same people say it would hurt the game of basketball? and didn't those same  people say that HR reviews would hurt the game of baseball?
You cant compare sports in this situation.  Baseball is totally different from all other sports.  Replay is SO difficult to do in baseball.  It will create a ton of problems.

*claps hands*
Props to that Umpire.That was some grown man %%%% he did by publicly admitting that he was wrong.No excuses just an "I %$!+$! up" and he apologized directly to the pitcher.Mad heads can learn something from this man.
Congrats to the pitcher as well on his performance.

I hope Braden is asked how he would react, because I think he would give an honest answer.

He would probably flip the !%*$ out.

Seligs fault?

roll.gif

You dont get it.

You cant compare sports in this situation.  Baseball is totally different from all other sports.  Replay is SO difficult to do in baseball.  It will create a ton of problems.

I think you can. Actually, the umps don't even have to be the ones doing the reviews. Have one "impartial" person watch every game, they don't even have to be at the ballpark, make the final decision. The umpire wouldn't even have to leave the field (maybe dugout) and should be a relatively quick decision. Like I said before, give each manager a "red flag" that can be used untill they are wrong, and let the umps make the decision to review a play if they deem it needed. No strikes/balls/checks/balks included, and maybe throw to first as well. Even if they do 4 reviews a game, its worth getting it right.

Seligs fault?

roll.gif

You dont get it.

I think you can. Actually, the umps don't even have to be the ones doing the reviews. Have one "impartial" person watch every game, they don't even have to be at the ballpark, make the final decision. The umpire wouldn't even have to leave the field (maybe dugout) and should be a relatively quick decision. Like I said before, give each manager a "red flag" that can be used untill they are wrong, and let the umps make the decision to review a play if they deem it needed. No strikes/balls/checks/balks included, and maybe throw to first as well. Even if they do 4 reviews a game, its worth getting it right.

Giving each manager a chance to review another play if they got the first one right is just asking for problems.  IF they do get to review a play, it should be one a game.

Baseball is just such a different sport than all the others so it doesnt suit well for replays.  What happens if there men on base, a line drive to the outside, the outfielder "catches" the ball and its reviewed.  Now what do you do when its overturned and it was a trap.  Where do the runners go?  If the man was stealing does he get an extra base?  How is it scored?

Theres just too many variables for replay to work in baseball.  It works for homeruns because its easy to call.  Its either a homerun, or its a foul ball.  There are no runners to be concerned about and there are no outs recorded either way.

Giving each manager a chance to review another play if they got the first one right is just asking for problems.  IF they do get to review a play, it should be one a game.

Baseball is just such a different sport than all the others so it doesnt suit well for replays.  What happens if there men on base, a line drive to the outside, the outfielder "catches" the ball and its reviewed.  Now what do you do when its overturned and it was a trap.  Where do the runners go?  If the man was stealing does he get an extra base?  How is it scored?

Theres just too many variables for replay to work in baseball.  It works for homeruns because its easy to call.  Its either a homerun, or its a foul ball.  There are no runners to be concerned about and there are no outs recorded either way.

Do what the umps do when fan interference is called: make the best educated guess as to if a run would have scored or not, or put the men back on base if it obvious they would not have been able to move up. I see your point, but I just think there is to much to be gained in the long wrong, and we both know neither of us is going to agree with each other.

i think it'd be able to work as simple as giving the umpires the power come together to decide if watching a replay is needed. if theres something questionable. they umpires can decide amongst themselves if they should go out back to watch a replay. If they don't think so, then that is that.

Replay should be there to help umpires, not point out their failures.

Man that was terribel! They actually showed the reaction time of the human eye vs. the time it took for the runner to touch base. There was a huge difference as we all know. Props to the ump for apologizing but Selig is a douche for not reverting the call!!! Take responsibility and step up! INSTANT REPLAY is on it's way....

Do what the umps do when fan interference is called: make the best educated guess as to if a run would have scored or not, or put the men back on base if it obvious they would not have been able to move up. I see your point, but I just think there is to much to be gained in the long wrong, and we both know neither of us is going to agree with each other.

Fair analogy, but isnt a best educated guess equal to or even worse than what they do currently without replay?

It all comes full circle and it ends up creating more problems than solutions.

I would have liked to see him get the perfect game yesterday just as much as everyone else, but to become a prisoner of the moment and totally revamp how the game is played seems like a reactionary move.

This was a time when replay would have been needed, but is an out call at first base in the 5th inning of a 6-4 game really needed?  I personally dont think so.

Back
Top Bottom